Can't send texts to numbers with a country code from my S4 mini imported from US (verizon)

alotsop

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hello
I bought this phone on ebay and I have a few issues with it, e.g. the "simcard of an unknown source" notification, 4G not functionning and unavailable software updates. But the most annoying one is the inability to send texts to phone numbers with a country code, e.g. +44. That means that I cannot reply to texts directly and I have to pick the number from the contacts instead. If I forget about it, I end up waiting for a reply forever because the recipient has never got my message. My phone does not give me a notification that the message has not been sent. It gets even worse if I want to text someone in another country because the country code is necessary for that purpose. My phone, however, will not send a message with a code. Sometimes I get a notification that the length of the number is wrong.

I have switched off assisted dialling (e.g. adding a country code when roaming) and tried to set up the "current country" to United Kingdom on both 234 and 235. The messaging settings do not include "message centre" to check that. I rang the EE helpdesk. The lady tried many things but did not succeed. Amongst others, she tried to dial into my phone but that was not possible either.

Is there anything I can still do?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Assuming the phone is unlocked, your ability to text different numbers in different countries is usually not a function of the phone, but of your local carrier and service plan, who build those rules into the SIM card they provide to you. You'll have to take it up with your carrier. In the interim, instant messaging via Skype, WhatsApp, Hangouts or similar apps might provide a short term fix.

alotsop

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you KCAndroid1. The thing is that my calling plan includes international calls and texts. I can send them from other phones with the same SIM card. This is the mystery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome