just rooted verizon gs4 with mk2, cant flash any roms

anon(105307)

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
let me just start by saying its been awhile since i rooted anything. the last phone i rooted was a samsung fascinate so i have lost some knowledge on the subject. i just today rooted my gs4 with the hopes of installing the google play edition kitkat rom. i used the one click type root method for the mj7 build and it worked properly as far as i can tell, i have supersu and all.

i downloaded CWM and titanium backup. i backed up everything i could using titanium then went to CWM and tried to back up the stock rom (not sure if thats even possible) but it wouldnt work properly. so i said whatever and ried to flash the kitkat gummy rom. i put the zip files in the root of my sd card and booted into recovery. when i booted into recovery it shows an android on its back with a ! in its chest saying "no command" or something... i then tried to select the 4.4 rom from the recovery menu (after wiping all data and cache). all that happend was a long reboot to the stock form of the galaxy s4... i tried downloading and installing cyanogenmod through rom manager and still nothing.

im sure im doing something really stupid and i apologize for the noob thread. im at the point now where i just set up the phone as i had it before and re downloaded all my apps. i dont want to wipe all the data again until i know what im doing. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So why is that? What are the options?

Because the boot loader is locked so tightly.

The original method had a work around that exploited the pre release software of the S4. That method was closed within a couple of updates.

As of right now, the only ROMs that can be used on the S4 running newer firmware are ones based on TouchWiz frameworks.

Sorry. There are some good ROMs that try to get pretty close to the AOSP look and feel.

Posted via Android Central App

Tron1980

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
In order to flash custom ROMS on the VZW MK2 build, you need to install Safestrap. With Safestrap, you can install mods, themes, and custom ROMs. Safestrap is a custom recovery that in a sense, bypasses the bootloader and sets up slots to install ROMs. Hope this helps. By the way Hyperdrive is the best ROM in my opinion. Infinite customizability and step by step Aroma install.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
MAKE SURE IT IS A SAFE STRAP COMPATIBLE ROM!!! YOU CAN BRICK IT AS ONLY OFFICIAL SAMSUNG KERNELS ARE ALLOWED DUE TO THE LOCKED BOOT LOADER DO YOUR RESEARCH AND FLASH CAREFULLY

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
i got a sch i500 fascinate can i install latest kitkat kernal and rom?
all the one's for eh are from 4 yrs ago

Most likely not if you cant find one on xda most likely the only way you can do ot is if you develop it yourself sorry might be time to let it die? I could be wrong I did see a build of jelly bean on the fist nexus htc did so you never know bit if development has stopped for that device then im sorry its just the way it goes

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay