which replacement camera app are you using

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
nice thread -

i'm using the camera zoom fx app and i can NOT recommend it. I was looking for a replacement camera app so I could auto save pictures to the micro sd card - well the camera effects and all are nice, but there are some huge problems - namely, 25-50% of the time, when you take a picture it will come out as completely black (not covering the camera with my finger) and the switch to recorder is glitchy and can result in the entire app crashing. Obviously it just switches to the stock recorder app, so it will not save videos to the sd card and also counts as a separate app running, albeit a fairly minor issue. i.e., when you switch back and forth with the stock camera/recorder, and then check which apps are running, only one of them will "count". For camerazoom fx, both the camera and the recorder are "on" at the same time

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
nice thread -

i'm using the camera zoom fx app and i can NOT recommend it. I was looking for a replacement camera app so I could auto save pictures to the micro sd card - well the camera effects and all are nice, but there are some huge problems - namely, 25-50% of the time, when you take a picture it will come out as completely black (not covering the camera with my finger) and the switch to recorder is glitchy and can result in the entire app crashing. Obviously it just switches to the stock recorder app, so it will not save videos to the sd card and also counts as a separate app running, albeit a fairly minor issue. i.e., when you switch back and forth with the stock camera/recorder, and then check which apps are running, only one of them will "count". For camerazoom fx, both the camera and the recorder are "on" at the same time

I am having some of the same issues with camera zoom fx. I emailed the developer so we'll see if they respond.

In the meantime I also cannot recommend as it is a paid app.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Personally the stock Camera app that comes with the GE Rom is just fine for me. But for people who want more features, I've heard good things about ProCamera.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.neaststudios.procapture&token=_DenePGq

They also have a free version to try first to see if you like it. Also the paid version is 50% off at the moment. It's currently $1.99

Kyoo and I liked the Camera Zoom FX because it allows you to save the pictures tot he SD card which the stock camera does not. Do you know if pro camera offers this?

Edit: I just purchased Procapture for 1.99 and will test it out. It DOES allow you to store the picture on the micro SD card on the Google Edition S4!

Last edited:

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I am having some of the same issues with camera zoom fx. I emailed the developer so we'll see if they respond.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

Kyoo and I liked the Camera Zoom FX because it allows you to save the pictures tot he SD card which the stock camera does not. Do you know if pro camera offers this?

Edit: I just purchased Procapture for 1.99 and will test it out. It DOES allow you to store the picture on the micro SD card on the Google Edition S4!

Please give a shout if it works well. I also emailed camera zoom fx a few days ago about the issues I had, no response, and of course no refund either..

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my GT-I9505G

Please give a shout if it works well. I also emailed camera zoom fx a few days ago about the issues I had, no response, and of course no refund either..

couldn't wait lol - it was half off in the app store. happy to report that it doesn't take black pictures, seems to have a little more options in the way of actually taking shots, less as far as picture effects go (fine with me), and no glitchiness when switching to the camcorder. the only 'issue' it has that the camerazoomfx also had is that it is a separate app from the camera app, which is understandable and minor.

it does allow me to save to the external card as planoman confirmed, albeit apparently a separate folder from the camerazoomfx. i'll take a closer look when i get the chance, but i can say right off the bat that it seems like a much more polished app compared to the camerazoomfx. Thanks to planoman for exploring this app.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm using camera jb+ on my phone.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

just gave this a shot - WOW - it is exactly the same as the stock android camera except it's been modified for certain things - like yes, the external sd card, and also for the video recorder as well! Now I'm really torn...

the only oddity of this app is that it has its own separate gallery that runs exactly the same as the stock gallery does.. that may bug me lol

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I switched from camera zoom fx to procapture.

The app is more polished and I have not had any black pictures or problems in switching to the video app which is the stock video app.

The layout is nice and you can save pics to your gallery on the SD card.

I did not like the zoom function so I enabled the function to use the volume button to zoom in and out. I would prefer pinch to zoom but this works OK. Also camera zoom fx seems a bit faster to focus and snap the picture and the burst function is much faster than procapture.

Overall the app works well and I recommend it. I have compares pictures with the stock app and procapture seems to take better pictures.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
just gave this a shot - WOW - it is exactly the same as the stock android camera except it's been modified for certain things - like yes, the external sd card, and also for the video recorder as well! Now I'm really torn...

the only oddity of this app is that it has its own separate gallery that runs exactly the same as the stock gallery does.. that may bug me lol

update on camera jb+ - it is the perfect camera if you're kind of a minimalist and don't want anything that isn't "stock" - this camera is exactly the same as stock, just adding some features (namely the external sd card saving option). This app will also save VIDEOS to the external sd card. I mentioned before that it adds another gallery app as well, and having two gallery (and camera) apps right next to each other bugged me initially, but if you actually disable the original gallery app in you settings, then this becomes the only camera and gallery app you have on the phone! perfect, literally exactly what I was looking for

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
update on camera jb+ - it is the perfect camera if you're kind of a minimalist and don't want anything that isn't "stock" - this camera is exactly the same as stock, just adding some features (namely the external sd card saving option). This app will also save VIDEOS to the external sd card. I mentioned before that it adds another gallery app as well, and having two gallery (and camera) apps right next to each other bugged me initially, but if you actually disable the original gallery app in you settings, then this becomes the only camera and gallery app you have on the phone! perfect, literally exactly what I was looking for

How did you disable the gallery? Does it show the pics already on your SD card? I have about 1200 pictures and videos on my SD card. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
How did you disable the gallery? Does it show the pics already on your SD card? I have about 1200 pictures and videos on my SD card. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

Settings > Apps > All - from there you can select and disable the Gallery, to my surprise. This removes the stock gallery app and the stock camera, leaving just the Camera JB+ and Gallery JB+. Both work exactly like the stock apps except have more features, including the ability to save to the sd card. I don't see why it couldn't access pictures in the SD card since the stock gallery can, and the photos it takes itself are saved there. It's a very clean solution if you're fine with the stock camera and all you want is to be able to save to SD.

sirannon

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Standard camera app but all photos are uploaded to Skydrive rather than stored on my phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Certainly! It beats the stock camera app anytime with its features. Anyway, you can disable the stock gallery so that you would only have one gallery.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
4.3 borked saving pictures to my SD card with procapture or Astro File manager. I have tired multiple cards and keep getting an error when I try to save pictures to the SD card with procapture or move and or copy/paste with Astro. The issue is writing to the SD card on 4.3

I also tried camera zoom FX and got an error and bought and tried JB+ and it did not work either nd I got a refund. I will email them to let them know.

Just wanted everyone to know or has anyone figured out how to do it?

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdvdbone88