I see that the Galaxy S4 is listed as supporting it on T-Mobile's site, but I've also read that it's only in their branded phones.

It seems unlikely that Google would sell a phone that couldn't do it, but I don't know enough about what goes into the firmware under the covers.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?
    09-16-2014 08:37 PM
    I can't tell you if they will change how it is done in the future but right now it requires Tmobile firmware.
    jsabo likes this.
    09-16-2014 08:51 PM
    I see that the Galaxy S4 is listed as supporting it on T-Mobile's site, but I've also read that it's only in their branded phones.

It seems unlikely that Google would sell a phone that couldn't do it, but I don't know enough about what goes into the firmware under the covers.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?
    It's only for phones that they're selling directly. Not just any phone that is supported on the site. The Moto X was supported on the site as well, but T-Mo does not sell it.

And Google has never made a device with WiFi calling. I highly doubt they will add WiFi calling to the GPE S4 since it is carrier unlocked.
    09-16-2014 08:59 PM
    I know its not quite the same, but there is always wifi calling through hangouts.
    09-17-2014 09:46 AM
    It's only for phones that they're selling directly. Not just any phone that is supported on the site. The Moto X was supported on the site as well, but T-Mo does not sell it.

And Google has never made a device with WiFi calling. I highly doubt they will add WiFi calling to the GPE S4 since it is carrier unlocked.
    I was referring to this: WiFi Calling Phones | Cell Phones w / WiFi Calling Capability | T-Mobile

The Moto X isn't listed on there, but the branded S4 is. But I'm less hopeful about it today than I was yesterday.
    09-17-2014 03:17 PM
    I know its not quite the same, but there is always wifi calling through hangouts.
    We use VOIP at work, and I can use the app for Wifi calling, but it would have been nice for it to be more seamless and have my current T-Mobile number. Everything I've seen with the Hangouts app feels like a giant hack.
    09-17-2014 03:19 PM