[Show off] Overclocking the octacore GS4

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well atleast we know its now possible lol...Did you get to actually use the phone while it was overclocked? or did it burn out before u got to try anything?

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow... That's all I have to say. I would never consider doing this to a phone that would cost me 4 months of wages.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't want to do that to my phone that costs me $900. Probably in the future when it becomes slightly outdated, but not now. Still, that is an awesome mod.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PrimozR

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you take the phone appart, glue a heatsink to the SOC and try to overclock it again? Does it have the RAM over the processor? If yes, that could be a problem :/

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you take the phone appart, glue a heatsink to the SOC and try to overclock it again? Does it have the RAM over the processor? If yes, that could be a problem :/

I don't think a heatsink would work, I mean there's no room and you would need a fan to effectively dissipate the heat.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
My apologies for being inactive for awhile. I have absent due to other work but am now here to answer all and any questions.

I agree 110% :)

Don't try this at home: Overclocking all 8 cores of the GT-I9500 | Android Central

Excuse how simplified it is. Don't want to overwhelm people on the blog. I sent them here to find out the how, the why, and the OMFG AWESOME of it all.

Thank you for sharing my post onto the main site:) I appreciate this. It's actually a really simple process looking back at it, yes. Just took a bit of thinking to do something like this. Why didn't we think of it before? It really is genius.

the geek in me wants to see those pics ;)

what does the burnt octacore processor look like? (and what does it smell like?) :D :D :D

are there any pics of the internals?

Upon stripping the device there wasn't any damage to be really seen. It was just the connectors from the circuits chip that burnt out from the heat. Everything worked perfectly once they set me lose with a bit of solder. I did try take a few photos but honestly couldn't really see anything. Would you still like to see them? and also, it didn't smell like jellybeans =\

Wondering if anyone who's overclocked it north of 2Ghz has kept it stable long enough for a benchmark. I imagine at 2.2Ghz it was pushing near 5k on geekbench yea? :)

I have a screenprint to show what geekbench said.... This may surprise you!

fx9rog.jpg

I do have a reason to why it's done this. Due to the software on the galaxy S4 (touchwizz you interfering ****), geekbench didn't actually read all 8 cores. They were 100% working as proved by quadrant and abuntu (or whatever it's called) and they actually gave accurate readings. Sadly, this is how I actually murdered the phone. Quadrant killed her off on testing so I didn't get a screenprint. Seeing as the phones in working condition I may go back to my roots and start the project again. Will try get some accurate readings from all three benchmarkers and see what it says! I would imagine it's a 5k job for sure.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Imagine gaming on this device!

Not only would all games run 60 FPS + but the whole phone would basically melt! :D

Only if you could keep it cold would all the games run at 60:) I'm not sure why but alpha quadrant wouldn't stop saying 61, haha, cough, 2.8GHz, cough, boom!

Unless you are able to put a water cooler or some fans.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I should get funding off samsung and do testing in the north pole, ha.

I don't think a heatsink would work, I mean there's no room and you would need a fan to effectively dissipate the heat.

I'll find a way. King of bodge jobs. Even a little will help.

It would be weird to have a huge s4 with a heatsink in it.

Heatsink is a paste. It wouldn't effect size (unless you put 2 litres of it on, for example).

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
magine gaming on this device!

Not only would all games run 60 FPS + but the whole phone would basically melt! :D

Only if you could keep it cold would all the games run at 60:) I'm not sure why but alpha quadrant wouldn't stop saying 61, haha, cough, 2.8GHz, cough, boom!

Heatsink is a paste. It wouldn't effect size (unless you put 2 litres of it on, for example).

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine gaming on this device!

- - - Updated - - -

Well atleast we know its now possible lol...Did you get to actually use the phone while it was overclocked? or did it burn out before u got to try anything?

Had the phone running for a whole day (24 hours). I finished the job on the night, went to sleep as normal, used it throughout the whole day then began benchmarkings. It kicked the bucket actually using the full 2.8GHz, it was happy at 2.4, but I'm keeping my main phone at 2.2 (for now).

Thanks for the advice. I will be trying this. I want to keep the phone as standard as possible so I'll give it ago, just for testing and then go back to stock (if it even works). Will have to look into it as I'm cramped for space, would have to be a smidge, which may help. If you're interested in seeing the insides of a GS4, check this video

Samsung Galaxy S4 Disassembly & Assembly Teardown - Drop Test Repair - YouTube

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is the GS4 these days. Still works. The battery works, somehow. It's actually darker than originally due to the heat. Not really sure what did it, I'm guessing it's down to the black plastic sticking to the device. The ports you'd typically use for wireless charging, etc are dead, they still don't work (couldn't fix them) but the charger ones do. Speaker port is a bit distorted but seems louder than ever. My poor stickers also ruined, it got stuck to the battery when I pulled it. Glad this is now just a "toy" for my work where as I've got another octacore for day to day.

rszzma.jpg

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well its good to see that phone is hanging in there like a champ. It really shocks me how surprisingly resilient the Galaxy S4 is :D that phone sure can take a beating and yet keep on working.

Jonathan Dias

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey bro awesome work,

i have a question though, did ur phone burnout from consuming too much power or over heating ??

either way under volting would solve both these problems, how low can the a 15 go per freq ??

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey bro awesome work,

i have a question though, did ur phone burnout from consuming too much power or over heating ??

either way under volting would solve both these problems, how low can the a 15 go per freq ??

I expect the amount of power circulating was what overheated it. Without diagnostic tools I wouldn't know accurately what did what. I know a lot of people are thinking I'm a fool for putting that much power through the processors at that frequency but it was the only way I managed to get the phone running stable. I am going to investigate into the matter more though.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he tried to put a cooler or heatsink in it.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Its stock inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Well its good to see that phone is hanging in there like a champ. It really shocks me how surprisingly resilient the Galaxy S4 is :D that phone sure can take a beating and yet keep on working.

It required a bit of DIY fixing but yes, it is a well built piece of kit.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I see. Still, this is a very interesting modification done to the S4. It's quite surprising that you could retain most of the stock parts.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I see. Still, this is a very interesting modification done to the S4. It's quite surprising that you could retain most of the stock parts.

I want to keep the hardware side of my phone stock. If I can get this running stable without threat of damage to the components I will be releasing the kernel with a preset application to run all 8 cores correctly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci