Galaxy S4 Google Play edition - official Android 4.4 Kit Kat is rolling out now

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have factory reset twice and flashed the latest system image for the I9505G but still experience the strange speaker noise when I turn my volume up. Its strange in that it doesn't occur all the time though. When I turn up the volume, the beep is occasionally garbled. Almost as if it is beeping multiple times at the same time. Perhaps its a bug in the latest build? Is anyone else experiencing this?

lr1162

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The Upgrade is still not out yet in Malaysia.
Could be next year, so far the 4.3 which I upgraded via OTA is working fine
Hope the 4.4 will be better

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have factory reset twice and flashed the latest system image for the I9505G but still experience the strange speaker noise when I turn my volume up. Its strange in that it doesn't occur all the time though. When I turn up the volume, the beep is occasionally garbled. Almost as if it is beeping multiple times at the same time. Perhaps its a bug in the latest build? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I've seen this issue, not just you.

IR blaster not working sucks.

Gregor Smith

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Had a cornucopia of issues with this update, starting with a stuttery boot animation it just goes downhill from there. Even after a factory reset things like constant "unfortunately" failure(s) in android.media and exchange services making restoring music and images a massive pain, SMS & MMS backed up with GO Backup doesn't restore but this is more likely their issue, the SD card is gimped as noted above, no spinning K in the Android easter egg.

On the plus side, the music app is now sending more info like track time to my cars head unit via bluetooth, but that's superficial at best

I'm wishing I could downgrade back to 4.3 easily now.

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed the android.media process failure too. I have emailed Samsung to ask for assistance. Hopefully someone will see it, fix the issues, and issue an update with Bug Fixes

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Every time I start the phone I get com.android.phone failure message! Anyone else with the same issue?

I am not seeing that but I think it's clear that there are bugs in the update. I would advise everyone to write Samsung and report their issues. If enough of us write-in, then hopefully someone will notice and release another update with fixes.

shahramv

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the phone with Samsung tech support and they have no idea about their google play edition phones, and they are wondering how I got the 4.4 upgrade. Amazing!!! They are clueless

Gregor Smith

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Another thing I've just noticed is the signal strength indicators, H & H+ are lumped in with 3G, I was wondering why I saw 3G for the first time in years. So its just 2G, 3G, and LTE now, no differentiation in between.

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
False alarm ir blaster works. Samsung just switched it over to the new kit kat api and removed support for their old touchwiz specific implementation.

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I've just noticed is the signal strength indicators, H & H+ are lumped in with 3G, I was wondering why I saw 3G for the first time in years. So its just 2G, 3G, and LTE now, no differentiation in between.

That's not true I've seen H in the signal bar. I think 3g is supposed to represent hspa and H is supposed to be Hspa +

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I received an email back from Samsung giving me a generic statement about how they will "pass along [my] suggestion for future updates". With any luck, that will actually turn out to be true :/

JoeMcJoe

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone find out the way to move file to SD card without root. Please share.

Posted via Android Central App

Nope, not unless the 4.4 release fixes it?

Has anyone been successful in Google taking the phone back, as it can't write to the SD card. Without royally screwing up the upgrade process.

Gregor Smith

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Another hidden gimped feature... The front facing camera has been downgraded from a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 (full HD) to an inexplicable 640x480 (f'n VGA???)

This entire "update" has been an unmitigated disaster, how can I go back to 4.3?