S4 Overheating?

nightmicu

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I purchased an S4 last week and noticed that the device was getting pretty warm to the touch when doing simple things like browsing the web, texting, sending emails, etc. The heat was coming from the upper part of the phone, which my researched revealed to be the location of the CPU.

I installed Temp Monitor to check out the CPU temp and have found the following -
  • Charging - 32 to 40c+, based on ambient temp
  • Plugged in but charging complete - 28c in a well cooled room
  • Picked up from idling - 28c to 37c, depending on ambient temp
  • GPS while plugged in - 40 - 57c, positioned directly in front of car AC vent (vent mount)
  • Texting, emailing, web browsing - ranges greatly, often jumps to 60c+ and has restarted

A friend of mine said that hers has been hot since the day she got it. I'm still within my two week return period, trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to exchange it or if these are acceptable temp levels for this phone. 60+ is HOT!

Thanks

nightmicu

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
pkcable - have you checked to see what your temps are under the above mentioned situations? Does yours get warm in the upper part of the phone during normal use?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That's normal operation, as the default governor setting for Samsung's android kernels is "ondemand".

Ondemand makes your kernel sleep at the min setting and will bump up the frequency depending on whatever it is doing. So if you wake the phone and do something intensive right away without giving the cpu time to balance out, it can cause this issue. This is known to cause issues, as high CPU spikes can cause overheating, lag, or even crash your phone.

The stock kernel comes with 5 governors, and while Samsung doesn't give you any way to change them, you can do so yourself by installing a non-root CPU manager app. I would recommend "msm-dcvs" as that is probably the best out of all 5 of them. Besides ondemand, the other governors should only be used for specific purposes only.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
mine desnt get that warm...have a friend that his phone get hot while its charging..told him to take his back for replacement..

That is also normal, the phone has to convert current coming into it to a usable format. If you think the phone gets hot, try touching the charger while its in use. It has to convert 20-30 amps to 1-2 amps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2