SMS and MMS Delivery Reports and Notifications Questions

Dr Bonz

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello. New to the forum. I just got my new S4 and I'm with Verizon. I have 4.2.2

I was setting up my text messages so that I can "long tap" any sent text, and choose "View message details" from the drop down menu and then see exactly when and if my text was received by its intended party. (It says "sent" and under delivery report is says "Pending" or "Received").

To get this to work, you have to place a check mark next to "delivery reports" in the settings menu for your text program.

That is all working just fine.

I ALSO want my phone to alert me to any INCOMING text messages with a sound and an envelope icon in the upper left hand part of the home screen. To do this, you have to place a check mark next to "notifications" in the same menu. This too, is working fine.

NOW, what happens though, is that not only do I get the alert sound and the envelope icon when I RECEIVE a text, but I also get this sound alert and the icon when I SEND a text!

I do not want or need this.

Can I just have it work so I get the sound and icon upon RECEIVING texts and NOT when I SEND one and STILL have my SMS and MMS delivery reports work?

Thanks so much for any help you can supply!

billo14

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm not getting the point either .......... according to the ID string: Forum
Samsung Android Phones
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Not really seeing how this subject is in the wrong place here. ????

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm not getting the point either .......... according to the ID string: Forum
Samsung Android Phones
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Not really seeing how this subject is in the wrong place here. ????

Because the original poster clearly states he's using the Verizon version of the phone. This forum is for the Google Play edition of the phone which doesn't even work on Verizon. They have COMPLETELY different builds of Android installed on them and therefore would have completely different troubleshooting to fix problems.

You don't think this forum would be more appropriate?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-samsung-galaxy-s4/

BethRogers

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
As far as I can tell, there's no way around this. If you enable "delivery reports" (in the text messaging settings), and if you've also enabled "notifications" for incoming text messages, then you will automatically get the same type of alert for both types of events (i.e., when you receive a text AND when you receive a delivery report).

Here's what I think is going on (I could be wrong, but it's the only explanation I can think of to explain this issue):

Take a look at a delivery report for one of the messages you've sent. You'll see that the delivery report says it was "received" and lists the date & time. Initially, I thought this meant that my message was "received" by the addressee at the date and time listed in the report. But now I'm thinking it actually means the date/time the report was "received" by your Phone.

I suppose you could test this by sending a text to someone you know & compare the time they received your message vs. the time shown on your delivery report. (If you're highly motivated to figure out what's going on:) ).

If this true, my best guess is that the "delivery report" is sent to your phone by the cell tower and/or carrier the same way any other text message is sent. And therefore it's Received by the phone the same way as any regular text. Kind of like a delivery receipt for an email message. Except it doesn't show as a real message but gets stored as an add-on piece of info attached to you original message. (Maybe)

If all of this is correct, then maybe there's a "workaround" where you could set up a filter for incoming messages with the subject line "delivery report", and set the customized notification as "silent". So you'd just get the status bar notifications but no alert sounds.

*** Clearly I've been thinking about this WAY too much trying to figure out what's going on. Perhaps an "EASIER" solution is for Android et.al. to let you customize the alerts/notifications for delivery reports... :) :)

Arad A

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site

If all of this is correct, then maybe there's a "workaround" where you could set up a filter for incoming messages with the subject line "delivery report", and set the customized notification as "silent". So you'd just get the status bar notifications but no alert sounds.

*** Clearly I've been thinking about this WAY too much trying to figure out what's going on. Perhaps an "EASIER" solution is for Android et.al. to let you customize the alerts/notifications for delivery reports... :) :)

Hi Beth,

Thanx for your reply; I liked it a lot.

I'd be grateful if you could explain me how to set up a filter for incoming messages with the subject line "delivery report" so I'd be able to try your trick.

Thanx again :) :)
Arad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci