[Show off] Overclocking the octacore GS4

sourcex4447_

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
So what u did was overclock all the cores (8) at the same frequency !! thats awesome
so it means that u clocked the A7 to clock to 2.8ghz thats actually 125% more of what the Samsung believes to run it !!
Thats just awesome !
also is it that using all 8 cores at a time save battery or rather drain it ?
did u tried to overclok the snapdragon version?

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
So what u did was overclock all the cores (8) at the same frequency !! thats awesome
so it means that u clocked the A7 to clock to 2.8ghz thats actually 125% more of what the Samsung believes to run it !!
Thats just awesome !
also is it that using all 8 cores at a time save battery or rather drain it ?
did u tried to overclok the snapdragon version?

The battery life is exactly the same. Will only be effected once it goes over 1.8GHz which is then the unknown. I haven't tried overclocking the snapdragon version but a mate of mine managed 2.5GHz on it last night:)

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
The battery life is exactly the same. Will only be effected once it goes over 1.8GHz which is then the unknown. I haven't tried overclocking the snapdragon version but a mate of mine managed 2.5GHz on it last night:)

It's cool how the battery life can be the same despite the monster processor.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
It's cool how the battery life can be the same despite the monster processor.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There are some ingenius ways of overclocking, then there's the proper way;) If done right, you can keep your phones battery exactly the same, obviously once it goes over so far, it may require that little bit more. I'm working on it all again. Currently running stable at 2.4GHz but the phone is clocked to 2.8 as before. Undervolting quite a bit so I've got the same battery levels as a normal user.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
There are some ingenius ways of overclocking, then there's the proper way;) If done right, you can keep your phones battery exactly the same, obviously once it goes over so far, it may require that little bit more. I'm working on it all again. Currently running stable at 2.4GHz but the phone is clocked to 2.8 as before. Undervolting quite a bit so I've got the same battery levels as a normal user.

Cool. Cant wait for the i9505 version to be released.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Alex Alexander1

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
DSWR...
Nice and interesting post.
I have a question. This Octa-core processor supposes to offer a more optimized and energy saving performance using both sets of cores, so have you to try to improve the battery life playing with those cores and a customized software?

Thanks...

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
LoL :rolleyes:

[HIDE]Device: GT-I9300
Kernel:Googy max,dual boot
Rom:1st ROM Slim bean (4.2.2) with latest Mali drivers
2nd ROM CM 10.2(4.3)
CPU 900mhz;UV
GPU 440mhz;UV[/HIDE]

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Since my previous geekbench test... I've managed to get a "bit" of a better score, haha.

bcscl.jpg

This is with the usual samsung software, so it maybe a bit higher than the truth. I don't go by performance due to big numbers, so this really means nothing. It doesnt' seem to handle games much better, although I ram running the GPU at 750MHz instead of the crappy 350 so I've noticed a massive FPS improvement. For those asking for Antutu and Quadrant, I haven't really bothered testing on them as previously mentioned, benchmarks mean NOTHING, so I don't intend on uploading more. I'm stopping my project as of today, well, for now as I've got a lot of money problems at the moment due to my motorsports racing. Feel free to continue asking questions and all that as I'll still reply and will let people know when my work starts again. The Kernel is still unstable, meaning the power laggs out touchwizz completely and will give it a large delay most of the time. Can usually get 10 or so minutes out of her. Need to make the system understand that it doesn't have to run on 2.8GHz all the time (as it currently is) and to move up and down as you'd expect normally, but that's for another day.

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It is impossible to measure CPU frequency accurately with geekbench or other third party app on a Big.LITTLE configuration.

Care to share your kernel?
Or another benchmark(like antutu or quadrant) which does show the performance of your CPU.

2nd ROM CM 10.2(4.3)
CPU 900mhz;UV
GPU 440mhz;UV[/HIDE]

Last edited:

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Also GPU is clocked at 480mhz not 350mhz and crashes when over clocked above 640mhz.

2nd ROM CM 10.2(4.3)
CPU 900mhz;UV
GPU 440mhz;UV[/HIDE]

Last edited:

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
It is impossible to measure CPU frequency accurately with geekbench or other third party app on a Big.LITTLE configuration.

Care to share your kernel?
Or another benchmark(like antutu or quadrant) which does show the performance of your CPU.

2nd ROM CM 10.2(4.3)
CPU 900mhz;UV
GPU 440mhz;UV[/HIDE]

Also GPU is clocked at 480mhz not 350mhz and crashes when over clocked above 640mhz.

2nd ROM CM 10.2(4.3)
CPU 900mhz;UV
GPU 440mhz;UV[/HIDE]

You can get the full 700 if you know what you're doing. Thanks for the input though. It will run at 700MHz but it is NOT stable if running at it for a long time. You'll get a good few minutes out before it reboots.

Here's a VIDEO of it on geekbench. I'll pay for quadrant and do another benchmark test when I get time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqhULckmKrc

tim high

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi DSWR,

I truly feel you are indeed a genius and I think you are the only one in the whole world to achieve this, you should probably be with Samsung and help them to get the best out of their devices .

I Just want to make my phone a little faster . so i was thinking of overclocking the Cortex A15 Quadcore from 1.6GHz to 1.9 or 2.0 GHz.

So I want my device to be very stable and fast , we know Samsung has kept a lower threshold value for safety and stability but I think A-15 Cortex overclocked at 1.9 GHz would be equally stable as well.

So if there is a link you have which shows how to overclock the S4's A-15 Cortex @ 1.9 Ghz please do share .
If you can please test your phone overclocked @1.9 Ghz , play games, test it , run benchmarks then finally share it , it could be of tremendous help to many.

Really appreciate your commitment time and effort to make our world with smartphones better.

Thank you for all the work you have done and all the work you are about to do.

We really acknowledge and appreciate your work and contribution.Cheers !