Hi all.
    I have an AT&T GS4 that I purchased unlocked, and am currently using on another network.
    When I attempt to check for OTA updates from AT&T, I am invariably denied, which I expected as I am not an AT&T subscriber, as noted above.
    My question is, how do I update Android software if I'm off the AT&T grid? Do I need to root to do this?
    I've read that AT&T phones are a PITA when it comes to rooting, is this the case?
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    08-19-2013 01:44 PM
    The only way I can think of updating an unlocked phone running on another carrier is to root. I've rooted AT&T phones and it wasn't bad. I think it depends on the phone really.
    08-19-2013 02:46 PM
    Hi all.
    I have an AT&T GS4 that I purchased unlocked, and am currently using on another network.
    When I attempt to check for OTA updates from AT&T, I am invariably denied, which I expected as I am not an AT&T subscriber, as noted above.
    My question is, how do I update Android software if I'm off the AT&T grid? Do I need to root to do this?
    I've read that AT&T phones are a PITA when it comes to rooting, is this the case?
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    No Verizon phones are a PITA to root LOL. GSM are usually support much better because of the international devs. Rooting is pretty simple given you are on a baseband that's been exploited. If you are in the states and have a friend who is on AT&T, borrow their sim card to download and install the update. If not, then yes I believe you'll have to flash the new ROM. You'll just need to root. Go to this forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 Android Development - xda-developers and look for threads that begin with "Root" or "Tool" and check to see if it supports your baseband and then find the latest ROM. I believe the latest is here [ROM][7/15] - AT&T Stock Rooted De-Odex "MF3" - Latest OTA! - No F/W Update Required! - xda-developers

Out of curiousity, what are the last 5 characters of your baseband and build number?

I don't think Dev's make one available for every small update but any one that significantly address stability issues would have a ROM made.
    08-19-2013 03:42 PM