07-16-2013 07:35 PM
42 12
tools
    You only need to install recovery if you plan to flash a custom rom and/or kernel. Step 2 preps your phone for recovery by removing files that interfere with its use. If your happy just being rooted theres no need to go any further

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    Oh I see, now these other two options (I'm going to assume they're custom ROMs) "CWM" and "TWRP". What exactly do they do and what are the benefits of loading these custom ROMs onto my device?

Once again, sorry for the redundancy.
    06-25-2013 12:48 AM
    Oh I see, now these other two options (I'm going to assume they're custom ROMs) "CWM" and "TWRP". What exactly do they do and what are the benefits of loading these custom ROMs onto my device?

Once again, sorry for the redundancy.
    Cwm and twrp are custom recoveries. To learn more about recoveries google is your best friend. Same with roms to learn more search and read read read

06-25-2013 11:04 AM
    Cwm and twrp are custom recoveries. To learn more about recoveries google is your best friend. Same with roms to learn more search and read read read

Gottcha', I'll do my searches. Any recommendations on source where I could learn the basics to it all? Ones that you yourself trust and would present to others.
    06-25-2013 10:14 PM
    Gottcha', I'll do my searches. Any recommendations on source where I could learn the basics to it all? Ones that you yourself trust and would present to others.
    www.xda-developers.com is where I get the majority of my info.

06-26-2013 06:31 PM
    So is there a way to do this method on a mac yet? I'm on Verizon and the only windows I'm around is at work, and they block any downloads such as odin. Had the phone for about a month and want to be rooted. Had the galaxy nexus before and it was simple as hell. Bought this device and thought it would be as easily unlocked and rooted but that is not turning out to be the case. Any suggestions?
    06-27-2013 12:01 PM
    So is there a way to do this method on a mac yet? I'm on Verizon and the only windows I'm around is at work, and they block any downloads such as odin. Had the phone for about a month and want to be rooted. Had the galaxy nexus before and it was simple as hell. Bought this device and thought it would be as easily unlocked and rooted but that is not turning out to be the case. Any suggestions?
    Ive heard ppl have had success using a windows emulator on there mac like wine. Sorry I dont have a mac

06-27-2013 03:29 PM
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    06-27-2013 05:32 PM
    odin says FAIL! "Can't open the serial(COM) port."

edit... retried it, and I was not being patient enough for the computer to find phone
    06-28-2013 11:49 PM
    Will rooting allow me to move apps to my SD card or do also need to flash a custom rom? How does rooting the s4 compare to my old DROID x easier or harder? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-01-2013 06:49 PM
    Thanks for the tool! It worked great, and now I'm running cleanROM.
    07-05-2013 04:30 PM
    Trying to gain the courage to root this beast. I've rooted my nexus, thunderbolt, and fascinate before, but I've also ran custom roms from TeamBAMF.

With that being said, which rom does everyone suggest for the S4 seeing BAMF does not yet support the S4?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.
    07-05-2013 09:01 PM
    Is it true the new update through Kies breaks root? If so, any work around to keep root or re-root yet?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-10-2013 04:15 PM
    I'm totally clueless so I'm going to ask this here before I attempt rooting. The thing that really bugs me about my new phone (samsung S4 just purchased yesterday) is that when I go into manage applications/running, so many things are ticking off the seconds that I have never even touched. Why are all these applications running and why can't I disable them? I tried force stop on a few and they just go back to running next time I check! It's un-nerving for me. Will rooting help this and am I going to screw things up rooting! It's like I can see the battery levels diminish with each second! ARRRGGGGHHHHH!
    07-11-2013 09:52 PM
    This isn't working yet for the Verizon software update yet is it?

07-15-2013 12:27 PM
    The only way you can keep root is if you used VooDoo before the ME7 update was punched the phone, the restored root afterwords. There is a bounty out out on a root/recovery/unlock for the S4 over on XDA presently. Its almost 2000$.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-16-2013 01:02 AM
    Thank you for putting this all together for everyone. I'm stuck at the part where Odin is attempting to download the .tar file to my phone. It says "SECURE IMAGICODE CHECK: Fail" and I'm not sure what to do. I'm worried about turning off my phone to reset it since there are two exclamation points alerting me not to do this!! Can anyone help?
    07-16-2013 05:25 AM
    The only way you can keep root is if you used VooDoo before the ME7 update was punched the phone, the restored root afterwords. There is a bounty out out on a root/recovery/unlock for the S4 over on XDA presently. Its almost 2000$.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Wait a minute, I thought voodoo was useless with samsung phones. So, it has been confirmed voodoo will work on the S4 with this update?

07-16-2013 07:35 PM
42 12