Will I get Nexus 5

andymacnexus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I keep swapping between my s4 gpe and new note3.
What's wrong with me and will I give in and get the nexus 5, anyone else in a muddle like me:)
Sent from my GT-I9505G using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Nothing at all wrong with being a phone hore if you can be. I'm a device hore myself between my Note 3 and 3 tablets. If the Nexus 5 ends up being great go for it. You can always sell one if you feel the need.

andymacnexus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll need to sell one of my phones to fund the nexus , just can't help playing with new gadgets 😂

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
me too. I need to sell one of my S4's. I think I may test out craigslist with my s4 GPe although I think the ATT 32GB model would appeal to more people. My Moto X is near stock and the Nexus 5 will be stock so not sure it makes sense to keep the GPe...thought?

andymacnexus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks , I think I'll keep my note3 but sell the s4gpe to buy the nexus 5 , that way I'll have latest stock android but also the functions of the note3 with removable battery and sd slot.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
If the nexus has a larger battery than 2600 I will be tempted to sell my s4 gpe for a nexus 5. Can't wait to see what goodies the nexus 5 holds.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Although I've mentioned elsewhere that I was going to pass on the Nexus 5, I pulled the trigger on a 16GB white edition. My wife's Galaxy S3 is beginning to show signs of aging (the dreaded pink spot on the screen being one of them), so I may pass my GS4GE on to her...if the Nexus 5 impresses me more, that is!

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get a Nexus 5 also. This time around I'm not going to be one of the first to get one like when I got a nexus 4 last year. I'm going to wait for the rush to subside and going to order when the coast is clear.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get a Nexus 5 also. This time around I'm not going to be one of the first to get one like when I got a nexus 4 last year. I'm going to wait for the rush to subside and going to order when the coast is clear.

I was not in on the rush with the nexus 4. Apparently things are much better this time around. I ordered Friday and said it would ship by the 8th and I already have a tacking number for Tuesday delivery. (Nov 5)

JavaDevelop

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 5 32GB (white) on Wednesday.
Here's my early feedback (and spoiler, I'm considering returning it):
GOOD:
Love 4.4 KitKat --- new is good.
Performance is excellent.
Battery life, appears to be quite good (with the little use I've given it).
"Ok Google" from home screen is a nice addition.
32 GB storage is a needed gain, over the only 16 GB in the S4 GPe (since SD Card storage was broken with 4.3)

BAD:
Camera front and back is noticeably worse quality than S4 GPe. (Haven't tried video recording yet, so can't compare the 30FPS on N3 vs. 60FPS on S4 GPe).
Speaker. Listening to music, via the speaker, with Slacker or Google Play on N5 is awful. The audio sounds as if it's coming out of a a tin can, vs. the S4 GPe, which does clip audio at med-high levels, but at least has clear audio. I don't often play music from the speaker, so it's not a show stopper, but why should I downgrade from the decent speaker of the S4 GPe?

OVERALL:
I like the storage of the N5, the new OS, the performance, the look and feel. But, realizing that I will be taking a step back with both front/rear cameras, and the speaker, I'm inclined to return it and stay with the S4 GPe (Hoping that 4.4 KitKat comes soon, and brings back the capability for SD Card writing).

What do you think?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my Nexus 5 32GB on Tuesday but did not set it up till last night and have spend only today with it so I am going to withhold overall judgement. I sold my S4 GPe as well.

Getting used to kitkat. I like some things but not others. I already diabled hangouts messaging for 8SMS which is essentally stock. With 4.4 also coming to the GPe, not sure I would upgrade unless you just need to have the Nexus. I kinda like having 32GB and not having to worry about an ext SD card to mess with or get borked in an update. Overall the S4 GPe stacks up very well against the Nexus 5 if you get one used and not new from google play. I have not really noticed any perfomance difference as they are both very capable.

Last edited:

Terminatorbob

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Now that everyone has had a bit more time with the nexus 5, do you still prefer it to the s4 GPe?

I'm toying with the ideal of swapping my Nexus 5 for the s4 GPe. Mainly so I can have a extended battery and a better speaker.

How is the smoothness and lag compared to the nexus 5?

I didn't realize how choppy and laggy my note 2 actually was until I used this Nexus. That's not something that I want to go back to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Now that everyone has had a bit more time with the nexus 5, do you still prefer it to the s4 GPe?

I'm toying with the ideal of swapping my Nexus 5 for the s4 GPe. Mainly so I can have a extended battery and a better speaker.

How is the smoothness and lag compared to the nexus 5?

I didn't realize how choppy and laggy my note 2 actually was until I used this Nexus. That's not something that I want to go back to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The S4 GPe compare very well against the Nexus 5 and is very smooth and does have a AMOLED screen which is also very nice. I would just make sure you are familiar with the SD card issue from 4.3 not sure how it will be on 4.4. I sold my S4 GPe and went with the Nexus 5 since 32GB of stooge is enough for me. I did not want to have to root and fix my S4 GPe storage issue with very update.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The issue I have with the GPe phones is that TO ME they're not anywhere near worth the cost premium over the Nexus. Not even slightly almost kinda maybe could-be.

G Pad 8.3

Last edited:

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get the N5, but no ir. I use the ir at the gym, home, bar, best buy etc...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The issue I have with the GPe phones is that TO ME they're not anywhere near worth the cost premium over the Nexus. Not even slightly almost kinda maybe could-be.

G Pad 8.3

Maybe not over the Nexus 5 but it was for me over the Nexus 4. I picked one up mint for a lot less than 650. I sold it for close to what I payed, (within $30) to get the Nexus 5 with some change in my pocket!

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Count me in as another guy considering the Nexus5.. I just feel like it will "last" longer than the S4. If I were choosing a new phone from scratch I would hands down be choosing the N5.. how do they make it so cheap, yet the specs are so close to the S4 GPe?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Count me in as another guy considering the Nexus5.. I just feel like it will "last" longer than the S4. If I were choosing a new phone from scratch I would hands down be choosing the N5.. how do they make it so cheap, yet the specs are so close to the S4 GPe?

You can always get flash a custom ROM to the S4. You're not limited to what Samsung offers, especially since the S4 is a popular device. It's gotten plenty of developer support.

n7 LTE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol