Sigh....it's only the S4 by name

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really wish that when Samsung put "Mini" after the name of a flagship that they would at least try to keep the internals the same. If the rumored specs are true then this is decidedly mid-range.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I really wish that when Samsung put "Mini" after the name of a flagship that they would at least try to keep the internals the same. If the rumored specs are true then this is decidedly mid-range.

Yeah, I like big-screened phones but the manufacturers really should give a break to the small-screen lovers, even if it isn't extra-profitable. I guess they're following in the footsteps of the iPad mini and their own S3 mini.

muddy13

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree...shrink the phone and leave everything else the same. Give people with smaller hands another option. It really stinks that the manufacturers equate smaller phone/smaller screen size with mid-range or el-cheapo phones - why not give users who want a smaller screen size the high end options.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree...shrink the phone and leave everything else the same. Give people with smaller hands another option. It really stinks that the manufacturers equate smaller phone/smaller screen size with mid-range or el-cheapo phones - why not give users who want a smaller screen size the high end options.

I agree. Hobbits are sick of iPhones and want to join the green team.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of it a an upgraded S2, and as such am pretty excited about it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they just can't fit a big enough battery into a smaller form-factor to feed the fast processor and high-res screen. Using a slower chip and fewer pixels may give the mini a decent battery life despite the smaller package.

Anyhow, it looks like it would be a substantial upgrade over the Photon I am using now, and it runs the latest version of Android (which I really want.) If the battery life is okay and I can use it over-seas, I will probably get one. I'm actually pretty excited about this option, as the Photon is already a little larger than I want, and I really was unhappy about the size of the Galaxy 3 and 4.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they just can't fit a big enough battery into a smaller form-factor to feed the fast processor and high-res screen. Using a slower chip and fewer pixels may give the mini a decent battery life despite the smaller package.

I doubt it. Larger-screened phones are seeing substantial improvements in nearly all departments, while in the same period of time, small-screened phones are seeing minimal spec bumps. There are several big-screened phones with proportionally equal batteries, similar thicknesses, and superior specs.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree Kevin, but look at this from samsungs point of view. S4 sales have dropped by 30% and continue to fall. However they still have a lot of "spin" with the "galaxy S" name and their marketing department knows that it's easily recognizable. Now they want to come out with a new product, and they want to help sales of that product ANY way that they can. Putting it under the heading of "S4" will do just that. People will buy into the hype regardless of its lack luster specs, just so they can say they own a "S4 yadda yadda yadda". Personally I think it should have all (or at least most) of the same performance and features of the original, maybe just smaller in size, but I guess to samsung that makes too much sense, and they are interested in only one thing and that's making money. LOL.. :D

minime-thumb-717x537-114182.jpg

snakeim

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sigh....it's only the S4 by name/Alex Dobbie

Alex,

You are experienced and had this phone to play with, for a while.
I am coming from an IPhone 5 and was looking into Android as I still like the "liberty" of Android. I looked at Moto X which I like, software wise, but dislike the build quality. Don't get me wrong, the shape and size are phenomenal, but the build quality lacks. It makes some cheap noises when squeezed in the hand. Not to say that button are moving inside and are loose.
Now, my question, all Android devices start well and follow,( in a 6-12 months frame) being laggy... Don't know what is it, the Kernel, have no idea.
How's the S4 mini? How it is compared to the IPhone 5. Is it zippier, does it lag when coming from one applicaiton to another?
Please advise and thank you!

steviecapt

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

I recently changed from my s4 to the s4mini, i dont find the screen a problem, i think most people wouldnt be able to see the difference, unless you have the phones side by side, i for one sold my s4 because of the size, it was just too big to fit comfortably in my pockets, i dont want or need the best of everything on a phone, so long as it does what i need im happy, and about the s4, i used to switch off most of the gimicy features anyway, i found them just annoying, i think it all depends what you need from a phone, the s4 mini suits me better, but i do agree, samsung should have made the phone with the same specs as the s4, for people who liked the s4, but just wanted a smaller phone, alot of the new phones these days are getting silly sizes, i dont need a mini laptop in my pocket. ive had the s4 mini for over two weeks now, and i would recomend it to anyone looking for a smaller size phone to the so called flag ship models.

jusiako

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

A bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this:

According to GS4 Mini specifications on Samsung website (Galaxy S4 Mini - 4G, 3G, Wi-Fi, NFC, 8MP, 4.3), there should 16gb model also besides the 8gb model. Has anyone spotted the 16gb version being sold? Or possibly be available soon?

I'm really interested in GS4 Mini, but 8gb would be filled with apps in a second. 16gb of storage might be just sufficient. MicroSD card would be more for media rather than apps.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Agreed on the full featured phones not just for small hands but more active people like myself who don't want anything over 5" long in their pocket.

The S4 Mini which I checked out has a nice size , loud speakerphone, nice camera, fair screen , would be fine IF not limited to about 4.5 Gigs of internal memory!? After O.S. system eats,3 .5 gig.

Weird that it's not 16 Gig internal.

Not sure if it will function fully 4G in Metro PCS system either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge