Galaxy S4: Is there a root method/bootloader unlock method for 4.4.2 yet?

buckwheatdx

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the GS4 on AT&T. I currently have 4.2.2 (rooted) installed and have held off on upgrading because I saw there were issues with the SD card after the update. I recently saw however that there has been a workaround created that requires root. Has a solid root method been devised for this phone/version yet?

P.S. I'm sorry if the question has been answered recently but I didn't see it on the first few pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there a root method/bootloader unlock method for 4.4.2 yet?

Ok let me just say this no and no no root no boot loader unlock there may not be an unlock ever :( and as far as rooting goes the only root method that works for 4.4.2 flashes an unsecure kernel then reflashes the official which gives it root but being the boot loader is locked we cannot flash custom kernels so basically you need to root to unlock the boot loader but the exploit that does work means you need an unlocked boot loader which means its freaking hopeless the only successful rooted phones are from factory unlocked (anyphones thats not at&t and verizon)

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

Last edited:

buckwheatdx

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying root is possible, but unsafe? I figured an unlock was doubtful. Root is really all I wanted to be able to fix the SD card issues.

Posted via Android Central App

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
No im saying you need an unlocked boot loader to root with the exploit known it only works with the unlocked boot loaders you cant flash an un official kernel on a locked boot loader period so for now UNTIL WE FIND A WHOLE NEW EXPLOIT ALL TOGEATHER THERE IS NO ROOT FOR THE KIT KAT THANK AT&T AND VERIZON SO THE ANSWER ISNT NO BUT HELL NO AT&T AND VERIZON HATE ANY CHANGE TOU MAKE AND WANT IT STOCK AS POSSIBLE AND THE ENCRIPTION THEY HAVE ON THE BOOTLOADER WAS DEVELOPED BY THE DAMNED NSA SE LENOX IS AN NSA ENCRIPTION FOR MOST PEOPLE THAT DONT KNOW THANKS TO KNOX AND THE LOCKED BOOT LOADER THE S4 IS THE FIRST ANDROID PHONE CLEARED BY THE DOD FOR PENTAGON EMPLOYEES GUESS WHICH CAREIERS THEY USE?? DING DING DING VERIZON/AT&T SO BASICALLY YOU NEED A FREAKING SUPER COMPUTER TO CRACK IT

So no if your on a locked boot loader no root exploit exist period for kit kat dont seem like much but the rsa key is about 87 bits or more but you consider there can be 5 digits in a bit you begin to see the complexity and magnitude of such a key now if there was only a way to catch an ota upload it to a computer and attempt to extract that rsa key to unlock the nand partition we would have full controll

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes!!!!!!!!! If your on 4.2.3 mk2 there is a way to get a pre rooted kit kat rom :) and it simply requires a special tool and odin to flash the mdl files

Pm me for the secret sauce as this is only for the AT&T locked boot loader on 4.3 I don't want people bricking their devices and blame me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

CorbinR

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Pm me for the secret sauce as this is only for the AT&T locked boot loader on 4.3 I don't want people bricking their devices and blame me

Please help with my VZW Samsung's S4 or do you know of someone that can.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Please help with my VZW Samsung's S4 or do you know of someone that can.

To root it?? Safe root on xda as long as you have a windows machine run the scripts

shinzu06

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there a root method/bootloader unlock method for 4.4.2 yet?

I know this is old but I have an att s4 and need to unlock the bootloader. Is there a way to do this

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The only unlockable boot loader is on 4.2.2 if your on 4.3 (mk2) ot 4.4.2 (mdl) you will not be able to unlock the boot loader

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Can you still down flash to 4.2.2 if your at 4.3 mk2?

Not really you can't downgrade to the unlock able boot loader people who tried hard bricked
So once you took the mk2 (4.3) otg you screwed yourself this is only for the gs4 at&t and Verizon models every other carrier sprint t mobile us cellular unlocked

Dany Manzanares

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
i havent find a way to unlock bootloaders yet .....but i rooted my att s4 with towelroot and instaled safestrap..... flashed a verizon rom carhd 28 that supports safestrap and the NI1 module... ..... worked very well .....system dialer doesnt work due to verizon romand you cant flash costum kernel on safestrap ..... but i installed exdialer from the play store ...and everything work fine :)

janshermarri

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
You can install safestrap recovery, which also has the option to create different ROM slots. But there's still a catch, you can only flash TouchWiz based ROMs, other ROMs will simply not boot. Flashfire is also an option. Too much disappointed that I can't install TWRP or CWM. :(
Installed safestrap on S4 I337 (4.4.2 OB1 Rooted). :)

cicuye

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe that someone hasn't found a way around Verizon and ATT's shenanigans! I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 SCH-1545, was able to root, install a new launcher but I cannot get around that damn bootstrap to flash a rom. Is it possible to remove/ get around this da#& thing? I'm out from under my contract with Verizon, I'd like to "soup up" my phone because I don't want to buy a new one and sign a stupid contract. I love Verizon's data coverage and service but their desire to limit what we do with our own devices is not right. Input?

neuromonkey

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Nope. The easiest solution is to get an S4 that's never been updated to Android 5.0.1 with the MDK bootloader. If you start with KitKat, root, install all the goodies, there are ROMs that'll bring things up to 5.1.1 (maybe beyond,) without the hideous, horrible locked bootloader. Avoid Samsung Kies, it'll pull the rug out from under you.

If you already have 5.0.1 and the OC1 or OF1 baseband installed, this thread has a lot of good information. Wondershare MobileGo is a great tool.

There's one custom ROM (that I know of) that OC1/OF1 users can flash: stang5litre. With the locked bootloader, you can't flash custom recovery tools, which is required for most ROM fun, as well as the Xposed Framework. You can still use stuff like L-Speed, though.

Have fun!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope. The easiest solution is to get an S4 that's never been updated to Android 5.0.1 with the MDK bootloader. If you start with KitKat, root, install all the goodies, there are ROMs that'll bring things up to 5.1.1
Since it's the ROM that gets rooted, you might end up with an unrootable S4, and have to wipe out that ROM by installing a rooted 5.0.1 ROM (if you can find one). You flash a rooted ROM, or you flash an unrooted ROM and root it - rooting, THEN flashing a ROM is wasting the effort it took to root the phone. Flashing a ROM wipes EVERYTHING out (including rooting).

With the locked bootloader, you can't flash custom recovery tools
Which negates most of the rest of this - and which is why George Hotz invented Towel Root. ROMs in Samsung Verizon and AT&T phones have to be modifications of the stock ROM (including the stock bootloader).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22