Those Who Rooted For Google Edition ...

LadyX20

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
* Do you still not get OTA updates? If not, how do you know there's an update available and how do you install??

* What about apps installed from the Google Play Store, do you get updates for them?

* Is it worth rooting for Google Edition?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
* Do you still not get OTA updates? If not, how do you know there's an update available and how do you install??

* What about apps installed from the Google Play Store, do you get updates for them?

* Is it worth rooting for Google Edition?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

If you were on a custom ROM based on 4.3 Google Edition, you would not get OTA updates. However, the developer of your ROM would be able to get the OTA update and incorporate it into a new version of that ROM. The reason I highly recommend the "Kangabean" ROM is that the developer is very active and very quick to update his ROMs as soon as updated firmware is available. BTW this is a recommendation for AT&T, which is my carrier...but you didn't mention who your carrier is so it may not apply to you. However, the general idea of how custom ROMs/OTAs work is applicable.

Any ROM that broke your phone's ability to use the Google Play Store would be a very bad one...I've never seen a ROM that didn't allow this...it's pretty crucial to the whole Android experience...so yes, you can still use the Play Store and get app updates.

Google Edition is a personal preference. It has way fewer features - almost none of the Samsung Touchwiz stuff is there. However, it is much more of a "clean" experience and has none of the "bloat" that you'd find otherwise.

If you're on AT&T and have firmware MF3, then you cannot get custom ROMs anyways - not until they figure out a new method anyways. If you're on MF3, I suggest you do NOT root as you cannot unroot and you cannot fix your phone if you happen to break it by mis-using your root access.

If you're not on MF3, you're probably on MDL...in which case you should definitely avoid the MF3 OTA update. Learn more by following the link in my signature.

LadyX20

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My GS4 is brand new. I just got it, I haven't rooted it or anything. My carrier is not AT&T as I live in Abu Dhabi. Reading your post, it seems that Google Edition is not worth all that. It's better to leave my S4 standard as it is. Don't want all that work. And what's MF3?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My GS4 is brand new. I just got it, I haven't rooted it or anything. My carrier is not AT&T as I live in Abu Dhabi. Reading your post, it seems that Google Edition is not worth all that. It's better to leave my S4 standard as it is. Don't want all that work. And what's MF3?

I suggest you go to forum.xda-developers.com and read about the process for your specific device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech