Disable the voice that reads Google search results out loud?

Athalwolf

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Probably not the best title but the issue is driving me nuts.

If I do a Google voice search a female voice reads the results out loud. This is especially common with Wikipedia results. "According to Wikipedia..."

I would love to be able to turn her off but still retain the Google voice search which I love.

Thanks kindly for any assistance offered.

Athalwolf

Rdfemefatale

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
It depends on what phone you are using. On the Galaxy J7 Prime it is within the settings directly on the Google search page. Just google something from your phone and go to the upper left corner where the 3 lines are, click it, click on the gear (settings), click on "Voice" then click on "Speech output" and choose "Hand-fee only" this will stop it altogether EXCEPT when you put your phone on Hands-free.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, this setting on the Note 4 doesn't work as I already have mine set to hands free only and the voice STILL sounds. I don't even have Google Now enabled on my device to mess with any settings in it.

My issue seems to be in the Chrome browser when I perform a voice search by tapping on the microphone. The results are spoken by the same voice in the Google app, although the settings in the app don't seem to affect a Chrome search. I figured the Google app and Google search in Chrome were tied together and that the settings would apply to both but it doesn't on my Note 4.

Any other ideas, anyone?

PsypherMage

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree with Srvctec. I have hands-only turned on as well, and NOT have phone set to hands-only.

Chrome still insists on reading my searches out loud, in business meetings, in church. I can't seem to turn the thing off! Besides I'd much rather fellow along and have The Minister's manly voice read Galatians to me rather than that fem-bot in gargle.

I have an LG F60 phone.

Triciaburch

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
SOLVED- On your phone go to Google.com. Change it to from mobile to desktop version. Settings in the top right corner>Search Settings>Spoken Answers>Just show text.

Rob13470

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
NONE OF THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS WORK ON A SAMSUNG S8. HERE'S THE SOLUTION (copied from a link that I have lost):

Go to Chrome search page, tap the menu (3 dots at top right). Then tap "settings", scroll down and tap "site settings", scroll down and tap "sound". There is a toggle to turn off the sound, but leave that ON and hit "add exception" then you can add any site you want to silence, like google.com (WHICH WILL SILENCE THE RESULT OF GOOGLE SEARCHES)

Final note: why the hell does Google make us so hard?

SUCHAI N17

Mar 16, 2022
Visit site
Probably not the best title but the issue is driving me nuts.

If I do a Google voice search a female voice reads the results out loud. This is especially common with Wikipedia results. "According to Wikipedia..."

I would love to be able to turn her off but still retain the Google voice search which I love.

Thanks kindly for any assistance offered.

Athalwolf

This was the only way I stopped the woman reading out my voice searches permanently
Because when I saved it in chrome website to just show text and don't read searches out aloud it it would just turn back on itself
This works perfectly she hasn't read my searches out aloud since i did this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220316_182723.jpg
    Screenshot_20220316_182723.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220316_182938.jpg
    Screenshot_20220316_182938.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220316_182915.jpg
    Screenshot_20220316_182915.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220316_182742.jpg