Restoring a Nandroid backup from External SD card: Files not found?

Fleetknight

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I made a nandroid backup of my phone before shipping it off for a repair. I have it back now and want to restore my nandroid backup I had on the External SD card, but when I went to the Clockwork Recovery Mod portion on the card and selected the backup there, I got a message saying "Files not found". Any ideas as to what I can do?

It's Philz Touch Recovery if that makes any difference.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I ran into this, too. Try this:

Boot into recovery, and create a NEW nandroid backup. Then boot normally, and use a file explorer (or connect the phone to a PC) and find the folder where Philz put the new backup folder. Copy the OLD backup folder to the same location. Then reboot back into recovery. Philz should find it in the new location.

To be more specific. I use TWRP, so the folder names may be different, but the concept is the same. My nandroid backups are in a folder structure that looks like this:

(root)
-------- TWRP
------------- BACKUPS
-------------------- 541ee25a
-------------------------- Backup folder 1 (whatever I named it)
-------------------------- Backup folder 2
-------------------------- Backup folder n.....

Copy your old backup folder so it's inside the folder 541ee25a (in my case), at the same level as Backup folder 1, etc.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I ran into this, too. Try this:

Boot into recovery, and create a NEW nandroid backup. Then boot normally, and use a file explorer (or connect the phone to a PC) and find the folder where Philz put the new backup folder. Copy the OLD backup folder to the same location. Then reboot back into recovery. Philz should find it in the new location.

To be more specific. I use TWRP, so the folder names may be different, but the concept is the same. My nandroid backups are in a folder structure that looks like this:

(root)
-------- TWRP
------------- BACKUPS
-------------------- 541ee25a
-------------------------- Backup folder 1 (whatever I named it)
-------------------------- Backup folder 2
-------------------------- Backup folder n.....

Copy your old backup folder so it's inside the folder 541ee25a (in my case), at the same level as Backup folder 1, etc.

^ This ^
For some reason, even with TWRP, some folders don't show unless you move them into a new one or move them up a level.

Posted via Android Central App

Fleetknight

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
A few questions on that:

-Do I create the new backup on my external sd card?

-A file explorer won't work without root will it? I unrooted with SuperSU and factory reset my phone before shipping it off but it still had Philz Recovery on it. I haven't even done anything with the phone since I got it except to boot into recovery to try and restore the Nandroid backup. Also, my computer doesn't ever recognize my phone.

I Google'd around and got this as a result but I didn't think that my recovery would save on my internal storage since the backup was made external (I only had around 1.5GB internal storage before I made the nandroid and then factory reset).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Either internal or external. Wherever you want your future backups to go.

These files are not in the system partition, so any file explorer should work, even if you're not rooted.

Fleetknight

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Either internal or external. Wherever you want your future backups to go.

These files are not in the system partition, so any file explorer should work, even if you're not rooted.

Ok I just booted up and used the stock Galaxy S4 file finder and it shows the new clockwork backup saved to the external SD card in the same folder as the old one. There's another folder for clockwork backup located in storage/emulated/0 on the phones memory, but it has no backup files in it.

So where should I move the backup files to get a nandroid restore?

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't run CWM, so I'm not sure what the file structure is. Can you list it, as I did for TWRP above, and point out your new and older backup folders?

Thanks.

Fleetknight

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't run CWM, so I'm not sure what the file structure is. Can you list it, as I did for TWRP above, and point out your new and older backup folders?

Thanks.

For me it's

External SD card
-------- clockworkMod
------------- backup
--------------------1970-07-29.13.27.43_JDQ39.m919....(The old backup)
--------------------1970-01-01.22.41.24_JDQ39.M919... (The new backup)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm stumped then. If the old and new are in the same folder, I don't know why CWM won't see it. With TWRP, my old backup was in a different folder, and copying into the same one (backup, in your case) made it visible.

Are the 1970-0x-xx..... entries above folders or files? If they are folder, this might be worth a try:

Copy both your backups (heck, I'd copy the entire folder structure above) to you PC, so you don't lose anything. The open the 1970-01-01 folder (the new backup) on your phone, and delete all the files. Then copy all the files from the 1970-07-29 folder (the old backup) into the 1970-01-01 folder.

See if CWM will restore the old backup from the new folder.

Fleetknight

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm stumped then. If the old and new are in the same folder, I don't know why CWM won't see it. With TWRP, my old backup was in a different folder, and copying into the same one (backup, in your case) made it visible.

Are the 1970-0x-xx..... entries above folders or files? If they are folder, this might be worth a try:

Copy both your backups (heck, I'd copy the entire folder structure above) to you PC, so you don't lose anything. The open the 1970-01-01 folder (the new backup) on your phone, and delete all the files. Then copy all the files from the 1970-07-29 folder (the old backup) into the 1970-01-01 folder.

See if CWM will restore the old backup from the new folder.

They're both folders and the contents are all the files, like the .tar and such. I contacted the Philz Touch developer and he directed me to this FAQ entry. If I'm understanding correctly, the files have to be put in that directory? The Nandroid backup is 7.38GB or so though, and my phone had 6.44 after factory reset (I'm guessing some stuff auto-restored). So I wouldn't know how to proceed if I'm to move everything to internal storage.

stylewalk footcare

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
in philz search for twrp mode which is in nandroid misc settings and tick twrp mode then go back to backup/restore and touch restore from sdcard1(as you have the backup in sd card) there will be your backup.but i have a question how to restore it?