Photo storage location on S4 GE

jhbletsch

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Just received my S4 GE last week and love it. I have been using the stock camera app and feel that it takes great pictures while being super fast. However, I'd like to be able to store the photos on my 64GB SD card that I installed on the phone. Is this possible using the stock camera app? I can't find anywhere in the settings. I have several third party camera apps that see the SD card and have let me choose it as my default storage location. I could use them but the whole purpose of a GE phone is to run stock Android. Any help would be appreciated. That said, I would prefer not to root my phone. Thanks.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No. Since vanilla android does not use a micro ad card that is not an option for the camera on the S4 GE.

You can download a file utility like astro file and move your pictures over in batches to your micro card. The gallery should be able to see the pics on the sd card fine. Although an additional step, it does allow additional storage of pics, video and music which nexus devices cannot do.

jhbletsch

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I knew there would be trade offs in using a GE device. So far the speed, stability, and lower power consumption of stock Android easily outweigh a minor issue like this. I had thought photo quality might be an issue given what I read in the reviews of the GE devices but so far my pictures have been outstanding. As a photography enthusiast my standards are pretty high but the stock camera on the S4 GE can deliver the goods.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my S4 GE today. I have owned a Nexus 4 before and really liked the vanilla experience. I also have a S4 and like touch wiz also. I guess I will just switch SIM card for weeks at a time! I disliked the only 16GB of storage on the nexus. I have three cloud account but favor the micro sd card if I can get it!

I also disliked the camera on the nexus 4, so hopefully the LTE, better camera and ad card storage will make for better experience.

K Sizl

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the GES4 and am not crazy about the stock camera either, particularly with not being able to put the photos on my giant SD card. SO - I use the ProCapture camera app - love it. Allows you to change the default storage location and has, what I consider to be, more user friendly controls. It seems like Google overdid the simplicity angle on the new camera to the point where they stripped meaningful features and controls. I find it confusing to use and clumsy to change settings. Anyway - give ProCapture a try - good stuff.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Huge disappointment to me not to be able to use the stock camera to save photos/videos to external sd card..

decided to go with camera zoom fx to store pics, but still cant store videos to the external. oh well

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Huge disappointment to me not to be able to use the stock camera to save photos/videos to external sd card..

decided to go with camera zoom fx to store pics, but still cant store videos to the external. oh well

This was known before the phone even came out from the reviews. So funny you mentioned that app. I bought it many years ago for my Nexus S because it did not have a zoom on the stock camera app...and I received my GE S4 today and installed that app for my camera. It is very nice and of course you are able to save the photos to SD card. I shot some video and it is easy to move to the SD card where all of your other pictures and videos are using Astro file manager.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
This was known before the phone even came out from the reviews. So funny you mentioned that app. I bought it many years ago for my Nexus S because it did not have a zoom on the stock camera app...and I received my GE S4 today and installed that app for my camera. It is very nice and of course you are able to save the photos to SD card. I shot some video and it is easy to move to the SD card where all of your other pictures and videos are using Astro file manager.

yeah, i just wasn't aware - should have read more closely, not that it would have changed my purchase decision. glad you have that app - are you having any glitchiness going from camerazoomfx to the video recorder? i'm getting some freezing/blackscreen glitchiness

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
New question - if you move the "Gallery" app to the external SD card, will all of the camera pictures, video recordings be sent to the external, or will it totally just screw things up?

How to Install Android Apps to the SD Card by Default & Move Almost Any App to the SD Card

Seems there's a small workaround to getting apps on the external SD without rooting, just wondering what the implications would be for the gallery app or if there was anyone out there brave enough to try it...

Doesn't necessarily have to be that method: there's an app to move apps to the sd card as well:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&hl=en&token=eFPOQaes

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
New question - if you move the "Gallery" app to the external SD card, will all of the camera pictures, video recordings be sent to the external, or will it totally just screw things up?

How to Install Android Apps to the SD Card by Default & Move Almost Any App to the SD Card

Seems there's a small workaround to getting apps on the external SD without rooting, just wondering what the implications would be for the gallery app or if there was anyone out there brave enough to try it...

Doesn't necessarily have to be that method: there's an app to move apps to the sd card as well:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&hl=en&token=wPedItTw

Not sure since the gallery shows pics etc from the internal and SD card.

Posted via Android Central App

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Not sure since the gallery shows pics etc from the internal and SD card.

Posted via Android Central App

right.. that makes me think the gallery app just points to the spot where the dcim files are stored, and isn't related to the actual location of where they get sent... probably wouldn't work.. too bad, camera zoom fx has been pretty buggy for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge