Can apps be stored on the micro sd card on the s4 mini?
    09-11-2013 06:15 PM
    Can apps be stored on the micro sd card on the s4 mini?
    Welcome to the forums!
    You can't transfer all the data to an SD card, and the ability to move an app to the SD card depends on the developer. If the app developer supports it, it can be moved.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-11-2013 06:26 PM
    So does moving apps to the sd card work the same for the s4 mini as it does for the s4? I mean does the s4 allow you to move over a larger amount of the app than the s4 mini will allow or do they work the exact same? That make sense? Thanks.

EDIT: One more thing - do you have a source for that?
    09-11-2013 07:13 PM
    So does moving apps to the sd card work the same for the s4 mini as it does for the s4? I mean does the s4 allow you to move over a larger amount of the app than the s4 mini will allow or do they work the exact same? That make sense? Thanks.

EDIT: One more thing - do you have a source for that?
    Golfdriver has been a longtime member of the forums and is an ambassador, he knows what he's talking about. And I can also validate his statement as I develop for android.

Now then, to answer your question, it actually depends for device as official apps2sd support was dropped in android 4.0. Samsung is trying to bring it back to its flagships out of popular demand. So I don't know if the s4 mini will actually allow it or not, you'll just have to wait and see if someone more knowledgeable on the mini comes along.

Although I wouldn't expect the feature for non flagships, as the ability has to be configured differently per hardware setup. And Samsung doesn't have the time for all that with the development of tizen (or their other unbranded intel/Samsung os).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-11-2013 08:28 PM
    FYI Samsung isn't bringing it back because of popular demand. But because the s4 16gb storage is being sucked up by there touchwiz . so to try a free a little space they brought back apps2sd. But since Google stopped using apps2sd app developers need to go back in to there apps and ad the support back in a update.
    Golfdriver has been a longtime member of the forums and is an ambassador, he knows what he's talking about. And I can also validate his statement as I develop for android.

Now then, to answer your question, it actually depends for device as official apps2sd support was dropped in android 4.0. Samsung is trying to bring it back to its flagships out of popular demand. So I don't know if the s4 mini will actually allow it or not, you'll just have to wait and see if someone more knowledgeable on the mini comes along.

Although I wouldn't expect the feature for non flagships, as the ability has to be configured differently per hardware setup. And Samsung doesn't have the time for all that with the development of tizen (or their other unbranded intel/Samsung os).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    09-11-2013 09:05 PM
    I went to a store today which sells the S4 Mini and a member of staff there who owned the phone showed me that you can save apps to the micro sd card. In the settings for the app you select the 'move to sd card' option or whatever it is called, just like you do on the full sized S4.
    09-12-2013 12:44 PM
    Heres the catch about moving apps to SD. I know this is something I used to struggle with, so I wanted to share my learning experience with everyone else. Simply moving an app to SD usually doens't make much difference because the APK itself is usually somewhere between 3-50 MB. Any apps that require a large amount of data usually store the data on the internal memory. By default (without being rooted) there is no real way to move it off. So, even if you moved the app itself the large content download is still eating internal memory. Additionally, you must have taken the most recent OTA on the Samsung Galaxy S4 series, or have a ROM based on it to support moving to SD. Some of the earlier stock ROMs do not support it.

If you're rooted and want to move content you can use an app called Folder Mount. Folder Mount moves all of the data from your internal storage to your external storage, and then creates whats called a Symbolic Link (linux term) to the data on the SD Card. This is what I do to have about 15 Gameloft games on my phone at the same time. Again, you must be rooted to use this.

Hope this helps!

-Maria
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-12-2013 01:32 PM