What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

Nodnarb1028

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Im new to rooting (been jailbreaking since it was command line) and the only available root for my GS4 still has a locked bootloader. So my question is why even root when its locked? What can you even still do? This may seem very basic, but I've only had my phone for 2 weeks. :p
Thank you!

Verizon Galaxy S4 - VRUAME7

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Im new to rooting (been jailbreaking since it was command line) and the only available root for my GS4 still has a locked bootloader. So my question is why even root when its locked? What can you even still do? This may seem very basic, but I've only had my phone for 2 weeks. :p
Thank you!

Welcome to the forums.
Rooting gives access to apps that allow you to do things you couldn't do otherwise. Like Titanium Backup allows you to back up your app data, and that is a root required app.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I previously had a rooted nexus 7. So basically you are saying everything is normal, but no custom roms?

Typically you need to root in order to flash a custom recovery, in order to flash ROMs. Depending on the device, the boot loader may need to be unlocked as well.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Along with being able to download a ton of "root only" apps, one of my favorite benefits to rooting is the ability to block pesky ads. :)
Then of course custom ROMS..... :thumbup:

tap'n

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Very true! :thumbup: Although they seem to be going the way of the dodo bird, as most of your newer ROMS just hack the stock hotspot app.

tap'n

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I have the TMobile S4. Some roms say they include root. What does that mean?

Posted via Android Central App

The ROM is already rooted. Once you flash it, you will be rooted. So all you need is a custom recovery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Infamous S4 rom. Saw a video that said root was included

I more asked out of curiosity. Most, if not all custom ROMs are rooted.
Give it a shot. Just make a Nandroid before flashing the new ROM.

Rise Against

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I more asked out of curiosity. Most, if not all custom ROMs are rooted.
Give it a shot. Just make a Nandroid before flashing the new ROM.

I thought ROMs needed root first? Ok thanks, so the TMo S4 doesn't need root for twrp?

Rise Against

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think that is changing. Depends on the phone and carrier. Definitely custom recovery.

Alright, I think I'm just going to flash it like when I flashed CyanogenMod. Root > Custom Recovery > Custom ROM Had to unroot and send back when my screen cracked