so i got pushed the update last night..
    pushed it off and finally that TWRP app ran real quick for a second powered the phone off and now my phone says its up to date even though its 4.2.2

my question is this can i update to 4.3 and not loose my root? i am new to this process and am currently rooted.

Tks
    07-19-2013 07:48 AM
    I would wait until there's a rooted version of the update available. Typically, doing an OTA system update will cause you to lose root access so I would advise against it for now.
    Paul627g likes this.
    07-19-2013 11:43 AM
    This is some " Root Keeper " applications available. I personally have never used them but I know they exist. Might be worth considering or do as V Dub suggested and just hold out a bit longer for a custom ROM built off the update.
    07-19-2013 12:01 PM
    so i got pushed the update last night..
    pushed it off and finally that TWRP app ran real quick for a second powered the phone off and now my phone says its up to date even though its 4.2.2

my question is this can i update to 4.3 and not loose my root? i am new to this process and am currently rooted.

Tks
    Hard to answer without knowing what version of the S4 you have. AT&T? International? Canadian? etc. The only 4.3 currently available is via custom ROMs. There is no official version out there aside from several 4.2.2 builds.

This is some " Root Keeper " applications available. I personally have never used them but I know they exist. Might be worth considering or do as V Dub suggested and just hold out a bit longer for a custom ROM built off the update.
    VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper is the app. It works pretty well in most situations. I am hearing mixed success with the latest MF3 OTA for AT&T.
    Paul627g likes this.
    07-20-2013 12:31 PM
    VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper is the app. It works pretty well in most situations. I am hearing mixed success with the latest MF3 OTA for AT&T.
    Is every carrier's update called MF3 or just the AT&T one? Because that's the one that apparently locks the bootloader, so I'm curious if they'll all do it or not.
    07-23-2013 03:30 PM
    I know the update for ATT and Verizon will break root and lock boot loader so you can't update. If you want apps to SD support then do it but until the developers crack it there is no root right now. I know there is an over $3000 bounty out right now to find a root for the new update.
    Bojamijams likes this.
    07-23-2013 04:15 PM
    Is every carrier's update called MF3 or just the AT&T one? Because that's the one that apparently locks the bootloader, so I'm curious if they'll all do it or not.
    they all lock the bootloader
    Bojamijams likes this.
    07-23-2013 04:40 PM
    they all lock the bootloader
    do you know if it's possible to pull some fixes out of the update and install them separately? or merge them as part of a custom ROM?
    07-25-2013 02:47 PM
    do you know if it's possible to pull some fixes out of the update and install them separately? or merge them as part of a custom ROM?
    It's already been done on pretty much all ROMs out there...

In the XDA Development thread for the AT&T S4, you can find a ROM that is pretty much exactly stock MF3 update without the bootloader lock:
    [ROM][7/15] - AT&T Stock Rooted De-Odex "MF3" - Latest OTA! - No F/W Update Required! - xda-developers

If you want something a little more custom, I recommend iB4STiD's very popular ROMs:
    GOLDENEYE - Samsung ROM based on latest Galaxy S4 international firmware (I'm using this one now, it's great)
    MDOB - Samsung ROM based on AT&T MF3 update
    KANGABEAN - Galaxy S4 Google Edition ROM

You might now realize that MF3 is actually a rather old update for the Galaxy S4...it just happens to be new for AT&T. The international firmware is several updates ahead of us.
    Bojamijams likes this.
    07-26-2013 02:11 PM
    Some of them as you can alread attest to have already implemented. Unfortunately for Verizon customers I feel that we lost the best/friendliest dev. Of the ones left I have only heard how they berate thier users when something goes wrong.
    Bojamijams likes this.
    07-29-2013 11:11 AM
    You receive 4.3 ota from Samsung using touchwiz? :s i

Skickat frn min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-30-2013 02:38 PM