Hello everyone,

I am having a problem with my phone not charging. I have a Verizon Samsung galaxy S4 SCH i545. I am rooted and have TWRP with hyperdrive rls7 custom rom installed. The phone and custom rom worked fine for a couple months until I dropped the phone in water for a little bit. I dried it off and waited until it dried off some more inside. I would say I only waited about a day because it didn't seem that wet. I plugged my phone into the charger, it turned on and everything seemed perfectly fine.

A week or two later the phone started to not detect the charger. It would charge sometimes and other times it would not even detect the charger and would not charge. Even when it died completely, it was random whether it would charge. I took the phone apart and inspected the port and there seems to be no corrosion or damage. I was going to return it to Verizon to get a new phone so I went ahead and wiped the dalvik/cache before I started the process of unrooting and reflashing stock rom. However, once I wiped the dalvik/cache and turned the phone on again, the phone magically started to charge and is even detected by my pc again.

So what happened to my phone? Why does it charge perfectly now that I wiped the dalvik/cache? Is it that the rom was somehow corrupted by the water or is it something else. Because the water did not seem to do any damage and for some reason it charges now. I have been reading everything I could find and from what I see there is a problem with the 1% battery driver in most roms and it can cause it not to charge. Does this happen often with the 1% driver? I claimed the warranty on the phone and already have the new phone in hand but my old phone charges and works fine now, if I send the old phone in with no problems detectable will they charge me for the new phone?
    08-31-2013 02:22 PM
    They will not (very certain they SHOULD not) charge you for the new phone. They will run a series of tests and cycle it through the system to another person. I have been running hyperdrive for a long time, never had that issue at all. Anytime you have an issue with any rom (your's sounded kernel based) going into recovery and clearing the cache the way you did is the first step to see if it fixes the problem. Sometimes even reflashing the rom helps. I've been running Hyperdrive 8.1 for a since it's release and it's been amazing with the Elite kernel, all smart features working and amazing battery life.
    dro1d4l1fe likes this.
    08-31-2013 04:53 PM
    They will not (very certain they SHOULD not) charge you for the new phone. They will run a series of tests and cycle it through the system to another person. I have been running hyperdrive for a long time, never had that issue at all. Anytime you have an issue with any rom (your's sounded kernel based) going into recovery and clearing the cache the way you did is the first step to see if it fixes the problem. Sometimes even reflashing the rom helps. I've been running Hyperdrive 8.1 for a since it's release and it's been amazing with the Elite kernel, all smart features working and amazing battery life.
    Yea I went ahead and called Verizon and they said they wouldn't charge me if they didn't find anything wrong. I didn't know that I should wipe the dalvik/cache for any problems including a charging problem. I looked all over the internet for a solution to this problem and nothing out there said to simply wipe the dalvik/cache. Yea hyperdrive is awesome i'm gonna try that Elite kernel the features of it look really cool. Thanks for the reply info and the kernel suggestion.
    08-31-2013 08:14 PM
    yea... most any issue you have with a rom/kernel/mod can be fixed by wiping cache, if that doesn't work - reflash, and if that doesn't work then there may be a bug with whatever you are trying to install.

I usually never give up on any issue I have, until I resolve it. You end up learning a lot doing so
    08-31-2013 08:48 PM