S4 switches off automatically

MMD87

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Can anybody help me with my new S4 GT-I9505 as it switches off automatically without any notification. It occurred several times i find my S4 switched off and the LED is blinking blue, the screen doesn't start up and i have to press the lock button to switch it back on. Any suggestions for this Problem????

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you meant the phone completely shuts off, or that the screen shuts off? From your statement "press the lock button to switch it back on" it's not clear to me whether you mean a long press to power up, or just a short press to turn the screen on.

If the phone shuts completely off, do you have an SD card inserted? I had either a bad card, or a corrupted file structure on a card I had in my S3 that caused the phone to shut down. Removing that card (and replacing it with another) solved that problem.

If that's not it, what software have you installed recently? Try removing recently installed apps, and see if that makes a difference. Have you rooted your phone, or attempted to do so?

If it's just the screen shutting off, it's supposed to do that.

MMD87

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Regarding your question about if the " phone completely shuts off, or that the screen shuts off?" I am really not sure if it completely shuts off or the screen shuts off as the screen is totally black and when pressing the home button there is no response meanwhile the LED indicator blinks with a blue color. I have to long press the Lock button for the mobile to come back to life ( after the long press Intro is shown as if the mobile has restarted or switched on back).

I have not rooted the my phone. I have a SD card inserted but it is brand new SANDISK card. I will try to search if any of the apps is causing the problem.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If it is powering down, have you disabled any native apps? I had a problem with mine turning itself off a few times a day. Thru trial and error, figured out it was due to me disabling the Google music play app. I re-enabled it and no shot downs for weeks.
T

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have not rooted the my phone. I have a SD card inserted but it is brand new SANDISK card. I will try to search if any of the apps is causing the problem.

Mine was also a brand new Sandisk card. The fact that it's brand new doesn't mean it can't be defective.

adcrasta

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 Switches Off Automatically (DO NOT BUY)

Hi, I bought my S4 two months ago. It worked well for these past two months. Two days ago the phone switched off by itself. By pressing the Home button there was no response so i used the Power button to switch it back on. The next day the same thing repeated, but this time the phone wouldnt switch on by pressing the power button. I had to plug it to charge and only then it would switch on by pressing the power button.

Observations

1) If the battery level before it turned off was around 60 percent, it would sometimes show 0 percent charge when i switch it back on by plugging it to the charger ( this i do within 5 minutes so the possibility that the battery got drained before i try restarting is ruled out).

2) The phone would switch off at any battery level 84, 67,73, or any other random number from the 0 to 100 scale. Before it switches off it might have run for like 15 mins on battery to 4 hrs on battery at max without any problem. There is no indication when it could turn off.

3) Sometimes when i switched it back on it would show the previous battery level same as when it switched off. (if it swiched off at 60 percent, when i restarted by plugging it to the charger it would still show 60 percent) This also happened sometimes so i cant draw a pattern here.

4)The phone would never switch off when charging. (This is the only consistent thing about the problem)

5) The Blue LED flickers when i try restarting without plugging it to the charger and i see the Samsung Logo with the Samsung Start Up Tone which also gets cut short. (The phone switches off then)

6) Sometimes the phone switches on properly without having to plug it to the charger. (Confusing)

7) Sometimes if i unplug the charger when the charge level is say for example 56 percent, the charge level automatically rises from 56 to say 82 when the phone is unplugged 1 percent at a time.

8) There were no system updates prior to the first time it switched off by itself.

9) The OS is working just fine when the phone is running. No issues with the performance of the device when it is running.

Any troubleshooting

a) I am pretty sure the battery has charge physically. So i did not try checking on another battery yet.

b) I had factory reset the device as a trial and error approach to solve the problem only to feel disappoined.

If this data could help please let me know your thoughts. It is a premium phone. Great functionality. I really hate that it has a darker side.

UPDATES :

THE BATTERY HAS SWOLLEN. PLS CHECK YOUR BATTERIES. DO NOT FURTHER USE, SUBMIT TO A SERVICE CENTER. (As on 12th Sep 2013)

Last edited:

lilbluerose32

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same issue... point by point that the previous thread specified. If anyone can help out with this it would be greatly appreciated. Love my new Samsung Galaxy, but this is just not right. Just came back from O/S and it was hopeless trying to communicate with my children via Skype with the phone switching off while not plugged into the charger!

adcrasta

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
As per my latest observation,

Pls check your battery

If it appears to be swollen, please discontinue further usage and submit your phone to a service center and explain all facts.

fernandojavier

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much...I've experience exactly the same issue the last week and was about to throw the bloody phone out of the window...but I just like it so much :)
Did it work well by just changing to a new battery?

fernandojavier

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
The battery is completly "roasted"!!!...Twice the thickness of a new battery!! Why would that happen?? I recall the phone getting really hot once or twice though. The guy at the service center had never seen something like that and wondered if I had charged the phone with non-original charger...which I might have done :(
Anyways, I'm glad I finally found out, and specially because it was a mere battery issue!!

MD 20

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Have the same problem with my S4. I press the screen button an nothing happens. The blue light is blinking. I have to hold the power button until the unit vibrates the it reboots. Sometimes I have to repeat this two or three times before the ATT logo and sound does its thing. I also have a memory card an its a SanDisk also.

ki3210

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Got the same problem my batter is swollen or bloated also but i got another problem i know samsung will replace the battery for free but in my case they WONT, I bought my galaxy s4 on a online store and they don't want to replace it due to i dont have any receipt that i bought it in my country that it was not bought in a authorized Samsung Philippines Store - on my country they are looking for the NTC (National Telecommunications Commission) sticker. So guys any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you in Advance!

woo_steph

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I got the same problem too!!
The battery is swollen !!!
Why is it like that? I have used it for less than half year, I don't think it's a long time...
The quality is just not so good, I would say><:mad:

maxjivi05

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If the battery is swollen then the battery has been discharged and recharged completely to the point that it's damaged. Should recharge it often and not go under 30% a lot

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Pratik Karnik

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
My too phone switches off automatically. I bought my S4 5-6 months ago. My battery is swollen. When i am using my phone or play games even with battery percentage 70% to 80% it gets switched off. And, when I switch on the power button to start my mobile, it does not start. To start it I connect to a charger or I remove the battery and i press the power button to get it start; or otherwise it does not get start. And when i start it, the battery percentage is 0%!

So should i buy a new battery or,
show it to the dealer?

udika0091

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Regarding your question about if the " phone completely shuts off, or that the screen shuts off?" I am really not sure if it completely shuts off or the screen shuts off as the screen is totally black and when pressing the home button there is no response meanwhile the LED indicator blinks with a blue color. I have to long press the Lock button for the mobile to come back to life ( after the long press Intro is shown as if the mobile has restarted or switched on back).

udika0091

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I also got the same problem broo...my 4n also switch off by it self...and I happened to press the power key and hold for some time to restart it..this is so upset for me...because I bought thisin last month..I also inserted SD card...is that the problem brothers

Pinky K

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Please get it repaired if your phone is under warranty. Even I was facing the same problem with one of my handset and there was a problem with the Integrated circuit mounted on the circuit board in the handset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs