My s4 is rooted and I have not unlocked the boot loader so I did not flash a customer recovery. This being said I am very nervous to run the Loki patch. Does anyone have any information regarding patching the boot loader? I really want to put a ROM on this phone I just do not want to Brick my device. Also if I unlock the boot loader can I still get updates when my phone goes to 4.3? I am very confident in Rooting and unlocking phones but this is my new daily driver and I just don't want to have any issues.
    06-12-2013 08:28 AM
    My s4 is rooted and I have not unlocked the boot loader so I did not flash a customer recovery. This being said I am very nervous to run the Loki patch. Does anyone have any information regarding patching the boot loader? I really want to put a ROM on this phone I just do not want to Brick my device. Also if I unlock the boot loader can I still get updates when my phone goes to 4.3? I am very confident in Rooting and unlocking phones but this is my new daily driver and I just don't want to have any issues.
    Until you unroot, you will not get any OTA updates. That is a downside to rooting.
    webbie2 likes this.
    06-12-2013 09:17 AM
    Until you unroot, you will not get any OTA updates. That is a downside to rooting.
    That is incorrect root only will not stop your ota updates. If you install custom recovery that will stop it. With ota uodates you will normally lose root.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    webbie2 and satannik like this.
    06-13-2013 09:41 PM
    That is incorrect root only will not stop your ota updates. If you install custom recovery that will stop it. With ota uodates you will normally lose root.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

But the rooting code will cause the install to fail. Still making the device unable to get updated via OTA.
    webbie2 likes this.
    06-13-2013 09:47 PM
    But the rooting code will cause the install to fail. Still making the device unable to get updated via OTA.
    No. I rooted my phone and updated just fine. You just need to re root.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S 4
    webbie2 likes this.
    06-14-2013 05:48 AM
    First off, there is no unlocker for the boot loader. You don't need to install the loki patch in order to install a custom recovery also. Most of the custom ROMs have loki built into them and once you install the custom recovery all you do is to wipe and flash the custom ROM. I rooted my phone and installed TWRP 2.5.0.2 and installed CleanRom. I also tried out the oudh cwm recovery and the standard cwm but returned to twrp. Stay away from twrp 2.5.0.3 as it has problems and the twrp team removed it from download. If you install Goo.IM you can install twrp 2.5.0.2 directly from there and there is nothing to it but to tell it to install.

You should always have ODIN installed on your computer and ADB in case it is needed.
    06-18-2013 11:50 AM