Reflashing to stock rom and kernel

dro1d4l1fe

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me how to return my Verizon s4 sch i545 to stock rom and kernel. I tried downloading the stock .tar file for my model and flashing it with TWRP but it fails. What are the steps I need to follow to revert back to full stock? I am currently using hyperdrive rom rls7 and a stock optimized kernel. Would like to have the stock rom and kernel on the phone so I can return under warranty claim. Thanks.

iwearthebelt

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me how to return my Verizon s4 sch i545 to stock rom and kernel. I tried downloading the stock .tar file for my model and flashing it with TWRP but it fails. What are the steps I need to follow to revert back to full stock? I am currently using hyperdrive rom rls7 and a stock optimized kernel. Would like to have the stock rom and kernel on the phone so I can return under warranty claim. Thanks.

You can't flash that file in recovery. A .tar file needs to be flashed via Odin. Recovery is meant for zip files. Look around on the XDA forum for how to flash that file using Odin. If you've never used Odin before it can seem a little intimidating, but its actually fairly simple. (I highly recommend watching a video on YouTube of how to use Odin).
I'm pretty sure you want to download Odin version 3.07, unzip the file and open Odin, then press the PDA button and select the .tar file you downloaded. Hit the start button and DO NOT unplug your phone until it says PASS (which could take 15-20 minutes). Hope that gives you a little help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

dro1d4l1fe

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. Gonna check that vid out on returning to stock. It is weird though because I have flashed roms before in TWRP, it is actually a .tar.zip file I was trying to flash just like the custom roms I have flashed in TWRP before. Anyone know why I can flash a .tar.zip custom rom in TWRP but not the stock .tar.zip?

iwearthebelt

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Its because its actually a .tar file that is compressed into a zip file so it is smaller in size which will download faster. The zip file is probably around 1.2 GB, when you unzip it on your computer it will be a much bigger .tar file. You can either move the file you downloaded from your phone to your computer, or delete it from your phone and then download directly to your computer. From there you will unzip it and flash in Odin. Watch the video AMD follow the steps EXACTLY. IF you run into any questions you can PM me or ask DMX in the video comments section. BTW, as far as I know the only way you can flash a .tar.zip file on your phone is with Mobile Odin.

dro1d4l1fe

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Its because its actually a .tar file that is compressed into a zip file so it is smaller in size which will download faster. The zip file is probably around 1.2 GB, when you unzip it on your computer it will be a much bigger .tar file. You can either move the file you downloaded from your phone to your computer, or delete it from your phone and then download directly to your computer. From there you will unzip it and flash in Odin. Watch the video AMD follow the steps EXACTLY. IF you run into any questions you can PM me or ask DMX in the video comments section. BTW, as far as I know the only way you can flash a .tar.zip file on your phone is with Mobile Odin.

Hmmm.... When I flash a new rom I have been going to TWRP recovery and click install. From there it asks for a .zip file so I select the .tar.zip on my phone and it installs it for me. Is this something I should not be doing? It has worked for flashing hyperdrive about 4 times it just didn't work when I tried it with the stock .tar.zip

iwearthebelt

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to go back to full stock, like you took it out of the box, it needs to be done with Odin. You're trying to return a phone back to its original state with a custom recovery, that can't be done. You need to use Odin. Did you watch the video I told you to watch by DMX? It explains the whole process which is relatively simple. I'm going to find the video for you and post the link to make it easier for you....

iwearthebelt

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
This link will take you to his YouTube videos. In the uploaded video category, hit the " more videos" tab 4 times and you'll see the video for " Verizon Galaxy S4 how to return to stock".

dro1d4l1fe

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I cant get the pc to recognize my phone so I can use odin to return to stock.... Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers in device manager, installing kies, reflashed the hyperdrive rom using TWRP, and wiped cache/dalvik. Mobile odin does not work for sch i545 so I cant use that... when I look at the battery when I plug it into pc is says charging (ac) not charging (usb) so I think that might be the problem but I don't know how to fix it. USB debugging is enabled and ive tried another cable and another pc but nothing works, the pc just keeps repeating to me "USB device not recognized" this is a nightmare I cant get the phone back to stock rom.

dro1d4l1fe

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Yea I Installed kies. Kies says simply "Please connect a device" under connected devices. When I plug the phone in the status of kies does not change. Also windows keeps telling me constantly every 3 seconds, "USB device not recognized". I think it has something to do with the phone not going into usb debugging mode because when I look at the battery when it is plugged into the pc it says "Charging (AC)"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance