09-01-2013 12:11 AM
64 123
tools
    I'm actually kinda surprised that somebody hasn't already started a thread that says: "Well, 4.3 was officially released, and Nexus devices are getting it now.... how long until GPe devices will get it?"

This will be a good test to see how a Nexus vs GPe phone gets "timely updates". Should be interesting...
    07-24-2013 11:31 PM
    I believe the GE S4 already has the camera update. Not sure what else is in 4.3? Just checked my Nexus 7 and no update yet.
    07-25-2013 12:06 AM
    I'm actually kinda surprised that somebody hasn't already started a thread that says: "Well, 4.3 was officially released, and Nexus devices are getting it now.... how long until GPe devices will get it?"

This will be a good test to see how a Nexus vs GPe phone gets "timely updates". Should be interesting...
    It shouldn't take too long, considering how the GPE phones are basically running the same AOSP code from Google, albeit a few OEM software implanted in the firmware.
    07-25-2013 03:44 AM
    My GE S4 should arrive today. Hopefully the 4.3 update wont be too long. I'm coming from a Nexus 4 and I'm used to quick speedy updates. Hopefully GPE devices will also be the same.
    07-25-2013 08:58 AM
    At yesterday's unveiling, Google stated that the GS4 and HTC One Google Editions will be receiving 4.3 "very soon". Much like everyone else here, I'm extremely curious to find out what their definition of "very soon" is. As noted by graye, this is definitely a good test of Google's ability to live up to its promises. For what it's worth, I've yet to receive 4.3 on my Nexus 10.
    07-25-2013 09:08 AM
    At yesterday's unveiling, Google stated that the GS4 and HTC One Google Editions will be receiving 4.3 "very soon". Much like everyone else here, I'm extremely curious to find out what their definition of "very soon" is. As noted by graye, this is definitely a good test of Google's ability to live up to its promises. For what it's worth, I've yet to receive 4.3 on my Nexus 10.
    i believe technically the phrase was that "nexus" devices would be receiving it very soon? Could be wrong though, but not sure if we count as a "nexus" device. My nexus7 hasn't received it yet either
    07-25-2013 09:23 AM
    i believe technically the phrase was that "nexus" devices would be receiving it very soon? Could be wrong though, but not sure if we count as a "nexus" device. My nexus7 hasn't received it yet either
    The article specifically stated "Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will be rolled out to the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, first-gen Nexus 7, and the Galaxy Nexus starting today, with the HTC One and Galaxy S4 Google Editions getting it "very soon" as well." Unfortunately, our devices (GP Editions) are not considered Nexus devices. Let's see what happens!

Android 4.3 announced, rolling out to Nexus devices today | The Verge
    07-25-2013 02:15 PM
    The article specifically stated "Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will be rolled out to the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, first-gen Nexus 7, and the Galaxy Nexus starting today, with the HTC One and Galaxy S4 Google Editions getting it "very soon" as well." Unfortunately, our devices (GP Editions) are not considered Nexus devices. Let's see what happens!

Android 4.3 announced, rolling out to Nexus devices today | The Verge
    you're right, my mistake. anyway, hopefully soon means soon!
    07-25-2013 02:42 PM
    The factory images for the Nexus devices were released right after the Google meeting. The GPE devices are "coming soon" and are *NOT* hosted by Google. That means they'll come from Samsung. That being said, it's more a test of how well Samsung is going to support this device....Google already did their part as evidenced by the JWR66V leak.
    07-25-2013 04:27 PM
    The factory images for the Nexus devices were released right after the Google meeting. The GPE devices are "coming soon" and are *NOT* hosted by Google. That means they'll come from Samsung. That being said, it's more a test of how well Samsung is going to support this device....Google already did their part as evidenced by the JWR66V leak.
    Correct. However, since this is a "Google Phone" and it's sold exclusively via the Play Store, I'm certain that Google plays a large part in the update process. Google actually stated that they will work directly with Samsung and HTC to ensure speedy updates. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a stipulation in their contract that requires the updates to be issued within a certain period of time.
    07-26-2013 09:18 AM
    Correct. However, since this is a "Google Phone" and it's sold exclusively via the Play Store, I'm certain that Google plays a large part in the update process. Google actually stated that they will work directly with Samsung and HTC to ensure speedy updates. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a stipulation in their contract that requires the updates to be issued within a certain period of time.
    I guess we'll find out. I can say for certain that their definition of "coming soon" does not match my own. If after the one week mark we still don't have the update then it'll be a pretty disappointing sign. I still think we'll see it before any other S4 variant, but, I kinda was hoping within a day or two of the source dropping. A week wouldn't be horrible. More than that and it starts to become a bit troubling. At least to me.
    07-26-2013 09:23 AM
    As of this morning, I still don't have the update on my Nexus 7 (why not Google??!!). I'll give Google/Samsung a couple of weeks with the S4 GPE before getting irritated about it.
    07-26-2013 11:30 AM
    I guess we'll find out. I can say for certain that their definition of "coming soon" does not match my own. If after the one week mark we still don't have the update then it'll be a pretty disappointing sign. I still think we'll see it before any other S4 variant, but, I kinda was hoping within a day or two of the source dropping. A week wouldn't be horrible. More than that and it starts to become a bit troubling. At least to me.
    A week? Even the Nexus devices will be staggered longer than that...When I had my Nexus 4, I waited like 2 weeks for 4.2.2. I have learned not to get too fast on the trigger and try to force an update until I have heard what it fixes and breaks. Still have not received it on my Nexus 7 and in no rush.

But having said that, I certainly understand that we bought these devices with the understanding that they would be updated much faster than carrier models but maybe not as fast as Nexus devices.
    07-26-2013 11:32 AM
    I'm not asking for the OTA to necessarily be pushed immediately. The nexus factory images dropped the same day Google announced 4.3. All I'm asking is for Samsung to post the factory image so that those of us who want to upgrade can. I understand quite well the nature of OTA updates and how those roll out.
    07-26-2013 11:44 AM
    My Nexus 10 hasn't received 4.3 either. With regards to the GS4 GPE, my realistic definition of "very soon" is 2-4 weeks after the Nexus devices. Anything over 4 weeks puts a dent into the intentions of having a GPE device, as one of the highly touted benefits was the issuance of prompt updates.
    07-26-2013 12:22 PM
    I'm not asking for the OTA to necessarily be pushed immediately. The nexus factory images dropped the same day Google announced 4.3. All I'm asking is for Samsung to post the factory image so that those of us who want to upgrade can. I understand quite well the nature of OTA updates and how those roll out.
    But the code is not exactly the same is it?
    07-26-2013 12:29 PM
    No, it's not the same, but, the leaks of the latest build show it's been worked on. I just want to see it get released in a timely fashion. The build is identical in version to the Nexus builds. I mean if I want to install it unofficially it's out there and has been for a while now. I just want it posted by Samsung.
    07-26-2013 12:59 PM
    Refreshed Nexus 7 will receive two updates at launch | TweakTown

Could this be the reason that we haven't seen 4.3 officially yet? The leaked build was forcibly removed on all sites by Samsung. We know it has many bugs. Maybe they're working on a new build like this? I could live with that!
    07-29-2013 10:35 PM
    Refreshed Nexus 7 will receive two updates at launch | TweakTown

Could this be the reason that we haven't seen 4.3 officially yet? The leaked build was forcibly removed on all sites by Samsung. We know it has many bugs. Maybe they're working on a new build like this? I could live with that!
    good find - sold my old nexus, and new nexus7 is arriving in the mail tomorrow. hopefully it'll run well with all the updates. my "realistic" expectation seeing this is more like 3-4 weeks for the S4 GE
    SamuriHL likes this.
    07-30-2013 09:30 AM
    I'm also hoping that all GE devices receive OTA updates within 3-4 weeks following an official release. Sammy and google really need to uphold their timely update promises on this line of GS4's.

Sent from my GS4 Google Edition using Tapatalk.
    07-30-2013 09:49 AM
    I would have liked to see a week, but, clearly that's not happening. And if they're working on bug fixes, I'm ok with that. Rather see a solid build than a quick one.
    07-30-2013 09:55 AM
    The latest 4.3 leak for the GS4 GPe is JWR66V, the same build that was released for the Nexus devices (except the new Nexus 7). I did the Google Services Framework trick on my Nexus 10 last Sunday and pulled the update on the 3rd attempt. It's possible that the update is very close to being pushed out. To add a bit of fuel to the conspiracy theory fire, it's also possible that the update is ready to go, but Google is intentionally withholding it, in order to stick to the Nexus philosophy and roll it out to those devices first.
    07-30-2013 10:24 AM
    There are bugs in the JWR66V S4 GPE leak. I'm HOPING against hope they haven't released it to do a new build that fixes the bugs. Things like TiBU and HBO Go not working. Sim unlock is broken. Samsung also forced everyone to take down the JWR66V leaks, so, maybe they're just trying to protect people from a bad release. I'm trying really hard to spin that in a positive light.
    07-30-2013 10:33 AM
    07-30-2013 11:12 AM
    Yea I saw that. That's pretty awesome news right there.
    07-30-2013 11:26 AM
64 123