10-06-2013 11:34 PM
61 123
tools
    SamuriHL, thank you so much for all your contribution, i am very grateful that I was able to fix my gimped phone (ext sd card write access) with your automated rooting process, and not even a trip on the flash counter! I didnt unlock the bootloader either and it worked.

I have a question. I really don't need constant root on my phone and prefer to just fix the sd card problem and unroot the phone.
    If for some reason I need to re root my phone again, Can I run your automated .bat file root method once again with no harm?

Just wanted to make sure since i dont want to make this a 700$ paperweight by accident.

Thanks!
    09-07-2013 05:39 AM
    Yea you can use it to root whenever you need. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
    09-08-2013 08:24 AM
    Glad you got it sorted out!
    So my S4 PE alerted me to another 4.3 system update that was available (consensus is that its a minor security update). My phone was rooted when it alerted me so I had remove root prior to installing the update. Once I removed root, I clicked the update but received an error during the install. Fortunately I didn't get stuck in a bootloop but I am concerned now. Why would I get an error? I removed root prior to taking the update. The only thing that I can think of is that I modified the Build.prop file and the "Generic.kl" file (within "/system/usr/keylayout" to enable soft buttons/disable hard buttons. Could that be the culprit? Perhaps I need to remove my modifications to the system filed before attempting the update again?
    09-12-2013 10:41 AM
    So my S4 PE alerted me to another 4.3 system update that was available (consensus is that its a minor security update). My phone was rooted when it alerted me so I had remove root prior to installing the update. Once I removed root, I clicked the update but received an error during the install. Fortunately I didn't get stuck in a bootloop but I am concerned now. Why would I get an error? I removed root prior to taking the update. The only thing that I can think of is that I modified the Build.prop file and the "Generic.kl" file (within "/system/usr/keylayout" to enable soft buttons/disable hard buttons. Could that be the culprit? Perhaps I need to remove my modifications to the system filed before attempting the update again?
    I had rooted my S4 GPE to fix the SD card problem. Today my phone notified me of the software update to 4.3. I did a full unroot (in SuperSU) and then installed the update. Everything worked first time
    09-12-2013 05:26 PM
    Received an error. That's not very descriptive is it? The error should tell you what the assertion failed on which will give a clue how to fix it. There's so much misinformation about taking updates whole rooted. Having su installed is not enough to have an update fail. Any modifications made to system files is enough to make it fail an assertion. You'll have to see what the error is to figure out how to fix it. It's not because of root though. It's because of something you did with root.

Carved in blood by a wakizashi...
    09-13-2013 12:24 AM
    Received an error. That's not very descriptive is it? The error should tell you what the assertion failed on which will give a clue how to fix it. There's so much misinformation about taking updates whole rooted. Having su installed is not enough to have an update fail. Any modifications made to system files is enough to make it fail an assertion. You'll have to see what the error is to figure out how to fix it. It's not because of root though. It's because of something you did with root.

During the install of the update, the Android logo would end up on its back with the word "Error" written over top. I didn't notice any particular notes on what the failure was related to though. Regardless of that, I figured out the culprit. As you mentioned, it was something I had done with Root. Shortly after posting my question, I remembered that I had modified the build.prop file (to get softkeys) and realized that it needed to be in its original state to accept the update. I simply reverted back to a backup of it and successfully took the update.

Sorry to have bothered you.
    SamuriHL likes this.
    09-13-2013 09:20 AM
    No bother at all. Glad you got it figured out. I posted a new version of the root script on xda earlier today for those that need to reroot after the update.

09-13-2013 11:49 PM
    No bother at all. Glad you got it figured out. I posted a new version of the root script on xda earlier today for those that need to reroot after the update.

I used your old script to achieve root after the update and had no problems. What is different with the newer script you wrote?
    09-17-2013 09:57 AM
    Fundamentally it works the same. I just updated the adb driver and supersu. And updated the cwm recovery image. And I made the script dynamically look for the supersu zip and the recovery img so that people can remove the old versions and replace them with updated versions in the future. No need to alter the script... Just delete the old recovery and supersu and drop new ones in.

kjnangre likes this.
    09-17-2013 11:58 PM
    Fundamentally it works the same. I just updated the adb driver and supersu. And updated the cwm recovery image. And I made the script dynamically look for the supersu zip and the recovery img so that people can remove the old versions and replace them with updated versions in the future. No need to alter the script... Just delete the old recovery and supersu and drop new ones in.

You have been an enormous amount of help thus far in our small community. With that said, when 4.4 drops (whenever that is), do you think you will be attempting to update your easy root method? I am sure that a few of us would be willing to make monetary contributions as a thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-06-2013 02:47 PM
    You have been an enormous amount of help thus far in our small community. With that said, when 4.4 drops (whenever that is), do you think you will be attempting to update your easy root method? I am sure that a few of us would be willing to make monetary contributions as a thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    It won't need to be updated. That was the point of the last update. Just replace the supersu zip file with the latest from Chainfire and you're golden. Also I believe we may see 4.3.1 before 4.4. Just an FYI. But Yea, whenever we get ota updates, install it, grab the latest supersu zip, and reroot it. That simple.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
    Sasazuka likes this.
    10-06-2013 11:34 PM
61 123