Galaxy S4: I've got Root... Now what?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: I've got Root... Now what?

You can still take advantage of apps like Titanium Backup and keep everything backed up there. You can install Xposed framework (Not 100% on this) and customize your phone to death...among other things

Posted via Android Central App

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

My goal is to get everything as close to stock as possible. Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5. So what do I have to do to get this closest to that?

I imagine having to wait until a custom recovery is made for 4.3 and MK2 - then being able to load CyanogenMod or HyperDrive. I've been looking for "skins" or "themes" that would change the look - but I'm uninterested in that. I want as close to the experience as I can get.

I've been on XDA too... I thought I was nerdy. Holy moly.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

My goal is to get everything as close to stock as possible. Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5. So what do I have to do to get this closest to that?

I imagine having to wait until a custom recovery is made for 4.3 and MK2 - then being able to load CyanogenMod or HyperDrive. I've been looking for "skins" or "themes" that would change the look - but I'm uninterested in that. I want as close to the experience as I can get.

I've been on XDA too... I thought I was nerdy. Holy moly.

HyperDrive is a TouchWiz based ROM so that wouldn't do it. Look into the Safestrap method, the ROMs are limited but there is probably a stock Android ROM for it.
Most people here know about XDA :p

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

So what I gathered for HyperDrive is that while it is a TouchWiz based ROM, it would also allow for getting the AOSP experience, or was I reading that wrong? I'll look into Safestrap - if I can get stock without limiting too much functionality, that would be awesome.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

So what I gathered for HyperDrive is that while it is a TouchWiz based ROM, it would also allow for getting the AOSP experience, or was I reading that wrong? I'll look into Safestrap - if I can get stock without limiting too much functionality, that would be awesome.

I think it has Xposed framework by default so you can customize it to look like Stock Android in some regards.
You mentioned that the Nexus 5 wasn't on Verizon, were you planning on returning the S4 or something? The Moto X is as close as you're going to get to a Nexus or GPE and it's on VZW

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

See the problem there is I'm a spec *****. I want future-proof-ability out of my device. I've heard too much about dual-core processors and 1GB RAM devices getting buggy and laggy over time. I'd want to avoid that as much as possible. As it stands with rooting my device so far, I've installed greenify and Titanium Backup - because I really just want to do right by this lovely little device.

Still irked at losing some TouchWiz features if I want to go AOSP - the remote is actually useful. The touch/non-touch stuff is gimmicky, but it's pretty cool.

Someone had a Moto X at work today - but he wouldn't turn it on for me because he wanted time to mess with it himself - which I totally get. Wish I could have compared the two.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X has TRIM so it won't deteriorate performance-wise. My GS4 got laggier over the first few months so I decided to flash an AOSP ROM.
There are some that support the IR remote and TouchWiz camera, since the AOSP camera is decent at best.
Trust me, you won't even be able to tell the difference in specs. Hopefully I can get the X when my Jump upgrade is available

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Coming from a Lumia device - the camera is already lacking on the S4 - but I love everything else about it and the operating system. That said, from the reviews I've read I can see the camera on the Moto X being the only hindrance in making the trade for Moto X. Samsung camera is better... and still pales next to my Lumia 928. Trade off in Operating System and tinker-ability is well worth it though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Coming from a Lumia device - the camera is already lacking on the S4 - but I love everything else about it and the operating system. That said, from the reviews I've read I can see the camera on the Moto X being the only hindrance in making the trade for Moto X. Samsung camera is better... and still pales next to my Lumia 928. Trade off in Operating System and tinker-ability is well worth it though.

Yeah. I'd trade the camera for form factor and stock Android out of the box though

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

With Hyperdrive and a launcher like Nova pro or Apex you won't know you're on TW rom. At least not much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

I take lots of pictures of my son. There's a guy wanting to trade a brand new moto x for an S4 on craigslist though. I wonder if he'll care that I rooted?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I take lots of pictures of my son. There's a guy wanting to trade a brand new moto x for an S4 on craigslist though. I wonder if he'll care that I rooted?

You can always unroot. Let him know just in case

varisnjay

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

Well I have cm 10.2 on rooted sprint s4 on the mk2 ota update.....

Samsung Galaxy S4
4.3 MK2 OTA
Rooted with CM 10.2

T1geRKat086

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Well, I'm a kat! A Tiger Kat. This sure has been informative. Glad we did this.

But yeah, the Hyperdrive ROM I'v had several hours now to poke prod and organize, and I am as happy as I could be with it. Slim compared to stock bloaty verizon/samsung flavor. Every thing I can think to test works flawlessly. Got some crazy 3d theme launchers done so it looks purdy as well.

Chris Birch

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Wish I saw this thread a few weeks ago. I do have the sprint version mk2 build. Used cf auto root through Odin. Bricked phone TWICE trying to flash a rom and kernel. TWRP both times. Fortunately I was within the 2 week period. My advice is don't worry about flashing roms yet. I would download no frills cpu or equivalent and underclock. S4 is so fast already. Save on battery life. BTW flashed lots of roms, kernels and modems on s2 so not a noob.

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

You can always unroot. Let him know just in case

How do you unroot... I continuously have the "Custom" logo on the Samsung splash when I boot the phone. I un-rooted from SuperSU... What else do I need to do?

dedi2034

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Its from safestrap I think im running hyperdrive and I had to go into xposed framework, modules, wanam xposed then security hacks and checked fake systen status. It now says samsung galaxy s4 when it boots up safesgrap is where the words custom rom is coming from I think look up how to remove safestrap if you have that installed,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674