How do I stop the "Software Update" notification from Verizon?

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone automatically downloaded the software update from Verizon and, as I understand it, if I do the update I will loose root. I want to stop the notifications from occurring so i don't mistakenly hit the update button. Does anyone know how to stop the notices? I will eventually update but I need to wait a bit.

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
This finally irritated me enough to deal with it when I got home today. Instructions seem to have done the trick and eliminated the OTA from Verizon. Again if you are on Verizon, it doesn't give you an option to not accept the upgrade.. it just keeps pestering you. If you want to maintain Root, do not accept the OTA as it breaks root and locks the bootloader.

To stop the OTA notification:

if you're rooted but on stock rom, do this to stop OTA's
Freeze via Titanium Backup: FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk
Utilizing Root Explorer or the like: Rename file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak AND Rename file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak

This is not my original find, credit where credit is due, DanSan over at Droid Life made a post on this like 3 days ago. Seems to have worked for me though, so now the waiting game for a Rooted version of the new code is underway.

adam1314#IM

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I used Titanium Backup as Fable described. I haven't received a notification since. I want to update but don't want to lose my ability to root. Even if you were to accidentally hit the update button, you could still go into Titanium Backup and freeze it.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to achieve the same think on a rooted S4 on Sprint? I tried the above method but the notification is still there...

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
This finally irritated me enough to deal with it when I got home today. Instructions seem to have done the trick and eliminated the OTA from Verizon. Again if you are on Verizon, it doesn't give you an option to not accept the upgrade.. it just keeps pestering you. If you want to maintain Root, do not accept the OTA as it breaks root and locks the bootloader.

To stop the OTA notification:

if you're rooted but on stock rom, do this to stop OTA's
Freeze via Titanium Backup: FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk
Utilizing Root Explorer or the like: Rename file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak AND Rename file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak

This is not my original find, credit where credit is due, DanSan over at Droid Life made a post on this like 3 days ago. Seems to have worked for me though, so now the waiting game for a Rooted version of the new code is underway.

I am rooted on the stock rom and I do not see FWUpgrade.apk or SDM. apk in TiBu.

I read elsewhere that OTA rootkeeper allows you to take this update (10/25/2013), and will keep root. Can anyone else confirm this?

snooksjd1

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the notification to upgrade coming up all the time and I already upgraded. How do I stop the notification? I checked with the Verizon upgrade software I got from their site and it tells me my software is up to date.

secondwind1125

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way to stop the notification with a Verizon Droid 4 that has not been rooted?
I would also love to know if there is a way to stop the software updates from automatically downloading.

Thank you
Kathie

The Hawk

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I am new to the Android scene and have a question regarding software updates. My Galaxy S4 came pre-installed with 4.2.2. I recently checked for software updates and it found an update that was about 750MB in size. I am assuming that this might be the 4.3 and KitKat updates combined. I would like to update to 4.3 but do not want the KitKat update at this time as several users have mentioned they had bad experiences with this especially concerning microSD cards. Is there anyway to find out what this huge update contains and only take the 4.3 update if that is included? If not, is there a way to get the 4.3 update without this rooting business?

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am new to the Android scene and have a question regarding software updates. My Galaxy S4 came pre-installed with 4.2.2. I recently checked for software updates and it found an update that was about 750MB in size. I am assuming that this might be the 4.3 and KitKat updates combined. I would like to update to 4.3 but do not want the KitKat update at this time as several users have mentioned they had bad experiences with this especially concerning microSD cards. Is there anyway to find out what this huge update contains and only take the 4.3 update if that is included? If not, is there a way to get the 4.3 update without this rooting business?

You can download the MK2 update from here and use ODIN.
[ODIN][TAR] VRUEMK2 Emergency and No-Wipe Odin tars - xda-developers

You cannot just take an OTA selectively.
Since you don't know what the OTA is, you take it at your own risk.

You cannot stop the nag for the OTA indefinitely. Also if you slip up, you will get the update anyway.
Go over to XDA, update to MK2, root, then you can stop the update nagging.

Gadget Deez

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm running I337 S4 on ATT and file locations were a little different..

/system/app/FWUpgrade.apk
/system/app/FWUpgrade.odex
/system/etc/otacerts.zip
/system/priv-app/wssyncmlnps.apk
/system/priv-app/wssyncmlnps.odex
/system/app/LocalFOTA.apk

These 2 are responsible for the title bar notifications.
/system/priv-app/wssyncmldm.apk
/system/priv-app/wssyncmldm.odex

SDM.apk Doesn't exist as far s I can tell.

If you don't get all of them, There's a possibility that your phone will still update in the background..
I looked in my "Cache" folder under /device/cache And didn't see an update.. I'm sure there's another Cache folder somewhere else.. But if you see an update in the cache folder, you may want to rename or delete it as well..

Adam Byrd

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 with the older Android version 4.4.4.
I have yet to upgrade to the seemingly mandatory update 5.0.
When the update was first released (like a month ago?) I got a popup saying it was trying to upgrade to 5.0, but there wasn't enough space and that I needed to free up like 2GB in order to continue! (I have a lot of apps)
Not wanting to delete any apps, I just ignored it for the time being. Although, the notification to free up space remained. Later that day my parents, who both have Samsung Galaxy S5s, told me how bad the 5.0 was; suggesting I avoid it if possible.
So I continued to ignore the notification, which remained for weeks! One day it was no longer there, I got worried that since I had recently deleted a few larger apps, that it had auto-updated to version 5.0. So I went to check what version my phone was currently running, and although it remained to be 4.4.4, it started up the download to 5.0!
I managed to stop it temporarily by force stopping it, but it started back up after around a minute.

I seemed to have found a simple workaround to stop it from auto-updating and even remove the notifications!
First, turn off WI-FI
Second, you need to get mobile data usage turned off
Under settings->Data Usage unchecking the box labeled "Mobile Data" SHOULD work for this! However...that wasn't the method I used.
I guess I wasn't thinking to do the above method, instead I did "Limit mobile data usage". The lowest I could move the bar down was 0.1GB above my current data usage. After doing that, I started downloading a couple random apps (while continuing to force stop the 5.0 update every minute or so) until I got a notification that my data usage limit had been reached and thus data usage was disabled!

The auto-update still popped up once again, but after it attempted to download for like 10 minutes it failed.
One final pop-up saying the update had failed and that in order to get the update I need to manually go to System Updates and check for updates!
I re-enabled data usage and turned WI-FI back on...NO auto-update attempts. NO notifications. NO pop-ups. :)

Hope this helps!!! (sorry for such a long rant for just a simple solution)

coreyjroman

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
How do I do this if my phone is not rooted? I do not want to root it.
Its very simple... swipe down the notification menu from the top of the phone screen. Long press the notification until you see "app info" pop up. Press the popup. Uncheck the notifications box. Acknowledge the warning. Your done. Bye bye notifications for updates. Hope this helped. :)

mwyarm

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
1) Same here - will not allow to uncheck show notifications.
2) Cannot not find named applications in Titanium Backups as named - FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk. They appear to be application names via a file explorer but not in Titanium Backup. Would love to use Titantim Backup - Anyone know what to freeze in Titanium Backup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze