Hi wondering if anyone could help,
    Just got my new s4 mini and i downloaded a ringtone and even though it is in the 'play music' section I can't set it as a ringtone, wondering if anyone knows what I could be doing wrong

thanks

Paddy
    09-25-2013 05:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, install a good file manager app like Total Commander (althought Samsung's might be good enough--I'm not familiar with what Samsung phones come with). Then look for your ringtone in the Downloads folder (which shows up on the home screen of Total Commander, but whose actual directory is /storage/sdcard0/download--it might also be called /storage/emulated/0/download). Select that ringtone and then copy it to the folder /storage/sdcard0/Ringtones (or /storage/sdcard0/media/audio/ringtones). Again, it might be called /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones or /storage/emulated/0/media/audio/ringtones.

Now go back to your Settings/Sound menu to select ringtones. You should find your new ringtone there. If you don't, try rebooting the phone.
    09-25-2013 05:24 PM
    Cheers trying to download total commander right now, also it seems to not be receiving messages properly because i have received numerous texts since starting with it but 2 people have said they have sent me texts and they don't seem to be coming through and I have checked they are not blocked or anything so any ideas?
    Also commander has downloaded but doesnt seem to pick up on the ringtone still, I had this ringtone downloaded off the app store on my previous phone and was fine and it downloaded fine and I can play it but it doesn't seem to register in the options for ringtones or the menu on the ringtone doesn't have an option for setting as a tone
    09-25-2013 05:36 PM
    How did you download the ringtone on your current phone? If you downloaded it using anything besides the browser, it may be in a download folder specific to that app.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-25-2013 06:02 PM
    It was downloaded through the google play store app
    09-25-2013 06:05 PM
    So it sounds like you downloaded an actual ringtone app from Google Play, not just a ringtone itself. Can you tell us the name of it so we can look at it more closely? Since it's an app, the ringtones themselves will be stored somewhere besides the Downloaded folder.

09-25-2013 06:14 PM
    no it is just the ringtone that has downloaded and thats all it said it was before i downloaded, any ideas about the sms problem, i have checked they are not getting put in spam etc and no luck
    09-25-2013 06:22 PM
    Just click the "Music" icon in your Application. Click the big Note symbol on the lower part of the screen, this will lead you to your previous music played. Then click the Menu button on left side of Home Button. Press "Set As" to change your Ringtone. To see all music list, just press the small Note symbol in the lower right of the music screen and select your desired ringtone.
    09-25-2013 06:28 PM
    no it is just the ringtone that has downloaded and thats all it said it was before i downloaded, any ideas about the sms problem, i have checked they are not getting put in spam etc and no luck
    I can't comment on the SMS issue except that maybe it's a network issue.

Are you downloading the ringtone as an actual music track from Google Play Music, or as an app from the App section?

09-25-2013 06:39 PM
    it was downloaded as a ringtone track and it appears in the music section but there is no option to set it as a ringtone
    09-26-2013 07:04 AM
    Identifying music that you downloaded to your phone using Google Music can be difficult, because the tracks are saved in an obscure menu under a coded filename. The directory is /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.google.android.music/files/music. The only way to figure out which one of those coded files is your ringtone is to play each one (or try to deduce it from the download date).

I suggest going to Google Music on your desktop, finding your ringtone, and downloading it there. The mp3 that downloads to your computer will have the actual filename, and you can then transfer it to your phone via USB cable, wirelessly, or using Google Drive. Move it to the Ringtones folder as described above.
    09-26-2013 10:57 AM