Software Update Draining Battery

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, try wiping the cache partition, which can sometimes help after a system update: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support

If that doesn't help, then it would help to see some of your battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

DL_M

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Have the same problem with update to 4.4.2. Have just wiped the cache partition, but according to Battery Info Messages are using 29% of CPU, and Android System is using 26%. Have contacted Samsung and waiting for a reply. I want my old phone back...

Anyone found a solution to this???

lunytnz

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I found the battery draining rapidly (lasted only 6 hours) on my S4 Mini after installing the KitKat 4.4.2 update. The most significant difference in battery life came from changing the Location mode from 'High accuracy' to 'GPS only'. Battery life seems normal, again, when in 'GPS only' mode.

DL_M

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok so got in touch with Samsung Customer service who to their credit got back to me within 24 hours...this was their reply:

In response to your query, I recommend performing a factory data reset.

A factory reset will erase all of the information stored on your device and will restore the software to original manufacturer settings. It will not remove software updates but it can undo any changes to settings that might be causing you problems.

This process will erase all of your data so a full back up using Samsung KIES is strongly advised before conducting a factory reset.

In order to back up your data, you will need to install KIES onto your PC. There are two versions of KIES: the one you need depends on what version of Android your Samsung device is using.

To check the Android version of your device, please follow these steps:

1. Go to your Apps
2. Then to Settings
3. Click on More
4. Click About Device
5. Here you will see your Android version
If your Android version is 4.3 or above, you will need to download KIES 3. If your Android version is below 4.3, please download KIES.

You can download both versions from this link:

Samsung KIES

Once the correct version is installed, please follow these steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer using the Samsung USB Cable that came with your device (the charging cable with the plug head removed)
2. Open KIES and click the Back Up/Restore tab.
3. Click Data Backup
4. Mark the check box next to the content you want to back up. You can select all content by marking the check box next to Select all Items. Click Backup.
5. Click Complete when the backup is finished.
6. You can have KIES automatically back up your device every time it’s connected by clicking the check box next to Automatically back up when USB connection is established.

To factory reset the device please follow the next steps:

1. From the Home Screen, tap the Applications menu item.
2. Tap on Settings.
3. Scroll down to Privacy and tap it.
4. Tap the Factory Data Reset menu item.
5. Tap the Reset phone button.
6. Tap the Erase Everything button.

Your phone will now reset and will begin the initial start-up process. Please ensure that you have your various accounts’ details ready – e.g., Samsung account, email account, Wi-Fi.

Did this last night and situation seems considerably better today. Hope this helps others.

D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay