Hello All,
    Im an android newbie after spending 5 years in an apple shaped jailhouse

So i got my import S4 from singapore shipped to the UK. After having fun working out where the change language option was im very happy and successfully rooted using motochopper.

Now when i plug into Keis (mac version) im prompted to update and here is what i see:

1) First of all, is it safe to do this? I have not changed anything or frozen anything on the S4. The only reason i rooted (for now) was to get the sixaxis app working. Nothing else touched!

2) At the minute i cant do OTA updates because it sees the phone as modified. Should i use trianlgeaway to solve this as its now supporting the S4 to make it see official or OTA Rootkeeper.. or both?

3) I presume the firmware is one issue and the OTA is another? im on 4.2.2 by the way.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    CK
    06-12-2013 10:23 AM
    Hello All,
    Im an android newbie after spending 5 years in an apple shaped jailhouse

So i got my import S4 from singapore shipped to the UK. After having fun working out where the change language option was im very happy and successfully rooted using motochopper.

Now when i plug into Keis (mac version) im prompted to update and here is what i see:

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps4ec5fdf7.png

1) First of all, is it safe to do this? I have not changed anything or frozen anything on the S4. The only reason i rooted (for now) was to get the sixaxis app working. Nothing else touched!

2) At the minute i cant do OTA updates because it sees the phone as modified. Should i use trianlgeaway to solve this as its now supporting the S4 to make it see official or OTA Rootkeeper.. or both?

3) I presume the firmware is one issue and the OTA is another? im on 4.2.2 by the way.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    CK
    1st, I have the Verizon (US) version, so I'm not familiar with what this update entails, though I'm assuming it's the one that allows apps2SD? (see here)

To answer some of your questions...

1. IF you haven't installed a custom recovery *and* you haven't frozen any other software, you should* be able to safely install the update. If, during the rooting process, you installed a custom recovery (such as TWRP or CWM), then you may run into problems. Just be aware, that if you do install this, it WILL remove root.

2. Triangle away is for resetting your flash counter -- it's used to help get your device back to a factory state (to circumvent breaking of the warranty). It has nothing to do with installing OTAs, and unless you're trying to send your device back for a warranty claim, there's no real reason to use it (that I can think of). OTA rootkeeper is meant to allow you to keep root when installing an OTA, but it won't actually make the OTA available; but I don't recommend installing OTAs if you want to keep root anyway...

3. I'd actually assume the opposite. The firmware upgrade is probably just a full version of the same update that the OTA is comprised of.
    06-12-2013 11:25 AM
    Thanks so much for your reply,

I understand what you're saying. No i dont remember installing any TWRP or CWM when i rooted. I just did the simple one click job using motochopper. I did think this is probably the new (SDapp) update with the marginally slimmer OS..
    So assuming i can continue with this update, is there any way to protect the root? Or will i need to re-root with motochopper once more?

Also - you say trinagleaway has nothing to do with OTAs. But doesnt trinagleaway's resetting the device back to 'official' mean that OTAs will once more be available. IF i go with this update, or does the update enable OTAs again because it removes the root?
    06-12-2013 11:42 AM
    Thanks so much for your reply,

I understand what you're saying. No i dont remember installing any TWRP or CWM when i rooted. I just did the simple one click job using motochopper. I did think this is probably the new (SDapp) update with the marginally slimmer OS..
    So assuming i can continue with this update, is there any way to protect the root? Or will i need to re-root with motochopper once more?

Also - you say trinagleaway has nothing to do with OTAs. But doesnt trinagleaway's resetting the device back to 'official' mean that OTAs will once more be available. IF i go with this update, or does the update enable OTAs again because it removes the root?
    Triangle away simply resets your flash counter so you that once you un-root your device, there will be no evidence left that it was rooted in the first place. In other words, it's just *part* of resetting the device back to "official"

Assuming you are able to install the update, and assuming you don't re-root the device, then yes, OTAs would be enabled again.

I can't stress this last part enough: I'm just trying to answer your questions and provide help based on the info you have provided. In no way am I ADVISING you to do anything, nor am I willing to take any responsibility to what may happen to your device if running the update doesn't work. (standard disclaimer).

What would I do if this were me? Well, I'd go ahead and get custom recovery installed, then try to find a rooted version of the update to install (they usually show up eventually over on XDA).
    06-12-2013 02:18 PM
    I have achived root and i dont think i installed a rom and i have removed some of the stock Sprint apps that come with the phone bc i kno i will never use them. but how do i make sure that its not effecting my phone and check if a rom was installed? Also I never received the triangle is that bad?
    06-14-2013 11:27 PM
    I have achived root and i dont think i installed a rom and i have removed some of the stock Sprint apps that come with the phone bc i kno i will never use them. but how do i make sure that its not effecting my phone and check if a rom was installed? Also I never received the triangle is that bad?
    You would know if you installed a ROM (I hope!).

Most carrier apps are safe to uninstall/disable, though I generally just disable or "freeze" them just in case I end up needed any of those apps for unexpected functionality.

The "triangle" refers to the counter built-in to the BIOS that indicates when a non-stock firmware has been applied to the phone. It's nothing you have to worry about unless you're getting rid of the device, i.e. selling it or (more importantly) submitting it for a warranty claim.
    06-17-2013 09:45 AM
    I do have clock work recovery but is it safe to install the rom are any stable? I dont want to brick my phone
    06-19-2013 11:01 PM