Headset audio intermittently switching to speaker

Matt Geiszler

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had a strange problem come up in the past few days - I listen to a lot of music via my headphones and intermittently the audio will switch off the headset and play into the speakers. This usually only lasts about 1-2 seconds and then resumes playing in the headset. I've got notifications on silent and I use SoundAbout to keep notifications from playing in the speakers when headphones are connected. When it does this seems to be spotty. Sometimes when I get an email, sometimes when the GPS is searching for a signal, sometimes, it just does it randomly. Is anyone else having this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a contact problem with the headphone jack. Sometimes junk like pocket lint can get into the jack and interfere with the contact points. Use a damp toothpick and root around, or blow out the jack with a can of compressed air, see if that helps.

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Also, try using the SoundAbout widget called "Headset Toggle". You can turn the widget ON and force the audio to stay with the headset.

Conrad Harrison

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like a contact problem with the headphone jack. Sometimes junk like pocket lint can get into the jack and interfere with the contact points. Use a damp toothpick and root around, or blow out the jack with a can of compressed air, see if that helps.

I see the same issue while I am on a call using the regular earspeakers. Sounds too similar to the original post to think its a jack contact issue. Anyone else seen the same issue?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see the same issue while I am on a call using the regular earspeakers. Sounds too similar to the original post to think its a jack contact issue. Anyone else seen the same issue?

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, can you clarify -- are you saying that when you're on a call using headphones, the sound will cut in and out? Is that what you mean by "regular earspeakers"? If so, then it could still be an issue with the headphone jack. If it isn't debris that's caught in there, then the jack itself might be faulty, perhaps with a loose internal connection somehow.

This is assuming, of course, that you've already tested out other headphones and found the same thing. If other headphones work normally, and your main headphones do the same thing in another phone, then it's probably an issue with your main headphones.

Conrad Harrison

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
... Sorry, can you clarify -- are you saying that when you're on a call using headphones, the sound will cut in and out? Is that what you mean by "regular earspeakers"? ...

No, I am not using headphones. I am using the "earspeaker" (the normal phone-against-the-ear mode).

Any case, looks like this has already been reported by someone in the google issuetracker for the beta program (yes, I am using Android 8.1.0 beta). Here is the link to the issues in the issue tracker:

https://issuetracker.google.com/69533040
https://issuetracker.google.com/69387788

Guess I'll track the fix there. Thanks for your response!