is it safe to install Android 4.4 Kit Kat on my GE S4

JoeMcJoe

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The front facing camera resolution is reduced to VGA from 2 Mp.
The SD card write access no longer works for me.

Besides that, no huge issues.

jonnyships

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
You can write to the SD card (all writing was taken away with 4.3, ES Explorer used an exploit) with KitKat. However, only to the package directory. As an example, with FX File Explorer you can write to the /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/nextapp.fx/ folder. I just moved all my files over to that from the SD Card root dir. Now I can access and save **** to the sdcard.

Warning, this folder is deleted when you uninstall the app so you've been warned.

JoeMcJoe

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You can write to the SD card (all writing was taken away with 4.3, ES Explorer used an exploit) with KitKat. However, only to the package directory. As an example, with FX File Explorer you can write to the /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/nextapp.fx/ folder. I just moved all my files over to that from the SD Card root dir. Now I can access and save **** to the sdcard.

Warning, this folder is deleted when you uninstall the app so you've been warned.

I see now, that is what their sdk help files say.

It also mentions about the data being deleted on the uninstall of the app.
It seems as though they are trying to rain in the apps that write data to everywhere and don't clean up when they're uninstalled.

thanks

jonnyships

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I see now, that is what their sdk help files say.

It also mentions about the data being deleted on the uninstall of the app.
It seems as though they are trying to rain in the apps that write data to everywhere and don't clean up when they're uninstalled.

thanks

Also to address where apps can write to each other's files.

They might eventually bring this to the internal memory as well, but atm it would break too many apps. Maybe by 2016 we'd see the internal protected the same way.

What we need is a shared dir that any app can write to.

JoeMcJoe

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Also to address where apps can write to each other's files.

They might eventually bring this to the internal memory as well, but atm it would break too many apps. Maybe by 2016 we'd see the internal protected the same way.

What we need is a shared dir that any app can write to.

Yeah, for example, /extSdCard/Data, then let all apps write to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood