Galaxy S4: 4.3 Build MK2 root?

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Previously, I wanted to root my device but the someone told me I was unable to because my Build ended with MF3. Now with the new update, my Build ends with MK2 instead. My question is am I now able to root my device? I don't know how to do any of this etc but I'm sure there's plenty of guides on how to root. Just want to know if rooting my device is possible now.
Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 4.3 Build MK2 root?

My wife's phone is the GS4 and I had it rooted before an update. Before it was the MDL build. After the update it was MK2. I rooted it again with Kingo Android. I have read that this has some Malware in it but the software on the phone didn't detect anything other than when rooting I got a message about some app that Google play banned from Google Play < I deleted the app and continued with out it and now the phone is rooted and seems to be working just fine. But I have also read that the MK2 has no recovery or limited roms unless your useing Safestrap. On the XDA I read somewhere about another type of root for the MK2 but didn;t save it. Google 'root GS4 with MK2" and it might come up. Other wise go to AT&T, Canadian Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin Samsung Galaxy S 4 - xda-developers which is the XDA forum for the ATT , Canadian GS4 and do some reading.

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

Ahhh I see. I just want to get Google play edition on my phone so my s4 can finally be lag free without all that bloatware

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Ahhh I see. I just want to get Google play edition on my phone so my s4 can finally be lag free without all that bloatware

At this point ,I don't think it will happen at least not with the GS4 on the MK2 build. There is no recovery, other than SafeStrap, and very limited custom roms that can be flashed. Maybe the dev's at XDA will come up with something in the near future, seems they always do. This time around with the phone upgrade I decided to get the GS4 and let my wife have it. I got the HTC One from a HTC One X. Messing with the GS4 I have come to the conclusion that I will not again upgrade and get a Samsung device. I did a lot of reading before upgrading and had the experience with HTC phones. Much easier to root and play with plus more customs than the Samsung group IMO. Samsung and ATT have locked the security down so tight , not much can be done with it now.

varisnjay

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm rooted on 4.3 mk2 on Galaxy S4 with CyanogenMod 10.2....

Samsung Galaxy S4
4.3 MK2 OTA
Rooted with CM 10.2

varisnjay

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

OK I will

2013-12-31%2020.33.56.png

Samsung Galaxy S4
4.3 MK2 OTA
Rooted with CM 10.2

Last edited:

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

For the GS4 and root you might check this out [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers . There are other answers there to this question with some reading and search you might find it out. When I rooted my wife's GS4 I couldn't find a root method other than Kingo Android , it rooted, installed SuperSu and Root Checker verified root. Kingo has been reported as a Malware but I haven't seen an issue with it. Keep in mind tho there is no factory image that I know of to return to stock if you screw up and SafeStrap is the only recovery that I know of for the GS4 with limited roms for flashing now , but the dev's are working I am sure. You might check this forum out since its an official Samsung forum there are sections for rooting and roms there plus a Q&A Faq's area to read too.Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

buckin1850

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

What ever happened with the steps to flash cm10.2? Stupid excited if this is true. I just got a OTA forced update to 4.3 to mk2 from 4.2.2. would love to put cm11 on my phone if possible. i see they have nightlys available, so there has to be a way to flash a custom rom! please anyone help! I've been researching for a week with the mf3 build and now that it got updated i feel at a lose!

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

How do you do it?! I've been searching forever for a clear answer.

He didn't. There is no way to flash cyanogenmod on the at&t galaxy s4 (which i assume is the one we are talking about) if it came with the MF3 from the store. CM does not run on the stock samsung kernel, and there is no way to install custom kernels.

He is either lying, or his phone had an MDB or MDL build, he rooted, installed recovery, installed a partial update to MK2 (custom built), installed a custom kernel and then updated to cyanogenmod. Not to mention, in the picture he posted MK2 is just the baseband, that means he flashed the MK2 modem file, nothing more. Look at the kernel, its custom, it only means he had an MDB/MDL build before he flashed it and lokified it.

EDIT: he is running the sprint version of the S4 (sph-L720), which means his bootloader is not and never was locked, duh...

NickH17

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

He didn't. There is no way to flash cyanogenmod on the at&t galaxy s4 (which i assume is the one we are talking about) if it came with the MF3 from the store. CM does not run on the stock samsung kernel, and there is no way to install custom kernels.

He is either lying, or his phone had an MDB or MDL build, he rooted, installed recovery, installed a partial update to MK2 (custom built), installed a custom kernel and then updated to cyanogenmod. Not to mention, in the picture he posted MK2 is just the baseband, that means he flashed the MK2 modem file, nothing more. Look at the kernel, its custom, it only means he had an MDB/MDL build before he flashed it and lokified it.

EDIT: he is running the sprint version of the S4 (sph-L720), which means his bootloader is not and never was locked, duh...

Oh damn that slipped right past me. I'm on Verizon, which is currently MK2 and I'm thinking wait, that's impossible... but I still had a small but of hope lol. I want Cyanogenmod so badly.

Bijiont

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Oh damn that slipped right past me. I'm on Verizon, which is currently MK2 and I'm thinking wait, that's impossible... but I still had a small but of hope lol. I want Cyanogenmod so badly.

Yeah if you are on MK2 you are pretty much boned until they are able to release a custom recovery for it.

Not to rub it in but CM11 is very nice on Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4. I am on MDK baseband and never updated because I root phones the moment I get them.

Edthemeatman

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Kingo Android Root - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

worked perfectly for me...BUT, here's the catch. Once phone is rooted, and there's a new Samsung system update, you have to unroot the phone, restoring phone to "stock", and reinstall all previous factory updates, and then reroot the phone. Samsung has programmed their new system downloads to not install on rooted Samsung phones.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Kingo Android Root - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

worked perfectly for me...BUT, here's the catch. Once phone is rooted, and there's a new Samsung system update, you have to unroot the phone, restoring phone to "stock", and reinstall all previous factory updates, and then reroot the phone. Samsung has programmed their new system downloads to not install on rooted Samsung phones.

Too much trouble for me at the moment. I don't feel the need to root this great phone, I'll pass, for now.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

varisnjay

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

sorry been very busy yu all and i have a s4 and i did have cm10 and cm11 also installed right now imma running sacs rom also was running avatar on mk2 firmware imma be on for a little while if you have question i will walk you thru

quelion731

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone know which custom ROMs will work with the Galaxy S4 (MK2) running android 4.3 booted using SafeStrap?
Screenshot_2014-01-22-19-47-36.jpg
Screenshot_2014-01-22-12-36-28.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-22-12-36-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-22-12-36-28.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital