Hi, All -- I'm seeing something odd on my new Google Play Edition Galaxy S4: on the Nexus phones I've used, misspelled words entered in text-editing apps (like Gmail) are underlined in red. This isn't happening with my Google Play Edition phone. Are others having the same experience?

I'm really frustrated with this missing functionality -- I'd come to rely on Android's spell checking.

Alan
    07-30-2013 08:05 PM
    Well, let's try some obvious stuff first...

from Setting, go to "Language and Input". There should be a checkbox for "Spell checker". It (obviously) should be checked.
    08-01-2013 02:46 PM
    Thanks. Yeah, that's checked. I don't think this is a settings issue: the settings are all identical to my Galaxy Nexus. But the spell checking just isn't happening on the Google Play S4. Unless someone else with a Google Play S4 _is_ seeing this red-underlining spell-checking behavior, I think this is a feature that was (intentionally or unintentionally) left off of the Google Play S4.

Though I'd love to be wrong! I'd be thrilled if there were a simple fix here...

Ideas?
    Alan
    08-01-2013 04:35 PM
    Yeah, you're right...

I played with the settings of the "Google Keyboard" too... There is a setting for how "aggressive" the autocorrect is, but turning it completely off doesn't turn on spell checking.
    08-01-2013 06:09 PM
    OK, and you're doing this on a Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 and not getting the spell checking?

If so, that means it's not just something weird with my phone. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about this. I'm going to call Google's device support line tomorrow and see what they say. I'm hoping this is a bug and not something that was for some reason deliberately left out.

Alan
    08-01-2013 07:26 PM
    Can anyone confirm whether or not this issue is fixed by the 4.3 update?
    08-03-2013 07:28 AM
    Has anyone found a work around to this issue? I've tried all the above fixes and nothing works. downloaded an 'app' that you had to write then spell check..it was bulky an annoying.. so I deleted it. Even my Droid 3 did underlined spell check..
    thanks
    BobC
    10-21-2013 07:00 AM
    There's no work around that I've been able to find. Google's aware of the issue. Maybe a future system update will fix the problem. Or maybe the only way out is to use a custom ROM or to buy a Nexus. But if anyone knows of another fix, please share!

Alan
    10-21-2013 08:19 AM
    I guess I never noticed because of the word prediction on SwiftKey. I just checked it out and no spell check. Strange

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    10-21-2013 12:07 PM
    I was breaking my head over this issue, trying to figure out what was wrong with the lack of spell checking on my Google Play Edition Galaxy S4, since it worked perfectly on my Nexus 4 with Android 4.3.

I really hate that it doesn’t work but its good to know that I’m not alone in my pain.

I think Samsung is the one to blame here since they give the final OK on the build version for this phone, and it doesn’t seem to be a Google Keyboard App issue but rather an OS issue...
    10-23-2013 12:54 AM