just got my new S4 mini (no more iphone, yeah!)

But, I don't get instant notifications of emails?? I don't have a "push" option is sync settings, and the shortest sync schedule is 15 min!!!

I have an AT&T email address, with AT&T phone.

I tried the AT&T Mail app but it gets stuck on "initializing mailbox", and doesn't ever do anything.

Please send help, (even if it's "you're too stupid to own an adroid")
    02-07-2015 09:37 AM
    First, make sure that your AT&T email account is IMAP and supports push notifications. Not all IMAP service does. If your account is POP3 push is not available.

Second, you need an email client that supports push, not all do. I don't have a Samsung but I believe the stock email app is supplied by Samsung, not Google so I don't know if it supports push. But you said the option isn't there. Apparently you need to install another email app with push support such as K9, Cloud Magic or my all-time favorite, AquaMail.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    02-07-2015 11:21 AM
    OK, loaded up Aquamail, but it doesn't PUSH either! I get no notification sounds or icon indication. I have to do a manual sync to get emails, and then it shows icon indication of unread messages. I've checked PUSH settings. What else do I need to check?

I'm using an att.net email account.
    02-08-2015 10:29 AM
    Been on the phone with AT&T support several hours. Aquamail will not push at all, ever. AT&T mail will only push when I disable the wifi. It will not push while I'm connected to wifi?????

Samsung OEM email app won't push either. I don't like the AT&T email format, would rather use Aquamail, but I have to have something that will PUSH. I need to get instant notifications of emails.

Any suggestions????
    02-08-2015 03:01 PM
    AquaMail absolutely DOES support push. I use it for 4 Gmail accounts and 1 non-Gmail. To be sure it's enabled go to:

Main settings > Mail, receiving > check IMAP push

There's also an option there to use push on WiFi only to save mobile data. Yes, push does work on WiFi. Definitely.

Again, make sure that AT&T's email service is set to IMAP, not POP3. POP 3 does not offer push. Make sure that AT&T's IMAP supports push. Most IMAP services do, but not all. If it does make sure it's enabled by AT&T.

If AT&T can get their act together there's no reason this shouldn't work.

02-08-2015 03:53 PM
    I tried 3 different times. each time uninstalling, power off, reinstalling. Never go it to notify me. I could only get emails if I opened the app and synced. I really wish I could get it to work.
    02-08-2015 04:19 PM
    To be perfectly clear, email is not downloaded when you get a push notification. That's not what push is. You only get a *notification* pushed to you that you have new mail. Mail is only downloaded when:

1. An automatic timed sync runs.

2. You do a manual sync.

3. You vou open a mail folder - inbox, sent, whatever - and by doing so that forces a sync *of that folder*.

02-08-2015 05:08 PM
    Yes, I understand that. The issue is I DO NOT GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS with Aquamail. (no notification, no count bubble on icon). I only get notified once I open the app and swipe to check for new emails. If I then close the app I see the count bubble on the app icon.
    02-08-2015 08:21 PM
    OK, I just wanted to be sure you understood exactly how this works.

That said, I don't know what else to tell you except this: AquaMail absolutely works with push notifications. K9 and several other email clients will too.

I did a little Google searching for AT&T push email and oddly, didn't really find anything. AT&T must either know how to activate push or maybe they're just idiots. I don't know. But enabling it in AquaMail, and probably any email app, is just a check box, super simple. If it's not working it must be an AT&T issue.

02-09-2015 12:19 AM
    OK, so I determined that I am getting IMAP push notifications. I was just used to emails hitting my iPhone almost instantly, but with this android phone it doesn't necessarily do that. Sometimes I get notifications quickly, less than 2 min. But at times it can take up to 25 min before I get a IMAP notification. According to AT&T and Samsung Tech support , there's nothing they can do about that.

Not all change is good . . .
    02-14-2015 12:36 PM
    Hmmm...that's kinda odd. I always get notifications very quickly, usually a few seconds. I can't remember it taking over a minute from any sender. Offhand, the only things I can think of is AT&T is taking its time doing security scans of incoming email, or the email app you're using is not liking the AT&T mail server notification instructions.

It definitely has nothing to do with Android the OS. Android doesn't handle email. Do you have the problem with all email clients?

02-14-2015 01:57 PM
    just got my new S4 mini (no more iphone, yeah!)

But, I don't get instant notifications of emails?? I don't have a "push" option is sync settings, and the shortest sync schedule is 15 min!!!

I have an AT&T email address, with AT&T phone.

I tried the AT&T Mail app but it gets stuck on "initializing mailbox", and doesn't ever do anything.

Please send help, (even if it's "you're too stupid to own an adroid")
    02-15-2015 03:10 AM
    Try calling AT&T tech help they helped me with a complex problems that the stores couldn't . I use all gmail and i.get instant push. Ill.have to create an email and see what happens. Did you try opening your mailbox ap and in those settings you can set up push for all your accounts one at a time and I've had no problem since. Good luck.
    02-15-2015 03:19 AM