Pebble smartwatch

shaneturner

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Can someone help me im trying to find out what is the differece between a retail version and a kickstart version so confused.com

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me im trying to find out what is the differece between a retail version and a kickstart version so confused.com

Kickstart.com is where most of these start up projects begin and get their startup capital to begin a project like this. After they did that, the company/person could keep going and produce more of their products. Then they started selling to BestBuy and others.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Physically, next to nothing. There's an inscription on the back of the Kickstarter version that says "Kickstarter Edition" or some such. Because of the way my band works I can't see it without some effort, so I'm not sure of the exact wording. Newer version (from Best Buy, the website, or warranty replacements) don't have that inscription. I think the packaging may be different as well, as the Best Buy unboxing I saw looked very different from the one I received from the Kickstarter campaign. Not a big deal, though.

In terms of internals there really are no differences. As far as anyone outside of Pebble knows there have been not internal changes made to the design. You update the firmware of the watch to the latest version and one will work just as well as the other.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe the Sony watch and possibly the Samsung watch are coming soon. I would at least wait till mid September before making a decison.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a sony smartwatch. Honestly I wouldn't get too excited about smart watches. I got it because my pebble pre-order was so far off I didn't feel like waiting 6 months. The Sony watch does a bit more in terms of interacting with the phone but really with such small screen it's only really useful for: 1. reading text messages as the come in. (if a text message is too long or you get more than one close together it becomes tedious) 2. Reading email subject lines (same issues with text messages) 3. Accepting or rejecting calls. (I don't think the pebble can do that actually just shows caller-id....could be wrong). Everything else is just too fiddly or difficult on a screen that size and I don't imagine adding side buttons helps that much. I like my smart watch and would buy it again but thats all I really need out of it. I had hoped for more but maybe my expectations were a little high.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a sony smartwatch. Honestly I wouldn't get too excited about smart watches. I got it because my pebble pre-order was so far off I didn't feel like waiting 6 months. The Sony watch does a bit more in terms of interacting with the phone but really with such small screen it's only really useful for: 1. reading text messages as the come in. (if a text message is too long or you get more than one close together it becomes tedious) 2. Reading email subject lines (same issues with text messages) 3. Accepting or rejecting calls. (I don't think the pebble can do that actually just shows caller-id....could be wrong). Everything else is just too fiddly or difficult on a screen that size and I don't imagine adding side buttons helps that much. I like my smart watch and would buy it again but thats all I really need out of it. I had hoped for more but maybe my expectations were a little high.

Do you have the 1st model? Not sure how the 2nd model differs from the first? I am interested to see what samsung brings.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys and so is the pebble any good ? And what would u say is better the pebble or im watch ?

I haven't tried (and have never seen) the im watch but the little I do know about it doesn't excite me. $300 is a lot for a watch, and the prospect of having a complete Android device on my wrist sounds... complicated. I have enough trouble getting my phone and my tablet to share data, trying to do the same thing with my wrist sounds unfun. I looked at some early reviews when it was first released and nobody sounded impressed, although the software may have been improved since then.

The Pebble is a much simpler extension of your phone. I really like mine for email, text message, and calendar notifications but YMMV. I'm in a lot of meetings where it's much easier to take a quick look at my watch rather than pulling out my phone. I'm also MUCH more likely to notice a vibration on my wrist than in my pocket, especially while driving (really useful with a convertible). Although I wouldn't have recommended it a couple months ago the past couple software updates combined with being an Android user have made it much more useful and reliable. I still don't think I'd recommend it to iOS users; it really does hook into Android much better than iOS, and once they update the Android app with support for 4.3 Notification Listeners it should be perfect.

It really depends on how you operate on a day to day basis and if the functionality it provides would be useful to you. For me it lends itself really well to a business setting where it's really useful to see reminders and messages at a glance discretely.

By th way, the Pebble can reject calls, just not accept them.

shaneturner

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I cant wait for what samsung brings out, I dont no if u have seen it. But looks pretty cool if im honest. They said they are gonna release it on september the 4th with the note 3 so I think im gonna wait till then and then decide what I want but in my opinion I do like the pebble