[AT&T] Former iPhone Jailbreaker - Complete Root Noob

digger5150

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm sure you get sick of reading and answering the same questions but I really don't know where to start so I'm hoping a few of you have some mercy on me and at least point me in the right direction.

I have been an jaibreaking iPhone user for the past 4 years. I just bought an AT&T S4 which will arrive early next week. I've read that about half of my 16 GB is going to come bloated with Samsung software and the only way to recover that space is to root the phone.

As a former, and I guess current jailbreaker, I have no problem with this except...there seems to be a lot of fragmentation on the Android side. In the Apple world, there is generally only one jailbreaking tool at a time and it just works, more or less.

1) Where exactly should I be going for the easiest root tool and is there an FAQ that discusses the different methods for rooting?
a) The top of this forum seems to have that, but is it still valid?

2) I think there is a recent AT&T update that fixes some bugs, I should NOT upgrade to this update AFTER I root my phone, correct?

3) What is CyanogenMod and should I install that after I root?
a) Is that a custom ROM?
b) Is that different than stock Android?
c) Would I rather have stock Android or can I install both of those?

4) What is the best way to recover the space on my phone after I root? I've read things about Titanium Backup or Freezing and it's like a foreign language to me.

I think that is it for now to get me started. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Digger

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You would want the att s4 root and ROMs section here, or the the att s4 development section on xda. Both should have threads explaining what you need to do to root.

Correct you should never flash an ota after you root your device, custom recovery lacks the OEM keys to verify the update zips with.

Cm is currently the most popular custom ROM available for android devices. It is aosp based with many extra features thrown in to make the experience even better. It is almost stock android, however as I said it has extra features and is rooted. It will be the closest you can get to stock until the s4 google edition ROM us ported to your device. And no you cannot have two ROMs installed at once, however you can (and should) make a backup of your current ROM in recovery before flashing your new ROM. This let's you restore it in case anything should go wrong with your new ROM/setup.

Tb is probably the best way to go. Freezing an app is basically the same as disabling it. It can't run but is still on your device. A good way to check to see if you can actually remove the app after you are rooted is to freeze it and see if any bad things happen afterwards. If so you should keep it and not delete it, but if not go ahead and get rid of it.

Major rule of rooting: always make a backup in recovery before doing any major change to your system. If they start to take up space, you can use a file manager to delete them. Also you should only flash a ROM built specifically for your device (that includes carrier, so for you flash only ROMs that are for the att s4).

Also I suggest you take the time to study exactly what root is and what it let's you do. Also familiarize yourself with the benefits and dangers involved before doing so. Watch a few videos in it or read some tutorials. But please just don't go blindly into it, I'd hate to see you brick your device because you didn't know what you were doing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dempseydiscus

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Basics to know
1. Find out which S4 you have, I9500 or I9505 (last one is 4G version)
2. Find out the baseband version you are using, mine for example is I9505XXUAME2 (locate this information under settings - about phone)
3. Find and download Odin, also download CF-Auto-Root Android 4.2.2 Package (find it the following link under here and read the guide twice).
How To Root Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505) On Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (XXUAMDM) Official Firmware [Tutorial]
4. Find and install some backup/restore software either TWRP or CWG

After the root is done you are ready to begin using a custom or stock rom, but before doing that reboot into fx. TWRP (if you chose that one) and make a backup. TWRP also has an app you can install so backup can be started when you are using the phone as usual - although it will restart into recoverymode and run the backup-script - then automatically restart the phone.

CyanogenMod is a stable nice looking ROM stripped of bloatware - I have nothing bad to say about it, I have also tried some others namely PacMan, Omega, Miui, Revolt and Wicked, currently I am using Wicked which is almost like Omega but have just a bit more ways of customizing the phone. I tend to keep to using the stock roms as they can work with the apps/functions from Samsung fx. keeping the screen on when you just look at the device - I also like the multi window function and you don't get that using the custom roms - so there are some differences for you when using either custom og stock roms :eek:) Coming from an iPhone you should give Miui a try I think you will very happy with that one - I would use it myself but to me it seems to lag a bit, it does'nt feel so responsive as some of the other roms but I like it still.

I came from a Galaxy S2 which could have 2 different (or maybe more?) - roms installed and you could choose which to use when the phone was started however, to my knowledge this is not possible at the moment with the S4.

Titanium Backup is a great tool - just don't try to remove every bit of the system you dont' feel you need, that is a sure way of asking for trouble and yes then you WILL run into problems like freezing and such, also when you do remove something, make a backup of it first THEN remove it. If space is of concern to you, why not just buy a big memory card? - the phone comes with 16GB - top that with a 64GB SDHC card isn't that enough?

I hope some of this helped :eek:)

/DempseyDiscus

digger5150

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to those who replied. That is all extremely helpful. That said, given my newness with Android, I may sit back a bit and wait before making an attempt to root my S4.

In the iOS jailbreaking world there is talk of "bricking" phones but in reality it almost never ever happens. One can always restore a phone to factory default or restore from a backup. The jailbreak may be lost, but the phone is functional and data isn't lost (usually).

Is that this same for android or are the "Be careful of you will brick your phone" warnings actually more real and dire on this side of the fence?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to those who replied. That is all extremely helpful. That said, given my newness with Android, I may sit back a bit and wait before making an attempt to root my S4.

In the iOS jailbreaking world there is talk of "bricking" phones but in reality it almost never ever happens. One can always restore a phone to factory default or restore from a backup. The jailbreak may be lost, but the phone is functional and data isn't lost (usually).

Is that this same for android or are the "Be careful of you will brick your phone" warnings actually more real and dire on this side of the fence?

Eh as long as you use common sense and follow the golden rules of flashing, you'll be fine.

Namely- never flash a rom, not built for your device, especially if its a stock modded ROM.

Reason being- they use completely different radios, and flashing a rom will also tell your phone to use the new radio drivers that aren't for your device.

Incompatible radio drivers, are the number one reason for android bricks.

Sent from my paranoid s3...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo