Just upgraded to s4.

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So I just upgraded to the Sprint Galaxy S4. They upgraded it to KitKat in the store. My question is does Knox mess with me trying to root it? Is there a different way to root it with Knox on there?

Sent from my Galaxy S4!

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi weston87. As far as I know, there is no viable (and safe) root for KitKat as of yet. Keep an eye on this forum as well as xda-developers forum. Here is the url for that site:

Android Development and Hacking - xda-developers

For what it's worth, I am rooted on Jelly Bean. I disabled Knox (as well as many other bloatware apps). Unfortunately, I do not believe you can downgrade to Jelly Bean from KitKat.

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I want to root my phone but I don't want to void the warranty on the phone in case something happened to it.

Sent using Tapatalk

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I want to root my phone but I don't want to void the warranty on the phone in case something happened to it.

I expect more senior members of the forum will chime in but, in my opinion, I think every variation of root will void the phone's warranty. Once a viable KitKat root is available, there may also be a way to reverse the root and get the device back to what would appear to be a "stock" state. I placed stock in quotes because every root option I have ever used placed a custom flag on the device in one way or another. If the sales person does not know what to look for, you may get lucky.

Everything comes back to the fact that every variation of root will void your device's warranty. The choice to root is solely on each person. Hope that makes sense. I am sure more comments will go through shortly.

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had an s3 that was rooted and had problems taking it in for warranty issues. So I guess what your saying is just wait a while before I root my S4?

Sent from my Galaxy S4!

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I guess what your saying is just wait a while before I root my S4?

In your case, and please correct me if I am wrong, rooting may not be in your best interest. Rooting is not for those concerned about warranty replacements. I have rooted each of my Android devices knowing the risk of possibly not being able to get warranty work done. If I were you, I would not perform any rooting until there is a verifiable root process that either (1) can be reversed with no trace of rooting or (2) leaves no visible indication the device is rooted.

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I guess so. I was a little worried about it when I rooted my S3 as well. I do take good care of my phones. And have really never had anything done to the warranty wise.

Sent from my Galaxy S4!