Need help rooting Sprint S4 - SPH-L720T

joesake

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up the S4 yesterday from Sprint. I had the Sprint S2 and S3 previously and this is the first time I've ran into trouble with rooting. The main thing I'm trying to do right now is get it rooted and be able to use WiFi sharing. I used WiFi Tether previously on my rooted S2 and S3. Any help would be appreciated. Here is all of the information for my device, not sure what is relevant and what is not:

SW and Baseband version read the same: L720TVPUAMK5
Hardware version: L720T.03
Model Number: SPH-L720T
Android Version: 4.3
Kernel Version:
3.4.0-2099174
se.infra@R0210-09 #1
Build Number: JSS15J.L720TVPUAMK5
SELinux status:
Enforcing
SEPF_SPH-L720T_4.3_0012
Secure boot status: Type: Samsung

When I got the device home I started looking around for root methods. I've always used the ones described here but for some reason I stumbled upon galaxyS4root.com. I attempted to root the device using the CWM method shown here: How to Root Galaxy S4! [CWM Method][GT-i9500][GT-i9505][T-Mobile][Sprint] | GalaxyS4Root.com.

Everything seemed successful with the procedure, but when I got to the end and brought my device back up and launched Super SU, instead of updating the binaries it showed a message asking if I wanted it to attempt to disable KNOX. Being unfamiliar with KNOX I read up a bit and decided to choose yes to disable KNOX based on what I had read. It said it successfully disabled it but it never updated the binaries. I also could not get my root wifi tether app to work. I've tried a few other methods since then and none are working. As it sits right now I have root check which states that the device does not have root access. I do not have Super SU or Superuser on the device.

When I go into download mode it reads the following at the top left:

Product Name: SPH-L720T
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
KNOX Kernel Lock: 0x0
KNOX Warranty Void: 0x1
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
Write Protection: Enable
eMMC Burst Mode enabled

When I go into Recovery mode I get the picture of the android guy laying on his back with the red triangle above the chest. The yellow text reads:

# Manual Mode #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : SPR
Successfully applied multi-CSC.

The standard Android system recovery options are at the top in blue.

Again, I'm not sure what is relevant and what is not, but I'd rather put too much info rather than not enough. Normally I would just do a factory reset with the device kind of in limbo right now but I read a warning on the sticky Root thread here to not do that. Again, any help would be appreciated as I would really like to get this one rooted and be able to use it as a hotspot. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Try flashing CWM again. Get into Download mode and use Odin to flash CWM, I am specifically looking at Step 5.

luto

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar cell phone too (Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 4 SPH-L720T). I soliciting for help on how to get it unlocked in order to use it internationally.

denschwindt

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar cell phone too (Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 4 SPH-L720T). I soliciting for help on how to get it unlocked in order to use it internationally.
The instructions in the link above is for the sph-l720 which is different than the l720t. I tried rooting my 720t with 720 files and bricked it. Lucky I could get to download mode and restore the stock firmware. You need to go to this link it works.... m.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6bBq3TRas&feature=youtu.be I used it it works.

denschwindt

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The instructions in the link above is for the sph-l720 which is different than the l720t. I tried rooting my 720t with 720 files and bricked it. Lucky I could get to download mode and restore the stock firmware. You need to go to this link it works....*m.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6bBq3TRas&feature=youtu.be*I used it it works.

ferdamshur

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody tried these instruction for the L720T?

(I only have one post, so cannot post links :()

duetips dot com /2014/03/root-sprint-galaxy-s4-sph-l720t-on.html

miskreant

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I was able to successfully root my sph-l720t earlier today using the towelroot method...I ended up voiding the warranty but it's definitely rooted, I was able to flash TWRP recovery as well. I've got the NG5 firmware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon