Galaxy S4 Mini: Screen keeps turning back on!

Andrew Russell1

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
So recently, I dropped my phone in the toilet and luckily it got caught. Basically, I flushed the toilet and in the process I dropped my phone in the toilet; my response was to fish it out as soon as possible so it was in there for no longer than 8 seconds.

My phone is completely fine except for the fact that if I try and put the screen on standby, it turns right back on! The button feels very slightly different before and after the dip my phone had in toilet water. It doesn't help that it knocked against the wall of the toilet.

As far as I know, I fished it out straight away, turned my phone off then dismantled it and left is over the radiator for a few minutes. Now it is currently sitting on some clothing at an angle in the hope it absorbs any seeping moisture.

Are there any solutions? :'(

EDIT: Additionally, I just found out that the speaker does not work for apps or music (Soundcloud) but it works for when I move the ringtone sound levels up and down - luckily, I don't really use the speaker thought it'd be nice to fix up! Earphone jack seems perfectly fine (thank god!), so I can listen to music through earphones perfectly fine, just not through the speakers.

EDIT 2: Now the speakers for the Apps and music seem to work! Just the problem of the screen not turning of :/

Last edited:

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
So recently, I dropped my phone in the toilet and luckily it got caught. Basically, I flushed the toilet and in the process I dropped my phone in the toilet; my response was to fish it out as soon as possible so it was in there for no longer than 8 seconds.

My phone is completely fine except for the fact that if I try and put the screen on standby, it turns right back on! The button feels very slightly different before and after the dip my phone had in toilet water. It doesn't help that it knocked against the wall of the toilet.

As far as I know, I fished it out straight away, turned my phone off then dismantled it and left is over the radiator for a few minutes. Now it is currently sitting on some clothing at an angle in the hope it absorbs any seeping moisture.

Are there any solutions? :'(

EDIT: Additionally, I just found out that the speaker does not work for apps or music (Soundcloud) but it works for when I move the ringtone sound levels up and down - luckily, I don't really use the speaker thought it'd be nice to fix up! Earphone jack seems perfectly fine (thank god!), so I can listen to music through earphones perfectly fine, just not through the speakers.

EDIT 2: Now the speakers for the Apps and music seem to work! Just the problem of the screen not turning of :/

It happens the same with an old Nokia I had three years ago, luckily for me the warranty was over and I could open it piece by piece, so the water can dry. I guess yours is still in warranty, maybe you can ask an expert from the store you buy it, to analyze it, without losing it

JustTempUser

May 13, 2014
Visit site
My GT-i9195 felt into sea (with me) and I had exactly the same problem as you had. Both fixed! Read more...

The first problem with allways-connected-jack has been solved by disassembling the device and gently cleaning boards with clean water and soft toothbrush, especially the jack component (it is completely separatable and it is good to put it under water and clean it properly). It is very imporant to dry everything as soon as possible beacuse of corrosion and oxidation.

Video tutorial how to disassemble S4 Mini is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOKKoxu3L4

The second (more annoying issue) has not been solved by cleaning all of these internal components. The screen was still turning on immediately. The phone passed all of its internal tests and in sub-key test was everything also OK. BUT I had found out that after turning off the screen the Home button was pressed (automaticly) too. Most probably the button is somehow connected with the side button and water can damage it (and it is not possible to disassemble and clean it since whole front side is not accessible). Okay, so what is the solution? Well complicated but working. You have to root the device and disable wake up function with the Home button. To do this (carefully) follow this guide [MOD]i9195 Disable HOME button on lockscreen(rooted stock rom)[MOD] - xda-developers and you are done!

P.S. Please excuse me for gramatical mistakes. EN is not my mother tongue. Thank you!

Last edited:

peperox

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
I got the same screen problem after my friend dropped my phone into a beer. How did you know for sure, that the problem was with the home button? It could be the power button also, isn't it?

JustTempUser

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
I got the same screen problem after my friend dropped my phone into a beer. How did you know for sure, that the problem was with the home button? It could be the power button also, isn't it?
Because of quick S Voice feature. By default if you double tap the Home button the S Voice feature appears. When I had the issue with turning-on screen and I pressed the button once immediately after 'automatic' wake up, the S Voice came up to the screen. That was the clue ;-)

Jo Vanbellinghen

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thx man!

This is really a guide that helped me very well!

My cell phone was continu turning on but I rooted.
Then changed the files that were necesarry and now the phone is back to normal!

You saved me 200€:):):):)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi!! I have EXACTLY the same issue.. I can't claim warranty also as it is liquid damage! My phone home screen keeps turning back on.. can u please help me with this? How did u fix this! :) :( Eagerly awaiting a reply!!

Thanks so much, in advance!

JustTempUser

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Thx man!

This is really a guide that helped me very well!

My cell phone was continu turning on but I rooted.
Then changed the files that were necesarry and now the phone is back to normal!

You saved me 200€:):):):)
You are welcome :)

Hi!! I have EXACTLY the same issue.. I can't claim warranty also as it is liquid damage! My phone home screen keeps turning back on.. can u please help me with this? How did u fix this! :) :( Eagerly awaiting a reply!!

Thanks so much, in advance!
There is an answer already. Read the threat again.

Amanda Mungroo

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hii...the same happened to my S4 mini as well, but my phone was not in water for more than 5 secs
when i checked...my screen kept rotating and my speakers we not working properly
I immediately took out the battery and placed it in rice for approx 5 hours....the speaker problem was fixed, as well as the screen rotation... BUT my screen wont shut off
Before if I would push the power button enough times it would shut off
But not (after about 3 weeks) it is constantly on and it drains my battery

Is the only solution opening up my phone? Can it be a problem with the digitizer?
thanks for any help :(

JustTempUser

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hii...the same happened to my S4 mini as well, but my phone was not in water for more than 5 secs
when i checked...my screen kept rotating and my speakers we not working properly
I immediately took out the battery and placed it in rice for approx 5 hours....the speaker problem was fixed, as well as the screen rotation... BUT my screen wont shut off
Before if I would push the power button enough times it would shut off
But not (after about 3 weeks) it is constantly on and it drains my battery

Is the only solution opening up my phone? Can it be a problem with the digitizer?
thanks for any help :(

Looks like you don't have to. Just root the phone and disable the waking up function as I described above.

Terry Crow

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
the same thing is going on with my s4 mini and it has never been in water as far as i know. this is my second phone my first one got cold and i plugged it in to charge a message came up saying charging stopped battery to cold. but it wasn't it refused to charge after that.so my phone is a replacement phone thats been rebuilt.does it work to do a factory reset on the phone or not

JustTempUser

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Factory reset doesn't work on that.

Few weeks ago I figured out that there is complete solution. Most probably S4 mini firmware has some "feature" which starts waking up the phone when it recognizes water (or condensation) on a certain spot in the phone. Full recovery could be done by reflashing ROM by original stock ROM from your mobile provider. After that it works normally again.

Joost Dancet

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Due to water damage the Samsung Galaxy 4 Mini of my daughter couldn’t be turned off to sleep. As soon as you turned off the device it went on again. Cleaning the inside - like suggested on numerous web sites - didn’t help. Neither did the advice given on this web site. By some coincidence - I was installing an SSD in my MacBook at that time - I found an easy solution. I only had to put a magnet on the screen at a specific place. After some experiments, I put the little magnet on the inside of the flip cover of the mobile phone. The phone is now working just like before.IMG_0209.JPG