I somehow was bit by the MF5 firmware and I am trying to fully understand what I can and can't do. I've read multiple posts with people having issues and unable to go back to MDL. I understand what is, a security upgrade in the bootloader that prevents flashing to an older firmware once the fuse has been tripped, but I want to find out what other limitations there are. I am currently running rooted stock firmware. I have no problems with my phone and therefore I really don't feel like experimenting after reading some of the issues others are having.

If i need to go back to unrooted stock am I able to flash the MF5 firmware?

Can I do a factory reset while rooted stock? I was able to do this on my S3.

Can I go to another ROM like cyanogenmod or AOSP and back to stock if need be?

Can I do a nandroid restore?

I've read that if you stayed stock and don't flash a custom ROM the fuse shouldn't have tripped and therefore you should be able to unroot. This is my case but I get the error SW REV. FAILED : fused : 2 . Binary : 1 which says otherwise.
    08-31-2013 12:00 PM
    I somehow was bit by the MF5 firmware and I am trying to fully understand what I can and can't do. I've read multiple posts with people having issues and unable to go back to MDL. I understand what is, a security upgrade in the bootloader that prevents flashing to an older firmware once the fuse has been tripped, but I want to find out what other limitations there are. I am currently running rooted stock firmware. I have no problems with my phone and therefore I really don't feel like experimenting after reading some of the issues others are having.

If i need to go back to unrooted stock am I able to flash the MF5 firmware?

Can I do a factory reset while rooted stock? I was able to do this on my S3.

Can I go to another ROM like cyanogenmod or AOSP and back to stock if need be?

Can I do a nandroid restore?

I've read that if you stayed stock and don't flash a custom ROM the fuse shouldn't have tripped and therefore you should be able to unroot. This is my case but I get the error SW REV. FAILED : fused : 2 . Binary : 1 which says otherwise.
    I think what you meant is MF3.

All the info to answer your questions is available in these forums:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-firmware.html
    08-31-2013 04:53 PM
    It is MF5. My firmware originally was R970VXUAMDL but somewhere along the way it changed to R970VXUAMF5. I still haven't figured out how since I never flashed the latter. My phone is through US Cellular and these are the only two firmwares available. The MF3 looks like it is for AT&T. My phone is rooted using CF Auto Root with CWMR.
    08-31-2013 05:58 PM
    It is MF5. My firmware originally was R970VXUAMDL but somewhere along the way it changed to R970VXUAMF5. I still haven't figured out how since I never flashed the latter. My phone is through US Cellular and these are the only two firmwares available. The MF3 looks like it is for AT&T. My phone is rooted using CF Auto Root with CWMR.
    Ok well sorry I know nothing about US Cellular!

Good reason to read the stickies in any forum before you post!
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...read-here.html
    08-31-2013 09:46 PM