Moving the Google Search Bar on Home Screen

PeteS457

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Probably a basic question. But how do I move the Google bar on the home screen on my SGS4GE. I don't want to remove it, I like it a lot. But I'd like it in the middle on my home screen underneath my weather widget instead of at the top.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to tap and hold on it. When the device vibrates a little bit and the widget seems to shrink, you can drag it where you'd like it to be and let go.

PeteS457

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
HI Scott. Yes, I had read that in another forum post. But it doesn't work for me. I hold it (and hold it), but it's stationary. Just FYI, this is the Google Edition w/ Android 4.3.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
HI Scott. Yes, I had read that in another forum post. But it doesn't work for me. I hold it (and hold it), but it's stationary. Just FYI, this is the Google Edition w/ Android 4.3.

I world love to remove it since I don't ever use it. I have a Nexus 7 with stuck Android obviously.

Tapatalking with the iPhone...

PeteS457

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using a launcher and I can move everything else (widgets, apps). The Google bar at the top of the home screen is the only thing I can't move.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh man I feel dumb. There's a setting somewhere for "persistant search bar". I totally forgot about this, and I apologize. Find that in your settings and uncheck it.

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I believe that the five home screens plus the persistent search bar are immutable features of the default Android launcher. So change launchers or live with them.

PeteS457

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It appears from the google research I'm doing that indeed you may be able to remove it by disabling Google Search as an app in Android. (Even then I don't think you can recover the space.) My problem is I don't want to remove it (I like it and use it for voice commands), I just want to move it to the center of my home screen. So far, it seems the only way to do this is to use a different launcher.

Kristin Drysdale

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm betting the problem has probably been resolved by now, however my little stepson and I just went through this and our solution turned out to be quite simple though not obvious. We rebooted the phone. B))

As soon as we turned it back on, the search bar was back in its rightful home spot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol