Help For a Noob: How to Get Stock Android on VZW Galaxy S4?

AKArbalest

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Verizon Galaxy S4 earlier this week and I'm really not liking Samsung's TouchWiz. I'd really like to get my device to stock Android, but I've never rooted any of my previous Android devices and really have no idea how to go about doing so. I'm not sure where to start and a how to guide or some basic advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Last edited:

Masires

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can actually put stock Android on the GS4, the closest to that is GyanogenMod and the developers said that they weren't planning on support the S4. Maybe there's another ROM developers that's working/worked on something.

lalec

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
There are several threads over at XDA about installing the Google edition firmware in both the current version and the leaked Android 4.3 version.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

roaztb33f

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Might want to hold off on installing any stock ROMs at the moment. None are currently stable. And based on your noted experience you may want to hold off until something more reputable is released. You may want to try Clean ROM. It's Touchwiz-based but it's been cleansed of all the Verizon bloatware.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Currently, there is a Cyanogenmod rom for S4 but it is not a stable release. If you dislike Touchwiz, consider downloading launchers off the Play Store. That can serve as a good alternative to rooting and flashing roms.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta