[AT&T] AT&T Has a locked bootloader?

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
So im hearing on xda the s4 at&t model has a locked bootloader and we cannot root. Anybody know if thats BS? If so ill probably take mine back and get a htc one instead.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: root?

I know that both the US and International versions have already been rooted, so I would assume that it isn't true

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site

Here's the link: Samsung Galaxy S 4 review

Scroll down to where it says, "New Features" it states Samsung has confirmed the bootloader is locked. But who knows, Engadget also said the HTC One Bootloader would be immediately re-locked when it was released...and it's not

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

FYI the US verion has not been rooted. Only the overseas models. I read koush or however you spell his name confirmed the bootloader is locked tight.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site

I know that both the US and International versions have already been rooted, so I would assume that it isn't true

Not saying I don't believe you..but do you have a link with this info? I didn't anyone had a S4 yet except the reviewers. I'm thinking about picking this up on my other line. But if it is locked down, I'm gonna pass.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Not saying I don't believe you..but do you have a link with this info? I didn't anyone had a S4 yet except the reviewers. I'm thinking about picking this up on my other line. But if it is locked down, I'm gonna pass.

FYI the US verion has not been rooted. Only the overseas models. I read koush or however you spell his name confirmed the bootloader is locked tight.

Here is the link I found about the Qualcomm being Rooted

Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Featuring Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 Processor Gets Rooted Successfully: Here

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

From the Galaxy Note threads on XDA a while back there was a team working on cracking that root and they got it, then Verizon rolled out a patch and they flipped them the bird and cracked it again. Not sure how bad this one is, but if its going to be this problematic I am glad I am waiting for the 32GB version because there would be no getting the tweaks to swap memory around or anything else.

The really irritating thing is Samsung should be supporting their users who want to root and perhaps the developer edition will be along soon after launch, but perhaps it will be months later.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

a few users got their s4's today and i quote one user:

"The bootloader IS locked. Notice WRITE PROTECTION: Enable".

as soon as mine comes tomorrow im exchanging for the htc one.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I am an HTC guy who will be switching to the S4. With Samsung and Motorola, a locked bootloader did not mean that you could not root. I'm sure root will be available quickly. HTC however, you need an unlocked boot loader to root. But they have a separate security level (S-on or Off) that would be need to flash roms easier and get to the radio's. I know the Verizon S-3 was rooted before the bootloader was cracked.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

a few users got their s4's today and i quote one user:

"The bootloader IS locked. Notice WRITE PROTECTION: Enable".

as soon as mine comes tomorrow im exchanging for the htc one.

Really damn that sucks, is this only the AT&T version?
U getting the Developers Edition of the HTC One?

I'm sure there will be a workaround eventually

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Really damn that sucks, is this only the AT&T version?
U getting the Developers Edition of the HTC One?

I'm sure there will be a workaround eventually

To be honest i dont know what ill be doing. No i wont pay full price for the one. I called at&t and they dont have any 64gb models, there all backordered.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Hoping there will be a developer edition of the GS4 for AT&T, since I am waiting anyways for the 32GB version and with luck root will be resolved by the time it arrives.

JL84

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

You guys not buying a phone because its locked are so funny. I can't understand it being such an importance of buy or return lol

Nonya76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I don't understand. Why is a locked bootloader such a big deal? Isn't it only a matter of time 'till its unlocked as well? I went through this with the HTC One X, so is it different this time??

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You guys not buying a phone because its locked are so funny. I can't understand it being such an importance of buy or return lol

I don't understand. Why is a locked bootloader such a big deal? Isn't it only a matter of time 'till its unlocked as well? I went through this with the HTC One X, so is it different this time??

Lol exactly!! Some people smh