04-05-2014 09:38 AM
45 12
tools
    See the problem there is I'm a spec *****. I want future-proof-ability out of my device. I've heard too much about dual-core processors and 1GB RAM devices getting buggy and laggy over time. I'd want to avoid that as much as possible. As it stands with rooting my device so far, I've installed greenify and Titanium Backup - because I really just want to do right by this lovely little device.

Still irked at losing some TouchWiz features if I want to go AOSP - the remote is actually useful. The touch/non-touch stuff is gimmicky, but it's pretty cool.

Someone had a Moto X at work today - but he wouldn't turn it on for me because he wanted time to mess with it himself - which I totally get. Wish I could have compared the two.
    12-24-2013 01:04 AM
    The Moto X has TRIM so it won't deteriorate performance-wise. My GS4 got laggier over the first few months so I decided to flash an AOSP ROM.
    There are some that support the IR remote and TouchWiz camera, since the AOSP camera is decent at best.
    Trust me, you won't even be able to tell the difference in specs. Hopefully I can get the X when my Jump upgrade is available

Posted via Android Central App
    12-24-2013 01:12 AM
    Coming from a Lumia device - the camera is already lacking on the S4 - but I love everything else about it and the operating system. That said, from the reviews I've read I can see the camera on the Moto X being the only hindrance in making the trade for Moto X. Samsung camera is better... and still pales next to my Lumia 928. Trade off in Operating System and tinker-ability is well worth it though.
    12-24-2013 01:21 AM
    Coming from a Lumia device - the camera is already lacking on the S4 - but I love everything else about it and the operating system. That said, from the reviews I've read I can see the camera on the Moto X being the only hindrance in making the trade for Moto X. Samsung camera is better... and still pales next to my Lumia 928. Trade off in Operating System and tinker-ability is well worth it though.
    Yeah. I'd trade the camera for form factor and stock Android out of the box though

12-24-2013 01:34 AM
    With Hyperdrive and a launcher like Nova pro or Apex you won't know you're on TW rom. At least not much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    12-24-2013 08:07 AM
    I take lots of pictures of my son. There's a guy wanting to trade a brand new moto x for an S4 on craigslist though. I wonder if he'll care that I rooted?
    12-25-2013 02:29 AM
    I take lots of pictures of my son. There's a guy wanting to trade a brand new moto x for an S4 on craigslist though. I wonder if he'll care that I rooted?
    You can always unroot. Let him know just in case

12-25-2013 07:04 PM
    OK, so I am booting up in a new safestrap ROM.. seemed successful for me (I am up and running) I know this is not flash any rom you want, but hope it helps someone! I followed this video, and it was smooth sailling!

12-31-2013 04:48 AM
    Well I have cm 10.2 on rooted sprint s4 on the mk2 ota update.....

Samsung Galaxy S4
    4.3 MK2 OTA
    Rooted with CM 10.2
    12-31-2013 11:54 AM
    Well, I'm a kat! A Tiger Kat. This sure has been informative. Glad we did this.

But yeah, the Hyperdrive ROM I'v had several hours now to poke prod and organize, and I am as happy as I could be with it. Slim compared to stock bloaty verizon/samsung flavor. Every thing I can think to test works flawlessly. Got some crazy 3d theme launchers done so it looks purdy as well.
    12-31-2013 02:22 PM
    Wish I saw this thread a few weeks ago. I do have the sprint version mk2 build. Used cf auto root through Odin. Bricked phone TWICE trying to flash a rom and kernel. TWRP both times. Fortunately I was within the 2 week period. My advice is don't worry about flashing roms yet. I would download no frills cpu or equivalent and underclock. S4 is so fast already. Save on battery life. BTW flashed lots of roms, kernels and modems on s2 so not a noob.
    01-11-2014 06:08 PM
    You can always unroot. Let him know just in case

How do you unroot... I continuously have the "Custom" logo on the Samsung splash when I boot the phone. I un-rooted from SuperSU... What else do I need to do?
    01-20-2014 09:09 PM
    Its from safestrap I think im running hyperdrive and I had to go into xposed framework, modules, wanam xposed then security hacks and checked fake systen status. It now says samsung galaxy s4 when it boots up safesgrap is where the words custom rom is coming from I think look up how to remove safestrap if you have that installed,
    01-23-2014 11:31 PM
    Sumat

01-25-2014 10:52 AM
    How do you unroot... I continuously have the "Custom" logo on the Samsung splash when I boot the phone. I un-rooted from SuperSU... What else do I need to do?
    You can try flashing a stock ROM of your phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    01-25-2014 11:19 AM
    Try golden eye rom, it is stock touchwiz but its deodexed and rooted. On top of that it also includes ad ons to change the way the rom looks, and it is based on the european touchwiz which is a little different in some aspects. Also this rom works on the att s4, and canadian s4 and if I am not mistaken there is a version for the T-mobile S4. Eitehr way its a good choice if you want to stay stock but want a faster less bloated rom.

02-02-2014 08:30 PM
    as it did to install custom roms
    03-28-2014 08:35 PM
    So I rooted an S4. It's my first Android phone and it took me all of no time to want to get my hands dirty to see what I could do with this thing.
    Cyanogenmod really interested me, as there is no way to install the "Google Edition" software on the Verizon model of this device (unless I'm wrong, please, PLEASE let me be wrong).

Can someone point me in the direction of good (recent, as I'm realizing that's absolutely necessary) resources to help flash custom ROMs on the Verizon S4?

I have:

Android: 4.3
    Model #: SCH-I545
    Baseband Version: I545VRUEMK2
    Kernel Version: 3.4.0 se.infra@R0210-09 #1 Wed Nov 20 12:44:43 KST 2013
    Build #: JSS15J.I545_4.3_0017
    Secure Boot Status: Type: Samsung
    Hardware Version: I545.06

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've read this far, you're awesome - and I appreciate it I've come from WPCentral as a recent convert after researching a little more into Android/Java/Linux. Loving it so far, just want to get this thing as close to stock as possible!
    No your not wrong mk2 (4.3) is locked if you never updated it to 4.3 you will be fine to flash what ever the he'll you want but if your on 4.3 only stock roms as only the stock kernel will be allowed to boot and you will be forced to use safe strap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    04-05-2014 09:28 AM
    I would love other members/peoples input like success stories, because it's very possible with updates and thangs that this isn't current or right, but the research I did that ended me up here I couldn't find well anything I can remember off the top about success with custom recovery and/or then moving forward with a custom ROM with my phone build model ect (variables everywhere!) (my goal was OCing the cpu, because im a geek haha not that it really needs it) Instead I did find several accounts of varying age where Samsung "soft bricked" or said NO. Probably not a correct usage of soft brick, but yeah I read several frusterated people with software gimped S4's so as new as I am I'm not going to be a trail blazer quite yet. If I'm wrong I will be happy if someone could enlighten me how to do it semi safely or even some success accounts (understand stuff like this isn't ever 100% with out risk) long post short...Tiger is a wimp haha.
    The only recovery you can use is safe strap any other recovery will potentially brick it brick means bad paper weight phone=useless so please read up on it and look out for safe strap addition roms that way you know it will be safe to flash go to xda and read the safe strap threads too bad my rom isn't Verizon compatible (it's amazing but AT&T ) yea but I just urge you to look at 4.3 touch wiz based roms as sadly these are the only ones you can flash with a locked boot loader

04-05-2014 09:35 AM
    I love this rom we figured out a way to get kit kat on an mk2 boot loader by odin flashing some files but we won't know if it will work for Verizon as the 4.4.2 update hasn't hit you yet

04-05-2014 09:38 AM
45 12