Galaxy S4: I've got Root... Now what?

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So I rooted an S4. It's my first Android phone and it took me all of no time to want to get my hands dirty to see what I could do with this thing.
Cyanogenmod really interested me, as there is no way to install the "Google Edition" software on the Verizon model of this device (unless I'm wrong, please, PLEASE let me be wrong).

Can someone point me in the direction of good (recent, as I'm realizing that's absolutely necessary) resources to help flash custom ROMs on the Verizon S4?

I have:

Android: 4.3
Model #: SCH-I545
Baseband Version: I545VRUEMK2
Kernel Version: 3.4.0 se.infra@R0210-09 #1 Wed Nov 20 12:44:43 KST 2013
Build #: JSS15J.I545_4.3_0017
Secure Boot Status: Type: Samsung
Hardware Version: I545.06

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've read this far, you're awesome - and I appreciate it :) I've come from WPCentral as a recent convert after researching a little more into Android/Java/Linux. Loving it so far, just want to get this thing as close to stock as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: I've got Root... Now what?

Welcome to Android Central :)
How did you manage to root an S4 on 4.3?
I've tried a few stock ROMs for my S4 and my personal favorite is SlimBean. Easily the best out of the ones I tried (CyanogenMod, LiquidSmooth, GPE)

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

I can't remember which article I followed. But I have SuperSU installed - and Root Checker verifies that I have Root... Should I not?

:-\

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I can't remember which article I followed. But I have SuperSU installed - and Root Checker verifies that I have Root... Should I not?

:-\

Well if it says you have root, then you probably do...

Posted via Android Central App

T1geRKat086

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I seem to be in a similar scenario as OP
model: SCH -1545
1545VRUEMK2
secure boot status: Samsung
device status: Custom
Not sure if bad or good thing but: Factory reset date: 12-08-2013 (Hope I didn't hinder my self on that one. As I have read seemingly endless conflicting answers on all this...Im new as I'm sure is obvious!)
I am rooted as well checked with teh root checker. Now much like OP I am asking....Now what! haha please enlighten me / link me to never land to read as to what things I can take advantage of now! I understand currently Flashing custom ROM's is a no go due to locked bootloader, but yeah please learn me!
Oh, and incase anyone want's / cares I rooted successfully with
DroidViews | How to Root Verizon & AT&T Galaxy S4 on Android 4.3 [VRUEMK2] Firmware

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I seem to be in a similar scenario as OP
model: SCH -1545
1545VRUEMK2
secure boot status: Samsung
device status: Custom
Not sure if bad or good thing but: Factory reset date: 12-08-2013 (Hope I didn't hinder my self on that one. As I have read seemingly endless conflicting answers on all this...Im new as I'm sure is obvious!)
I am rooted as well checked with teh root checker. Now much like OP I am asking....Now what! haha please enlighten me / link me to never land to read as to what things I can take advantage of now! I understand currently Flashing custom ROM's is a no go due to locked bootloader, but yeah please learn me!
Oh, and incase anyone want's / cares I rooted successfully with
DroidViews | How to Root Verizon & AT&T Galaxy S4 on Android 4.3 [VRUEMK2] Firmware

I thought you had to unlock the bootloader before rooting :eek:
Anyway, after rooting, I'd suggest flashing a custom recovery as that is what allows you to flash custom ROMs

T1geRKat086

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I thought you had to unlock the bootloader before rooting :eek:
Anyway, after rooting, I'd suggest flashing a custom recovery as that is what allows you to flash custom ROMs

I would love other members/peoples input like success stories, because it's very possible with updates and thangs that this isn't current or right, but the research I did that ended me up here I couldn't find well anything I can remember off the top about success with custom recovery and/or then moving forward with a custom ROM with my phone build model ect (variables everywhere!) (my goal was OCing the cpu, because im a geek haha not that it really needs it) Instead I did find several accounts of varying age where Samsung "soft bricked" or said NO. Probably not a correct usage of soft brick, but yeah I read several frusterated people with software gimped S4's so as new as I am I'm not going to be a trail blazer quite yet. If I'm wrong I will be happy if someone could enlighten me how to do it semi safely or even some success accounts (understand stuff like this isn't ever 100% with out risk) long post short...Tiger is a wimp haha.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I would love other members/peoples input like success stories, because it's very possible with updates and thangs that this isn't current or right, but the research I did that ended me up here I couldn't find well anything I can remember off the top about success with custom recovery and/or then moving forward with a custom ROM with my phone build model ect (variables everywhere!) (my goal was OCing the cpu, because im a geek haha not that it really needs it) Instead I did find several accounts of varying age where Samsung "soft bricked" or said NO. Probably not a correct usage of soft brick, but yeah I read several frusterated people with software gimped S4's so as new as I am I'm not going to be a trail blazer quite yet. If I'm wrong I will be happy if someone could enlighten me how to do it semi safely or even some success accounts (understand stuff like this isn't ever 100% with out risk) long post short...Tiger is a wimp haha.

I read that whole post as if I was running out of breath XD
If you're concerned I'd just wait for an official release of a custom recovery for the 4.3 update. A few months ago the AT&T S4 didn't have a custom recovery even though people managed to root their phone.

T1geRKat086

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

fate has it seemingly that I smoke a bowl (nice and legit and legal here in WA now woot) and then post on here somehow. I re read it and I see what you mean.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Yeah me and my girl planning a trip there just for that reason lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

There is a different method I think for the Verizon GS4. I read the forums a lot at XDA there ,I think a section for Verizon GS4. I rooted my wife's GS4 after the OTA to 4.3 with Kingo Android. I read that is it a Malware but software didn't detect any. But as one of the posts says. There is no recovery for the MK2 yet. one has to use SafeStrap and the roms are limited on what can be flashed at this time. Seems ATT and Samsung has locked down the GS4 even tighter than when it was in the box.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

There is a different method I think for the Verizon GS4. I read the forums a lot at XDA there ,I think a section for Verizon GS4. I rooted my wife's GS4 after the OTA to 4.3 with Kingo Android. I read that is it a Malware but software didn't detect any. But as one of the posts says. There is no recovery for the MK2 yet. one has to use SafeStrap and the roms are limited on what can be flashed at this time. Seems ATT and Samsung has locked down the GS4 even tighter than when it was in the box.

I read about some other users here managing to root their Sprint variant GS4 with Kingo root as well. Still no recoveries for any of the S4s as far as I know

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm going to go ahead and assume that I can't just wipe my phone and put it back at the 4.2.2 and older firmware?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nope. Knox doesn't let you downgrade either :\
I guess their own firmware is a security issue...

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

So beyond that - is anyone aware of a custom kernel for the baseband version I'm using? If I can flash custom ROMs on 4.3 and MK2 - I don't mind much else. I wanted to try HyperDrive or CyanogenMod.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Even if you rooted the S4 on 4.3, there is still no way to flash other ROMs or kernels since there is still no custom recoveries for the MK2 baseband. Someone else here on AC said you might still be able to flash ROMs with Safe strap but the list of ROMs is very limited. I'd head over to xda.developers.com and see if there is any progress with 4.3 :)

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Even if you rooted the S4 on 4.3, there is still no way to flash other ROMs or kernels since there is still no custom recoveries for the MK2 baseband. Someone else here on AC said you might still be able to flash ROMs with Safe strap but the list of ROMs is very limited. I'd head over to xda.developers.com and see if there is any progress with 4.3 :)

^^^^^^This.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

that sucks. I shouldn't have updated.

So I'm going to assume that ALSO means that I can't unroot since there are no recoveries?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You can unroot by flashing the stock firmware or unrooting via the SuperSU app

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Lol the update was available when I got the phone from the mail. I should have done some research prior to rooting on MK2.

Okay. So now without being able to flash custom ROMS - what else should I do?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante