How Do I Delete the OTA Update and Its Notification Bar Alert/Icon?

limoman

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted Sprint S4 that recently auto-downloaded the latest OTA update. However, because my phone is rooted, I can't install this update. How do I delete the update - or at least remove the icon in the notification bar that I have the "System Update Downloaded - touch to install"? Thanks.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I found this on another site:

How to Disable OTA updates on a Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

If you have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 you can delete these two files ?fota.client.apk? and ?fwupgrade.apk? with root explorer in system/apps. If you get an error that ?filesystem is write protected, just make sure while using root explorer click on R/W button at the top. If you have installed an stock rooted odexed version, you can also include these two files ?fotaclient.odex? and ?fwupgrade.odex?. You can also use this features if you have Titanium Backup by freezing or deleting them eventually.

• Run the ?Root explorer? app
  • Mount /system as read/write
  • Navigate to /system/app/
  • Delete these fota.client.apk? and ?fwupgrade.apk?
  • You can also delete these ?fotaclient.odex? and ?fwupgrade.odex?.
  • Reboot
Another method is by renaming a certain system apps to prevent it coming, you must have a root level file manager or use ?ES File Explorer?.

• Run the ?Root explorer? app
  • Mount /system as read/write
  • Navigate to /system/app/
  • Rename ?wssyncmldm.apk? to ?wssyncmldm.apk.bak?
  • Reboot
However, this solution will only work in short term, the update comes back to haunt you again after a certain period of time. There is an apps called OTA Root keeper from Google Play Store that you should try to use, It?s an apps that temporarily removes and keep the root from your device once you apply any OTA updates and then simply re-root back again once the update has finished.

limoman

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I found a simple way to remove the notification that the update has been downloaded and is ready to install. Just long press it from the notification pane. Then go to "App Info" and uncheck the show notifications box. It doesn't remove the downloaded file, but at least removes the notification alert.

RtPktRED

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
The posting refers to the on by the Moderator dated 03-14-14.

I see this post is from early 2014. So I'm late in the game, lol. I have never yet posted anything onto a board before. So I an not sure if postings about 3/4 of a year later are seen but anyway here goes:

I tried your method to remove the files but when I get to root\system\app the file names you indicate to delete are not there. I wonder if you can shed some light for me either I'm doing something wrong or maybe things have changed since your last post. I just don't know. I have a rooted LG Volt LS740. Thank you for your help.

foziamahboub

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, the same problem is with me. i have downloaded the new update version it says XDMService and the below is the description com.wssyncmldm. i am trying to disable it but that icons are disabled... how do i remove it from the notification bar?

Please help, i have tried going through the root explorer but i couldnt find it there :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos