Need help... tried to Backup current ROM with ClockWorkMod

sincitydude

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I have an S4 from AT&T 1337 - I rooted the cell and installed ClockWorkMod from Playstore. I saw a Backup ROM feature.. went through the prompts. Now my cell is stuck on a screen that says "Downloading - Do not turn off target!!" It's been like this for over an hour. I tried pulling the battery and power up, but continues to go back to the same screen. I tried to log into the recovery screen but unsuccessful.
Don't know if this helps, on the top left hand corner, says:

Could not do normal boot
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I337
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?
I can upload a pic if it will help.
Thanks in advance!!

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
MY SGS4 did something similar - in my case, if I chose to restart from that stuck state, it would boot fully. If I just power cycled, I'd still get stuck.

Maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

sincitydude

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
MY SGS4 did something similar - in my case, if I chose to restart from that stuck state, it would boot fully. If I just power cycled, I'd still get stuck.

Maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

How do I restart? I tried pulling the battery and powering it up and hard reset...

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
How do I restart? I tried pulling the battery and powering it up and hard reset...

It sounds like you attempted a complicated procedure without doing enough research. I don't see any apps in the play store called just "ClockWorkMod" so I'm not sure what you did...could you clarify what app you used? Was it ROM Manager and you tried to use that to install custom recovery?

The screen that says "Downloading - Do Not Turn Off Target" is the Download mode. Is your phone booting into this mode every time you pull the battery and it turns back on?

It sounds like you probably need to ODIN back to stock...but I am afraid you might be on MF3 (the latest AT&T firmware), which would make this impossible. Do you have any clue what build you were on?

If that's not possible, you can try getting into recovery mode and doing a factory reset...but you said you can't get into recovery? More details please.

sincitydude

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you attempted a complicated procedure without doing enough research. I don't see any apps in the play store called just "ClockWorkMod" so I'm not sure what you did...could you clarify what app you used? Was it ROM Manager and you tried to use that to install custom recovery?

The screen that says "Downloading - Do Not Turn Off Target" is the Download mode. Is your phone booting into this mode every time you pull the battery and it turns back on?

It sounds like you probably need to ODIN back to stock...but I am afraid you might be on MF3 (the latest AT&T firmware), which would make this impossible. Do you have any clue what build you were on?

If that's not possible, you can try getting into recovery mode and doing a factory reset...but you said you can't get into recovery? More details please.

Lets start from the beginning... I just got my cell a week ago. First day I got it, I rooted it using motochopper, then download GooManager and installed the recovery. The next day AT&T push an OTA and because I didn't know any better, I selected OK for the OTA. It changed my build version to MF3 and killed the root... so i re-rooted my cell with gs4ex (the one you copy files to SDcard then use terminal to run scripts). I was once again rooted. I went back into GooManager and ran the recovery script again. At this point, I never tried going into recovery mode. Fast forward, a few days later... I was browsing the Playstore and saw Chainfire3D. I didn't even think of seeing if it was compatible with my cell (which it wasn't) and installed it and automatically rebooted.
Now I'm were I'm at... stuck at boot screen (white background w/ AT&T round global thing) and can't access recovery. Not sure what my options are at this point...
Hope this clears things up... and your help is appreciated!
Btw... I'm new at this rooting/flashing stuff... but with my IT background. It makes sense to a certain point.

sincitydude

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Oh and somewhere in between I downloaded ROM Manager... and installed the recovery at one point. Tried to get into recovery and didn't know how so I went back to GooManager.

I don't think I very much options until someone comes out with the stock MF3 stuff... right? Or do you think I can flash my cell with something else...

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you need to do some reading...you cannot install a custom recovery on MF3. You therefore cannot flash custom ROMs (without a custom recovery).

Read more info here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-root-new-root-method-found-mf3-firmware.html

EDIT: Probably no solution for you since you can't reset the phone without a recovery, since you surely ruined the stock recovery by trying to install a custom one. I read the thread you have over at XDA and your situation is worse than most...you will probably have to wait for a way to restore with KIES or ODIN.

Until then your best hope is to try and contact Chainfire, explain what you did to yourself, and see if he will be generous enough to help you fix it.

sincitydude

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you need to do some reading...you cannot install a custom recovery on MF3. You therefore cannot flash custom ROMs (without a custom recovery).

Read more info here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-root-new-root-method-found-mf3-firmware.html

EDIT: Probably no solution for you since you can't reset the phone without a recovery, since you surely ruined the stock recovery by trying to install a custom one. I read the thread you have over at XDA and your situation is worse than most...you will probably have to wait for a way to restore with KIES or ODIN.

Until then your best hope is to try and contact Chainfire, explain what you did to yourself, and see if he will be generous enough to help you fix it.

Thanks... I figured that was the case.

LSD4me

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Solution - Turn the phone completely off....hold MENU + DOWN VOLUME + POWER. Release the POWER once you see Samsung logo. Your phone will be manually in Download mode. When it asks yoo to press UP or DOWN volume to confirm, press DOWN to boot normally..Your phone should now boot....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463